Author Topic: In Preparation for the 2011 Cape York Trip  (Read 5444 times)

Offline idlegossip

• Soft Floor Camper User
In Preparation for the 2011 Cape York Trip
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

In early preparation for this trip and it being the first of this kind in a remote area for us, I would like to know what would be minimal requirements for a trip of this calibre:

Questions running through my mind are as follows:

1. How much fuel would I need to carry? Now I know this would depend on how thirsty the beast is, but what would be the distances between refueling points? Also is LPG available up there?

2. How much water would we need to carry per person? Is drinking water available at all overnight stops? what should be a rule of thumb on this 5Lt per person per day?

3. In regards to vehicle preparation what should I take into account re spare parts? From these that did the trip last year any wise words of advise on this front? i know you can never be prepared for every scenario.

What else would I need to take into account on such a trip?

Some early advise on preparation of vehicle and camper would be helpful for people to start thinking about earlier rather than later. It also makes it easier to budget for with a longer lead time.

Any additional advise would be appreciated.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: In Preparation for the 2011 Cape York Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »
Hi Idlegossip

Answers to your questions.

1. How much fuel would I need to carry? Now I know this would depend on how thirsty the beast is, but what would be the distances between refueling points? Also is LPG available up there?

No LPG. There are fuel stops at every place we will pass. A we are not heading to Chilli Beach the longest distance will be approx 200 klm.The dearest spot for fuel is Bramwell Junction. I Will have a guess and say by June 2011 $2.50 per litre. That's why I carry Jerry cans. 

2. How much water would we need to carry per person? Is drinking water available at all overnight stops? what should be a rule of thumb on this 5Lt per person per day?

I drink 5Lt of beer a day.Water is available from all places we will visit.The Creeks have very clean water but would still boil it.

3. In regards to vehicle preparation what should I take into account re spare parts? From those that did the trip last year any wise words of advise on this front? i know you can never be prepared for every scenario.

I have started a Vehicle and Camper requirements section.

What else would I need to take into account on such a trip?

Do not try and bring 2 weeks of food. We top up at the Cape with meat and other necessities.Will go into more detail as we get closer.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline idlegossip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:41:24 PM »
Thanks Mark,

Very helpful. Cost isn't the concern as much as range is. Having removed my second 90Lt tank was the concern, but approx 200k is definitely no prob.

5 Lt of beer isn't bad but alittle to much for the kids at such a tender age of 11 and 6.

Also had a look at the additional sections you started and a great starting point.

The question is more aimed to allow people as much time to get themselves prepared and thinking about what mods they would need to make to their setups for a trip like this.

Very much appreciated

Theo

Offline brains

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »
A question for us is what requirements for battery power are there?  Will we require enough battery power for just overnight stops on the way up or for extended days at some of the stopovers as opposed to camping at powered sites.  Just in the process of looking into a second battery for the Prado and possibly a power pack for the CT.

Paul   
Black GXL Prado 150 and Cavalier Offroad Camper Trailer

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:53:57 AM »

Paul

Depending on what you are running ie fridge, lights etc. I would recommend a dual battery for the car as a minimum.

There will be 2 night stopovers without power.

I have a dual battery in the cruiser and a 100amp hr battery in the camper as I run 2 fridges. :cheers:

Mark

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline qikfor

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »
Hi Idlegossip

Answers to your questions.

No LPG. There are fuel stops at every place we will pass. A we are not heading to Chilli Beach the longest distance will be approx 200 klm.The dearest spot for fuel is Bramwell Junction. I Will have a guess and say by June 2011 $2.50 per litre. That's why I carry Jerry cans. 

Mark

Mark
I am not traveling with you guys but I am looking at heading up there this year, and I am looking at heading to chilli beach what is the restiction with fuel at chilli beach? is there none there?

Thanks
Browny

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
Mark
I am not traveling with you guys but I am looking at heading up there this year, and I am looking at heading to chilli beach what is the restiction with fuel at chilli beach? is there none there?

Thanks
Browny

No restiction on fuel. If you want to top up I would suggest Archer river. Then mayber Bramwell Juction but this place will be the most expensive on the Cape. You can top up at Lockhart River but being an alcohol restiction zone make sure you do not have any in the car leave it at camp.

Chilli Beach can and will be very windy there. I have not included it in this trip as it is a fair drive in so be prepared.

Mark