Author Topic: 2011 Cape York Members Trip  (Read 34187 times)

Offline jthgodfrey

• Swag User
Re: 2011 Cape York Members Trip
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »
so what is the final count and when do we need to start the prep work

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2010, 08:31:45 AM »
so what is the final count and when do we need to start the prep work

We will look at the final count in December as to who can make the trip for those who put their name down. The hardest thing is it would be impossible to take 43 cars in one go so i will look at doing 2 groups with the number I have. I cannot take any more names as organising this amount of cars and campers we would be slowing everyone down and would not be able to get into some places.

Stay tuned.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline tropicbird54

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Yay! CT owner at last!
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »
Mark,

I have a stock 2005 Prado, sovereign bullbar, snorkel, BFG AT tyres, Std shocks, no lift.  I have to replace the front shocks at the next service. Is this vehicle as it stands up to doing the cape. Anything I should be thinking of in the way of enhancements?

Mal 
Hubby and I did the Cape mid 2008 with a standard 2005 3lt diesel manual Prado with snorkel, all terrain tyres only. Weren't towing anything - went in convoy with our son "dorey76", who was towing a Trackabout.  Awesome trip. Did the old Telegraph track and Frenchmans track - Prado never missed a beat.   We so want to do the Cape again one day when we have our own camper trailer but it won't be next year. Will have the camper by mid year and are off to visit our son who now lives in the NT.  Highly recommend the Cape - great adventure.  Sharyn

Offline Garry

• Swag User
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
If its early June I would love to come as off work for 6 weeks

You have mentioned a few people interested but is there a tally as such? Just wondering as it would interesting to see

And as previously mentioned somewhere are pets allowed and I heard a nasty rumor about no alcohol up there due to restrictions, I would hate to get to the top and not open a cold one

G
Once you make something idiot proof God makes a better idiot

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:40 PM »
Garry

At the moment I have alot of members who have their name down already. I would like to take everyone but impossible to do. I will look at the current members in december who are on the list and go from there as I have to work out getting everyone into places.

Mark 

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline NicholasJ

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
G'day All,

I am new to the forum (have just starting looking for a CT), but am keen to do a Cape York run in the future (obviously not this year). I know there is lots on info regarding Cake York, and what to bring in the forum, but just have a question about your vehicle, and though I'd ask the people in the know......

I have a 2003 Disco II diesel, it's pretty standard, only add ons are a bullbar and cargo carrier. Am going to invest in some new suspension (with a lift) when we get our CT, and some new AT tyres (as current ones are getting to the end of their life). Have some recovery gear, snatch strap and high lift jack. Can anyone suggest any other requirements, vehicle wise, only other thing that comes to mind is a snorkel looking at some of those creek crossings.

Cheers,

Nick

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »
Hi Nick

A snorkel and what else you are going to get is ok for a Cape Trip.

Mark

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
If this bloody rain doesn't stop soon I'll be extending my snorkel up another 3 feet,  ;D that should keep us above the water line  :cheers:

Looking forward to the challenges of the Cape this year............it should be a trip to remember.

Make sure you all have plenty of video time on your cameras, we might even make it onto Funniest Home Videos.  ;D

John K
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
JK, I think you are spot on with the amount of water that is going to be around. I am trying to design a prop to install on the back of the patrol ;D . If I bog up all the air intakes and seal the doors, it should float. :laugh: :laugh:

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
Frosty.. Don't forget the Tirfor and gloves mate. Is Nat up to winching yet  ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2011, 01:02:05 PM »
The tirfor is the first thing being put in with a new set of gloves. Wore the last set out, lifting sandstone around the house. Nats getting better.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline NicholasJ

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
Thanks Mark. Hopefully will be up for it in 2012 or 2013.

Cheers,

Nick