Author Topic: Be Prepared for the Unexpected  (Read 4549 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Be Prepared for the Unexpected
« on: October 02, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
The Cape will test any vehicle, car and camper.

Recommendations

As we will be tackling the OTL some of these crossings we will be dragging the camper on its draw bar so always make sure that nothing protrudes under this as it will break off.

As most campers now have the wheels set further back the ground clearance from the draw bar will be a lot less.If you have to please install air bags in the back of the car as this will help in giving some ground clearance and lifting up the rear of the car.Over the coming months could all members have some flat pieces of timber to put in the tool box such as off cuts of treated pine sleepers big enough that can fit under the wheels of both car and camper. These are ideal if we need to lift the vehicles a little higher doing some crossings. 2 pieces would be enough. I have done this on numerous occasions and it works well. They are also great for filling in small ruts on crossings. They also come in handy when placing the Jockey wheel on soft ground.  

Always have easy access to tools IE jacks, hammers, thick fencing wire. Spare bearings for the camper, ubolts etc should also be easy to access. All these should be in the tool box at the front of the camper.Recovery gear such as snatch straps, D shackles should also be in the tool box.

Also a shovel should be easy to access. Best place is on the roof rack of the car.

Spare wheels should be checked and inflated ready to be changed in case of a flat.

Water bras or sheets should be ready to use for water crossings with jockey straps.

There is nothing worse than be stuck and pulling half the car apart looking for this gear as this will slow us all down.

The roads change every year as do the crossings so we need to be prepared for unexpected.

We will need some members to bring a chain saw.  

Palm Creek last trip caused the most damage especially on stone guards and tool boxes.

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: Be Prepared for the Unexpected
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
With the weather being very unseasonal there is talk of a big wet season next year so the creek crossings could be  a real challenge.

The main crossings that will be a challenge will be Palm Creek getting a reputation more than Gunshot and thats the first crossing on the OTL.

Dulhunty is fine then Gunshot will be interesting and if we have to we can bypass this.

Cockatoo creek has a rocky bottom and depending on the water level should be no problem.

The northern OTL will be the hardest with Sams creek, just after twin falls, always changing as is cannibal creek with a steep drive in and out. The log bridge was easy last trip as long as the logs are still good while nolans brook the main obstacle. This crossing is notorious for drowning cars but with careful planning we will be fine.

If any one heading on this trip feels that this may be too much for them please let me know as there are by passes and if I deem a crossing too dangerous we will turn back or by pass it.

The itinerary can change depending on the conditions so please keep this in mind.

Mark     

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »
I might have to install a lift kit and some bigger tyres  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline Spender

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
Mark

I am assuming a rooftop tent would resolve the trailer issues!!!  Would you see any downsides re using a roof top tent as I am seriously considering one as it will just be me and my 11 year old son doing the trip?

Cheers

Martin
White 2012 GXL Prado, Petrol, auto, 60ltr Waeco, 2009 Vacation Camper, MySwag sticker, lots of recovery gear including new Maxtraks

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:36:10 AM »
Mark

I am assuming a rooftop tent would resolve the trailer issues!!!  Would you see any downsides re using a roof top tent as I am seriously considering one as it will just be me and my 11 year old son doing the trip?

Cheers

Martin

Roof top tent would be fine. Mate I would hate to climb out of one when drunk. ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:46:22 AM »
When I did the cape in 89 we slept on the roof rack . Had a sponge double in a tarp with swags .
I reckon that at night nasty things are able to crawl or slither about  & I didn't want to find out what . Sleep on the roof , if the nastys can get up there they can have me . & dont roll out of bed
                                                   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Spender

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
I don't think I will even make it up into bed (too many ports can do that to you!!) - reclining front seat for me and the boy can have the matress.  Much safer option.
White 2012 GXL Prado, Petrol, auto, 60ltr Waeco, 2009 Vacation Camper, MySwag sticker, lots of recovery gear including new Maxtraks

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
Hi Guys,
A chainsaw is a standard item that I take with me, so Mark thats one chainsaw for certain that will be in the convoy.
cheers Duggie.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
Hi Guys,
A chainsaw is a standard item that I take with me, so Mark thats one chainsaw for certain that will be in the convoy.
cheers Duggie.

Duggie

They do come in handy I am in the process of getting a new chain for mine.

Mark

Offline geoffnvi

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »
Mark,

Ill also be carying a chainsaw.

cheers
Geoff
Modcon Imperial HF Towed by Prado Kakadu V6
Now - OppLock Bar, Lightforce 240's, Traxide USI 160 DB, Twin Yellowtop Batts, Featherlite Awning, Safari Snorkel, Runva 11XP.
To Come - Bilstein Suspension