Author Topic: Close Call on the Way Home  (Read 4291 times)

Offline barraboy

• Tent User
Close Call on the Way Home
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
Just thought I would mention an incident on the way home. We had 4 left in the convoy heading south along the Development Road. Between Archer River Roadhouse and Coen there are numerous dips which are sign posted and some are washed out with large holes. You would normally slow to walking pace to cross and many held water. At one of these an approaching Toyota Hilux towing a 4m Tinny was going way too fast and hit a big hole. The boat went airborne and landed with a big bounce that resulted in it flipping over. You could say the off road hitch worked. The boat contents went everywhere with 2 spare tyres and rims heading our way as we approached from the opposite end. These and the boat travelling sideways down the road in our direction. We avoided the collision but thank our lucky stars that we were not a further 50 metres south as a head on with a boat would have eventuated.. I would certainly be giving way to all to all approaching traffic at the Dips. To finish off several of us helped to lift the boat upright and we carried on the jouney home.

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
Re: Close Call on the Way Home
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »
 :o

Glad you blokes were ok!

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
Im am not surprised. The road is in that great a condition that people can travel as fast as they like and do it easily. Pity they dont think about others on the road.
We leave Punsand Bay tomorrow heading south on the development road down as far as Musgrave and im dreading it.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:15 PM »
Too many idiots don't drive to conditions - Yogi and I found many fine examples of this on the way to and from Byfield.

Glad to hear you guys were OK, I hope you gave the guy an earful as you were helping him to right the trailer.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
 :worthles:

Glad you're OK. hope the boat owners were grateful for your assistance.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
G'day barraboy,
It would have been a real pity if you had been cleaned up coming home after the little nissan had done a great job keep up along the trail and roads with out damage.
cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
Im am not surprised. The road is in that great a condition that people can travel as fast as they like and do it easily. Pity they dont think about others on the road.
We leave Punsand Bay tomorrow heading south on the development road down as far as Musgrave and im dreading it.

I have often wondered this and am thinking of going up and back on the OTL to avoid some of the bypass road. Does anyone think this is a silly idea. Will have serveral cars some with trailers on. i realise it might be a bit more difficult going sth but have a winch and will take our time.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
That's what we did last year towing the camper.  We tried to stay off the Development Road as much as possible.  Hardest crossing heading south was Palm Creek, which need a little bit of winching, but not much, almost made it.

Not a silly idea at all.

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
Driving  these roads for a number of years you have to be very wary of how the road can change in a week. It boils down to driver confidence and a speed you feel comfortable. The problem is people rush and don't drive to conditions. You can be the best driver but it's the other idiot that can cause the accident.  The by pass roads are excellent this year but always keep the speed at a level so that if you need to stop quickly you can safely.

Doing the otl from the north to south is a little harder but if you have the time why not. Be aware you will have more traffic coming up the otl.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »
I have often wondered this and am thinking of going up and back on the OTL to avoid some of the bypass road. Does anyone think this is a silly idea. Will have serveral cars some with trailers on. i realise it might be a bit more difficult going sth but have a winch and will take our time.

The worst thing is the corrugations, you pass big dual axle caravans, cars and trucks.... The OTL is just as easy going south as north. That's what we did. If you include the Lillyfield track and the old coen track you can miss a heap more of the development rd. Later in the season it only took us a couple of hours from Elliot to be set up at Dalhunty and that included winching up gunshot. We were on our own though which is a lot quicker.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:22:34 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:21 AM »
Good to hear that you are ok.

Bert

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
If you are considering traveling the development road north , these causeways are better approaching from the right side of the road. Very few of them were badly damaged on the off side. I did mention this to some of the members we were traveling with and they found this was better.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "