Author Topic: REPORT LITTERING & ILLEGAL DUMPING  (Read 7062 times)

Offline Renfrew

• Learning the Ropes
REPORT LITTERING & ILLEGAL DUMPING
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »
Morning All,

This Qld. Government Policy provides a simple & very effective procedure to report, investigate & fine those culprits.

http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/waste/illegal_dumping_litter.html 

Keep this URL in your "favourites" , send to your members, families, friends & fellow travellers.

Thank you.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: REPORT LITTERING & ILLEGAL DUMPING
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »
FWIW,
Councils dont help themselves.. its $120 for box trailer now at the tip or $1000 for an 8cube skip bin round here..

no wonder dumping is going off the scale.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
Yeah it's a big problem in Newcastle NSW, too.
Whatever happened to each household being allowed to dump XXX per month for free on presentation of a rates notice?

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
Or you go out to the local tip and find it has closed for the day, and it is only midday. ???

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
Quote from: GeeTee
Whatever happened to each household being allowed to dump XXX per month for free on presentation of a rates notice?

They closed our local tip to put in a freeway, then thought OH Shit, THERES NO TIP...
So they told us to use the next one - a private one that the fees were almost ransom... So for some reason in their wizdom the council revoked their permit to have a tip.. so told us to use the one in the next shire...

They couldn't handle the load so changed to greenwaste only.... then it closed

All this was within 12months...

Now we have nothing in our area at all but tons of Shit dumped everywhere.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
Hi,

Its a lot better here in Moreton Bay Regional Council on the northern edge of Brisbane. Show your drivers licence with a MBRC address and it is free to dump (commercial stuff excepted).

Maybe thats why southerners keep moving north.

Ray

Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »
It's a bloody rippoff here, Had to dump some mattresses recently the cost was $25, per mattress
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
It is becoming more common in the State Forests in Victoria as well, unfortunately it the locals who
appear responsible, as tip fees have been introduced across the board.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
It is becoming more common in the State Forests in Victoria as well, unfortunately it the locals who
I saw pics like that all over Western Sydney when I was living there a few years ago.  Prices to dump up here in Cairns are very cheap compared to down there but you still find mongrels who dump illegally.

Offline nick_4x4

• Tent User
    • Xiam Design and Hosting
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »

Seeing the same up here, had to go report some dumping when we last went out camping, rubbish was scattered all over the tracks, there was even a fridge double door type looked almost new just dumped.

Its a shame really, wish i caught the buggers dumping but most of the dumping takes place when its dark, harder to see them then.
2004 GU Patrol 3.0TD - 2010 Ezytrail

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
We pay nothing to dump anything you want.

We also have next to no litter left around the area either..... go figure.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers
We pay nothing to dump anything you want.

We also have next to no litter left around the area either..... go figure.
Its a simple logic lost to so many bureaucrats where any excuse to make a $$...
Most of the tip rats were people on community service too... so wages were $**** all inc gst.

Rubbish dumping started happening around the shire decades ago when they started charging and also only having the tip open a few hours a week... It had the council scratching its head....
Many times you'd see a bloke turning up at 2pm as your on your wayout, but shes closed mate...  but he aint taking the loaded trailer home!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
Yeah it's a big problem in Newcastle NSW, too.
Mattresses seem to be a major problem,everywhere i go i see them dumped :(

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »

Might be the local knockshop getting rid of the old ones.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 07:07:40 PM »
Upgrade time at the local happy endings parlour?
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
Everytime I went ot the local tip in Seven Hills the prices had gone up, matresses were $50 from memory, an ensemble was counted as 2.

One of the reasons the prices have gone up in metro places is they are no longer tips but Waste Management Centres, i.e. they package up the rubbish and get charged to dump it somewhere else. When we were moving I had a heap of paint, not only do they charge you for the weight of the paint but an additional dollar figure per litre ontop. I dumped a fair bit not realising this until the guy came and approached me about it asking if I was going to pay for all that. I said I was not aware and he told me if I left what reamined in my trailer he would let it slide.

The tip face in Orange is about to close as it is full and it will turn into a management facility as well, expect the prices to skyrocket at the same time.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »
Try running a business that has a lot of waste, and then your clients think you will just take it away for for free.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »
Our local tip is run by Nazis. Jeez, they are the most miserable blokes ever.
They interogate you on the way in and out.

It cant be the most challenging of positions, but damn, being a bit polite back when the 'customer' is very polite on way in and I'm sure you'll have a better day.

Oh, yeah, we should be grateful that not only our rates have an extra $50 charge added, but we are lucky enough to get one free tip pass upon payment of the ever increasing rates.
They're so good to us down here,.....

Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Compass

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 12:59:09 AM »
I can't say that I always have a good word for councils but here on the Gold Coast they seem to have their act together.  Scattered throughout the area are refuse collection centres for household rubbish.  Bins are provided for recyclables such as glass, paper.  People are expected to "sort" their rubbish - place old car batteries in one place, metal items (white goods, old prams etc) in a separate skip, old tv's etc in another spot, clothing in another.  There are a few things they can't take - mostly motor spirits, flammable paints and the like. All is taken elsewhere in large skips. No fee apart from our usual council rates and no rubbish around the streets. 

Seems the councils who charge huge fees are really creating a problem.

Eric
2015 Toyota Prado
2012 Kimberley Kamper Platinum

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 06:50:52 AM »
I can't say that I always have a good word for councils but here on the Gold Coast they seem to have their act together.  Scattered throughout the area are refuse collection centres for household rubbish.  Bins are provided for recyclables such as glass, paper.  People are expected to "sort" their rubbish - place old car batteries in one place, metal items (white goods, old prams etc) in a separate skip, old tv's etc in another spot, clothing in another.  There are a few things they can't take - mostly motor spirits, flammable paints and the like. All is taken elsewhere in large skips. No fee apart from our usual council rates and no rubbish around the streets. 

Seems the councils who charge huge fees are really creating a problem.

Eric

Yeah mate I do agree with you, for household rubbish. But for me being in business (carpenter) that does small jobs, I can't use the transfer stations. For me I have to pay, and it is either reedy creek or Stapleton, or one of the private places.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »
I was going to suggest that perhaps some people should collectively dump their rubbish on their council chambers doorssteps, but having read through this thread, it would appear that some councils may well never leave, they could well feel right at home.
Tjupurula

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Our tip allows what you would (suppose to) put in your wheelie bin   ::)  and they call themselves a "waste transfer station"
We do get to dump vegetation for a ridiculous fee, then they decided they could mulch it and sell it back - at a ridiculous fee! They ended up with a mountain of mulch that was forever combusting, causing much wastage in $$$ and time, because they'd needed to have a couple of katos on site when it caught fire, and the bushie's near by, hosing it all down as it was pulled apart!
We can also dump metal there for free

If your tip allows free metal dumping...with mattresses, strip them down, dump the inards, then put the material and foam into the wheelie, or the council rubish bins through the town  ;)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
Our local "Transfer Station" (Brisbane City Council) is open 12 hours a day, seven days a week, and we get vouchers with our rates notice every year for total dumping of up to 500kg of general waste and 500kg of green waste - anything over that we pay for.  They also have a kerbside hard waste collection once a year.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
Although they encourage you to report offences, it would be good if anything came of it.

In the dead of night 6 or so months ago whilst travelling along a back road in the outer suburbs I noticed a car with a trailer attached off to the side of the road, and parked behind a group of bushes.  The trailer had some fridges and other white goods in it and it appeared that some of the rubbish had already been inloaded.  I could see two blokes crouching down behind the bushes and in the grass.  It was clear they were dumping their rubbish.

I drove up further and around the bend out of their sight, switched the lights off and did a u-turn, waited a couple of minutes, then switched the lights and also spotties on and drove past them again, this time going a little slower with pen a paper in hand.

They were very efficient because within two minutes they had almost emptied the trailer of rubbish, but I managed to get a good look at the two blokes, a clear ID of the type of car and trailer, the car rego and trailer rego.  Clearly by driving past them much slower a second time they realised they were busted, so they jumped in their car, took off wheels spinning, tail gate of the trailer still down and roared up the roared spewing the remaining contents of the trailer all over the road.

Next day I called the council, told them the same story, all the details of these scumbags including the exact location of where the rubbish was dumped. They thanked me and asked whether I would testify what I saw, if they eventually tried to prosecute these guys.  "Sure would" was my answer, so I gave the lady all my details and she gave me a tracking number of my complaint.

A couple of months passed and I hadn't heard anything, so I called the council back.  They confirmed that they had found a pile of rubbish where I had said, they had spoken to a guy that matched the description given, and he just happened to be the owner of the trailer and car I had described.  But funny enough he denied any knowledge of dumping rubbish on the road side as accused, and when the council checked the rubbish out they said there was nothing that could clearly identify the owner or the person who dumped it - so there was nothing more than could do than warn the guy.

I'm not critical of the council as they took the issue seriously and obviously investigated it, but it would seem for these types to get away with doing this they simply have to deny it was them.  The outcome was very dissapointing   >:(         
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:20:23 PM by rotare »

Offline rotor138

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »
My other half used to work in compliance for a local council, they had a guy who demolished his house and then over two weeks dumped the entire house remains around the council site. They did everything to catch him even did stake out on his property. He claimed that he hired someone from the local paper to do the demolition and all he got was a receipt from the guy with no business details just a signature from P. Nut. My other half was so angry about this whole issue.

Unfortunately unless councils catch someone in the act their hands are tied as it wont get through court.