Author Topic: Max Trax at the cape  (Read 13882 times)

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
Re: Max Trax at the cape
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »
I used mine up at Vrilya Point after turning around I got bogged. A quick additional air down and one Max under each rear wheel and that;s all that's needed to get you going again. We did try using ours during our Wenlock recovery. They weren't so good in mud but then again the mud was DEEP.... ;D

Steve
Do you think rolling back in your grooves, moving the mound and letting your tyres down would give the same result?
Living the Dream.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
Did all that mate. We were at 20 psi up to the point, this was a soft spot. As you know I am up the beach a lot in Broom and Leveque so I think of my self as quite experienced in sand. With the Camper on I just couldn't get the roll going as you suggested so it was down to 15 and it took 2 mins to get the trax under the rear. Low 2nd and out - easy
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »
No worries mate.
Thanks for that
Living the Dream.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
Re: Re: Max Trax at the cape
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:39 AM »
They're definitely not a gimmick, they have their moment, just like a winch.  Biggest problem is misuse, just like a winch.  Not cheap, just like a winch... etc, etc.

Used correctly, and they can have you up and going very quickly, and on the beach on your own with no winch points, this can mean the difference between Continuing your journey or a very expensive recovery - or worse!

There's been plenty of times I've chosen a snatch or winch over the Maxtrax, but often they are a godsend.  Just another quiver in the bow for me.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

OK, gimmick may be poor choice of word but they are not a new concept by anymeans. Sand ladders and the like have been around for decades and yes, are used to great effect but these, again IMO have just been marketed better etc. Doesn't mean they are bad or anything the like but there are many similarish units out there for far less cost........This takes nothing away from those who have them and love them. I have seen them in action and work but have also seen cheaper sand ladders by Bushranger do the same thing.......They do look pretty though.... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:54:24 AM by Teabag »
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
I'm with Steve here, we only used the max trax when we got stuck on the climb out of the Wenlock. Both Steve's set and my set were used, with little to no assistance given, because the mud was so deep and thick. Both sets had a few nipple rubbed off, due to little traction on them.  I believe they work great on sand and it sounds they work ok in mud, if it is not deep and thick.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments,

I've travelled the beaches for 20 years without any problems, however now that I tow a 1300Kg Camper Trailer maybe I need something like the Max Trax or the Sand ladder.

I'm always careful how and where I drive with the trailer on, but there will be a time when I have to turn where I don't really want to and with open diffs I could soon be in the doo doo.  

Regards Geoff
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
I was thinking of Maxtrax as well since I do a lot of sand driving, but to be honest whenever I get into trouble I've always been able to get out by simply dropping pressures.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »
I was thinking of Maxtrax as well since I do a lot of sand driving, but to be honest whenever I get into trouble I've always been able to get out by simply dropping pressures.

It's amazing what letting your pressures down to 10 PSI will allow you to drive on.  Even the very softest of sand.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
It's amazing what letting your pressures down to 10 PSI will allow you to drive on.  Even the very softest of sand.

Totally agree, I got into a bit of trouble at Inskip point once where the truck was down to the axles with camper in tow.  5 min worth of clearing out sand in front of the tyres and dropping them down to 8 PSI I just drove straight out.  Drove about 50m clear of the soft stuff then pumped them back up to 16 PSI, no problem.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »
I used my bro in laws max trax when we where last at exmouth. I turned around at the beach and the camper got hung up on a rock (so to speak) the cruiser just couldnt get enough speed or traction to pull the camper over it. Aired down to 20psi as well (should have tried lower), so we thought we'd get the max trax a go. Straight over the rock first go :laugh: Although we had to use the trax all the way off the beach so it certainly isnt the easiest job to move 1 1/2 meters and reset the trax 10 times. I tried to be as gently of them as i could since they werent mine and they where brand new, but we still managed to damage a couple of the traction lugs - they need to be a bit tougher if you ask me. Perhaps they should look at moulding some steel or ali tips into them?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »
I have used these before, they worked well in filling in ruts

http://lifttrax.com/

GG

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »
Hi Max Trax are great I have even used them to recover a tow truck stuck in the mud.
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 06:44:38 AM »
I borrowed a set, and once I used them went and bought myself a set- saved me on the beach at Fraser
there are a couple of provisos that I have noticed with using these things.

MT tyres work best- some think on sand HT tyres work- so you get bogged in the sand with HT tyres there is NO tread grip in the tyres to use the maxtrax effectivly= waste of money
At are only a little bit better.

Also used at coffs in some deep ruts where the diff was stopping progress

just my thoughts- used correctly they work well

I would say without a doubt the less tread on a tyre the better they work on sand.

Unless you have masive amounts of power and rmp then paddles would  be nice..
Living the Dream.

Offline Markss

• Swag User
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
I have used these before, they worked well in filling in ruts

http://lifttrax.com/

GG

Hmm they look pretty good actually, and I personally (which means I am allowed to be wrong) think they would work better than Max Trax.  The price aint too bad either!
short video (no sound needed) here: http://lifttrax.com/multimedia/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:38:40 AM by Markss »

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »

I do as well and have up at Cape Leveque one night. The thing was it took me 1.5 hours of digging at 5 psi when I think if I had of had some thing like the Trax it may have been a shorter recovery. That is really my point, they can save time IMO.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/