Author Topic: Concrete dust  (Read 2552 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Concrete dust
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »
Hi Swaggers the garage is full of concrete sust in the new shack i can literally see it being generated when i turn the car wheels in the Garage

The concrete has been finshed with a rough surface.

I am aware that there are certain epoxies you can paint on and wanted to consult with the brains trust to see if one was better than another any other prep work to be done, or is there a certain point where it wont work and the slab needs to be ground down or some such
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Concrete dust
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
Hi Swaggers the garage is full of concrete sust in the new shack i can literally see it being generated when i turn the car wheels in the Garage

The concrete has been finshed with a rough surface.

I am aware that there are certain epoxies you can paint on and wanted to consult with the brains trust to see if one was better than another any other prep work to be done, or is there a certain point where it wont work and the slab needs to be ground down or some such

I had friends with a similar issue in their new house a few years ago, it turned out it was an issue with the cement when they layed it. The builder ended up paying for the garage to be tiled to rectify it. If it's a new build it might pay to ask the builder why your slab is turning to dust.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:46 AM »
Is it a new slab? You really need someone (concrete company tech) to take a look because there are a number of reasons that this will happen. If they have wet up the mix too much it is pointless covering it until you bind it or top it. Grinding won't achieve anything either if the brew was wrong. Hopefully it is just a recent slab and the top of the broom finish is getting knocked down, In that case you can simply mix up some bondcrete with water and splash it around until it settles.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »
Happened to us when we renovated and the dust probably lasted 12 months, but luckily it settled after that.

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
I had the garage floor epoxy coated when we finished building the house last year. I did it more for aesthetic reasons rather than anything else but I was amazed how at much dust this prevented. This is the 4th house we've had since moving to Aus and all previous garage floors have just been standard concrete. They've always been really dusty but I just assumed it was dust blowing in when the door was open, or past the doors as the doors aren't sealed around the sides. Clearly I was wrong and most if it must have been coming off the concrete floor as the amount of dust we now get is minimal.

Other positives are that it looks great, is much more hard wearing than the concrete, and easier to clean. No marks, dings and dents when you drop things. No stains.   

About the only down side (other than having to pay for it) is that it can be a little slippery when wet, and water can not soak into it. This means that in the winter when the temps are low and water doesn't evaporate too quickly, it can stay wet for a few days after a wet car has dripped on it. Not an issue in the summer as it evaporates off really quickly.

I used a company called E-Coat who are based up the central coast if memory serves. No affiliation, but they did a great job.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
I had my back verandah epoxy coated some years back.  Most dangerous bloody thing ever!  If you walk on it when it got wet you can guarantee to go arse up.  Certain types of rubber/plastic thongs were also dangerous..  As its only a garage floor why not use concrete paint, do it yourself and save heaps...easy to do also.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
If you just get the basic epoxy it is lethal when wet. I had the coloured flecks added to it which helps a lot, and had what amounted to some sand (it wasn't sand but gives you the idea) thrown over the top coat as it dried to increase the grip when wet. With these added you can still slip if you're not careful, but overall the grip is OK.

Painting would have been far cheaper but I also thought that it might be slippery when wet. It would also need re-applying periodically and wouldn't have the added strength benefits preventing the floor getting chipped and damaged.   

Would I get the epoxy again? If I knew my floor was going to be wet all the time I'd probably not get the epoxy, but for the number of times it gets wet here then it's not really an issue so I'd probably get it again.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
I've not long painted my garage wiyh an epoxy product. It was an industrial/marine product. The beauty of it was I could put 2 coats on instead of the one coat systems that Bunnings and the like sell. Those single coat systems are not as tuff and hard wearing as they have you believe.  The one I used was exxy but because of the size of the garage I would have been purchasing multiple kits of the cheapy ones anyway.  I'll get a pic of the product if you want.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
A simple concrete sealer will also help, cheaper and easy to DIY

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-4l-gloss-diamondcoat-paving-and-concrete-sealer_p1560262

GG

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
A simple concrete sealer will also help, cheaper and easy to DIY

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-4l-gloss-diamondcoat-paving-and-concrete-sealer_p1560262

GG

I had one put on by a concreter.  He warned me that they dont last long in traffic areas such as a back patio.  Sure enough 2 years later it needs another coat.  I had a colour mixed into my concrete at the batching plant.  Thought the hard wearing sealer would really seal...nope...wrong.  Sorry I got the Shit now.  Yes even concrete paint once wet is as slippery as a politician at election time. 
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
Here are a few ideas from another forum I belong to. Thought it might help.

https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/general-discussion-18/painting-your-shed-floor-285865/

Offline dooguss

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado Power
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »
Whatever you do don’t paint it with Shit concrete paint. No matter how well your prep work is it will just peel off over time.
It’s one of 2 things,- A the builders concrete couldn’t be bothered to finish the slab properly on the day of pouring, meaning they just didn’t machine it long enough as the concrete was drying and did a quick hit with the machine, stick it out and she”ll be right it’s not my garage.
Or B,- most builders use a mix of 20/20/80 its the cheapest going, then when it gets to site old concreter or  pumpie mate says piss it up it’s to dry so straight away there goes your strength.

If it was my place I’d get the builder back to fix it if new, or you can buy a product called concrete surface hardner and roll that on only issue is if your concrete looks like Shit now that’s how it will stay looking. Epoxy will fix it but get someone who knows what there doing because the prep work is vital.
Good luck.
2006 Toyota Prado
2014 Stoney creek rear fold.