Author Topic: The Trip Report !!! Finally Done...  (Read 18027 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
The Trip Report !!! Finally Done...
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Apologies for the delay but was having problems with Austarlia post so I will use what pics I have.

Day 1
Well after another year of planning the day finally arrives. We gathered at the shopping centre where we meet new faces and while catching up with some old faces.After the meet and greet we headed north along the coast rd to Mossman for our first toilet stop. Jk, Yogi and Symon parted company here to go ahead and tackle the Crebb Track. The rest then headed to the daintree ferry and travelled the scenic bloomfield track before stopping for a beer or 3 at the Lions Den hotel. Endeavour falls caravan park was the next stop to rest and spend the next day exploring cooktown and chatting to the other members giving them an indication on what lies ahead for the Cape adventure.

The park offers plenty of grassed campsites and a play area for the kids. I started to have concerns with the amount of liquid amber I was consuming and whether I would have enough for the first part of the trip. From a distance where Bert and I were camping there was a light shining down on a camp. We ventured over and heard angels sing....It was the Crebb travellers with a mobile bar. We had found heaven!!!           
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Re: The Trip Report !!! Finally Done...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
More

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »
Day 3

We headed off from Endeavour falls along battlecamp rd to the development rd before stopping at Musgrave for lunch. Bert and I were following Scott before we got to musgrave when we noticed he had a flat on the camper. On pulling over the rim was buckled as he hit a small washout that was deep. This was very dangerous as there was no indication as to how deep it was. Jk and I tried to put a marker there but it fell over. We noticed on the way back council had blocked that part of the road.From there we travelled to Coen and camped at Archer river that night. A big thanks to duggie for asking to use an area where we could all camp together.

Symon pulled into camp and we noticed his camper was just not right and that the bolt holding the springs had broken. This was the opportunity for the Maintenance gang to get their act into gear. After 8 beers deciding what was the best way to tackle the problem JK got the welder out and fixed the problem. The next day we noticed scotts triton was also looking unusual and noticed his chasis was bent. This could have occured when he hit the hole that buckled the tyre on the camper. It had buckled behind the airbags he had installed. Bert and I then hitched up the $52,000 camper he was towing for the trip to the next stop.

Bert and I had ideas of selling it along the way for a nice tidy profit but we could not find anyone who would pay us in enough beer. 

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
more

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
Day 4
Today we tackled the southern part of the otl. We stopped at Bramwell junction to top up on fuel and ice cream and noticed a number of cars heading up to Palm Creek and coming back. This had us concerned about the first crossing but we headed off. On reaching Palm Creek it was a challenge. There was a drop off from a rock into the creek and a very tough steep muddy climb out. Yogi and tim went first as they were not towing a camper and got through. They then set up the car ready to winch us up the slope. No one else could get up without being winched. I would guide each vehicle in and park them in the shallow creek waiting for their turn to be winched up. In the mean time other vehicles turned up and wanted to push in. Lucky dougie had his chainsaw just in case. Every one who had winches had them ready to give yogi's winch a rest. After 2 hours we got through. A fantatsic effort from everyone who helped. We then proceeded to Dulcy crossing that was deep in the middle but we all made it through. I had concerns about getting all the cars into Dulhunty but we found a great camp site that we all could get in and set up. After a hard day we all sat in the creek with beers and food and enjoyed the cool waters.     

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
Day 5
After Palm Creek we now had Gunshot to tackle. We headed towards bertie creek which was easy hugging the creek before crossing the rocky bottom. We continued on and arrived at Gunshot. Jk, Yogi and Symon went ahead and when we saw Jk stuck we knew we had problems. After winching him out we all sat there deciding which track to take.There was a steep drop off that some had confidence to tackle but others didn't. After working out a way we all got stuck into constructing a new track. Dougie coaxed a couple of tress down while others had shovels and picks cutting the track so that it was easy to drive. Dougie went first and got through as after you dropped into the mud it was a sharp right hand turn then a sharp left before climbing out of the creek. I tried next but got caught up on a stump and bent the stone guard on the camper. :'( After being winched out dougie went to work with the chain saw and by by stump. We all then made it through. Others tackled the steep drop off but the feeling of making our own track at Gunshot had us all pumped. Other travellers watched us and offered no help but waited to use the track.

We then headed towards cockatoo creek and onto Twin Falls knowing our chances were slim in getting a camp site. We ended up camping at the old linesmans hut on canal creek. There were alot campers this time so space was at a premium but we all set up there and prepared for a night of stories and drinking.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:37:09 AM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Day 6

Today was spent relaxing and exploring the falls Twin and Fruit bat. Yogi decided to cook some pizzas and wow can he cook on his weber. A great day was had soaking off the dust and doing some maitenance and comparing the scares our cars got.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
Day 8
Today we tackle the hardest tracks on the northern otl. We crossed Canal creek and took the challenging route. Yogi decided to try the mud bath but did not get very far so Jk had to winch him out. We then crossed Sams creek and onto Cannibal creek which had a sharp right hand turn before heading up the steep drive out. It was good to see Janelle getting excited taking photos that she fell back into the bush. Lagoon creek was next with a drop off heading in before a deep crossing. I had to stnad in the middle due to large rock and was contatntly wet due to the bow waves from the cars. The log bridge was next with a sharp right hand turn but was not a problem.

The major problem we anticipated was Nolans brook. It was deep in the middle with a sandy bottom. Yogi went first and got through easy. Geoff was the first with a camper and got stuck. Yogi snatched him out but water did bet into the car. Geoff was the next victim. He nearly made it but also got stuck. A quick snatch and he was out. Jk, symon and our japanese travellers all did the crossing by themselves. The decision was made to get Yogi to snatch the rest of the group  across. This was great to watch as Yogi would say ready on the radio and whoosh off they went stright into the water like submarines and across in no time. Bert was the last one and he shot off and sent a 30 ft bow wave ( well it looked that big) at me standing in the water. He could not see until he surfaced and was heading towards the bank on the other side. Everyone scattered until he could see at the last moment and turned away. We all had a beer after that. From here we headed towards the Jardine River to camp where people drive across. Some headed to Seisa.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:27:27 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
more
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:28:18 PM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »
more
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:39:14 AM by McGirr »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »
more

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Well after conquering the OTL we all headed to Seisa and our camp for the next 4 days.The first day was spent walking to the northern most part of Australia for the photo and then we all did our own thing.

It was a fantastic adventure and many, many thanks to the members who participated. Everyone enjoyed each others company and helped where they could when needed.

A special mention to following:

Martin: who in his pathfinder with road tyres never got a punture and always asked for advice.

Theo: who at one stage was not going to tackle Gunshot but in the end with no pressure from us did and conquered it.

Yogi, Tim. Jk and gang and Symon for your help and support in getting us all there in one piece.

Thank you all and I look forward to next years adventure.

Mark

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 12:37:29 PM »
Mark was it Logan or Nolan brook which gave you trouble? I thought Nolan Brook had the sandy bottom which normally catches everyone out.

Offline davidy61

• Tent User
  • Jayco Poptop
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Great trip and great trip report, would love to do it one day but not in our current 4WD and with our current camper.  Both would break or fall apart.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 with 2" lift and other goodies

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
Great report have been on this page for 30mins pressing refresh  ;D can’t wait till next years trip looking forward to it!!
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:58 PM »
Mark was it Logan or Nolan brook which gave you trouble? I thought Nolan Brook had the sandy bottom which normally catches everyone out.

Yes it was Nolans. I was trying to do the report while working.

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 01:24:46 PM »
Working  ??? , but it's Friday, ......................top job Mark   :cup: thanks for another great trip and for putting together another outstanding trip report.  :cheers:

Have you got a 4B yet ?
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
Hi,
  thanks for the trip report, I've been wanting to get up there. Only got to Laura in 1976 on a road bike, and the dirt started before Carbine, I think it was.
So lots of fun was had by all by the looks of things. Great pics too.
cheers

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »
Working  ??? , but it's Friday, ......................top job Mark   :cup: thanks for another great trip and for putting together another outstanding trip report.  :cheers:

Have you got a 4B yet ?

Still working on the 4B front but I have a camper!!!!  ;D

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
Great Report Mark :cup:. Good read. Great photographs :cup:. Love the one of Bert coming across Nolans ;D. Its gold. It was also great to catch up with you guys early in the trip, before we all went our own way. :cheers:

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline Finners

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Sampling perfect tracks - racetrack or 4WD!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »
Inspirational stuff Mark and the 2011 Cape York crew!  :cup:

And gr8 action pics. Thx for taking the time/effort to post. But moreover thanks for the years of organisational effort to make iconic trips like this accessible to us all. 'Clubs' like ours stay healthy and grow only when there's passionate members who keep contributing so selflessly.

I hope we'll join in next year or two.  :cheers:

- Finners
2012 Complete Campsite Fraser hard floor | 2012 Ford Ranger dual cab XLT 3.2 manual + too many mods - including nut behind wheel ;p

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
top report and pics  :cheers:

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
Great trip report, looked like a lot of fun.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »
What brand is the camper. Post a couple of pics of it. You don't need a 4by I'll tow it for you next year if you are game.

ha ha

Bert

Offline Hews

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
Great trip report and photos - looks like you guys n girls had a ball. Love the shot of submarine Bert!