Author Topic: Mazda 3 cabin noise  (Read 2455 times)

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
Mazda 3 cabin noise
« on: August 02, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
Hi All

I am looking into getting a mazda 3 hatch around the 2010 to 2012 mark  as a second car for our learner come P plate drivers to use, but i am seeing  a lot of comments regarding the cabin / road noise in them, for those that have had or still have one is the noise off concern or are the reviews making something big out of something that's of little concern?

Also

Are there any other issues that i should be looking at before purchase?

Overall are you happy with the one you have?

Thanks, Trevor
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Mazda 3 cabin noise
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
My daughter had a 2009 model and I don't think it's just a Mazda issue. Most smallish 4 cyl  cars have the same problem.....hot mix roads are good, but the "rough" gravel mix tar roads are noisy. Even some expensive european cars suffer from it.

The Mazda is a good solid car, so unless someone comes up with a better solution, you can't go too wrong.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:45:59 AM »
We have a current model SP25 as a runaround for Wifey. Bloody great car. But a stated it does get a bit loud on the coarse bitumen. Pretty much every small car we've had or driven is the same. In saying that we've taken it on a couple of 500k round trips on the highway (central Queensland goat track that we get to call highways) and it wasn't to the point where I thought it was annoying.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Rip it up

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »
I have a 2014 sp25 astina and if the reviewers can only fault the road noise as it’s only flaw they have run out of things to whinge about.

Fantastic cars. I think tyre choice has a lot to do with it as well. The standard tyres were known to be noisey. And I replaced with a Bridgestone potenza RE003 which are worse again. But grip like a gecko.

The noise is nothing like a set muddies on a 4wd. Just a small harmonic with the windows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:42:17 AM »
And sometimes you are better off sticking to the original tyres, even if you think they are noisy. The manufacturer usually goes to a bit of trouble finding the quietest tyres for the same reason you want to change them........but finding a better tyre may be a waste of time......for noise anyway !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »
Big difference beween the older models and the current re road noise.  Big.   Our Mazda 3 is a 2009 model and has been a brilliant car. Have driven our sons new Mazda 3 and it is so quite.  But the noise is not a big issue. I don't think you can go wrong. We did replace the stupid spare with a real one!  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »
My first car I owned was a Daewoo Lanos and it was similar. Not great sound insulation I guess? My solution was to turn the radio up! that said, being able to hear EVERYTHING came in handy when it did the rear wheel bearing... That noise was... very obvious. LOL.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 07:49:39 AM »

Noise is common to most vehicles on coarse roads.  Most P platers are too busy listening to loud music or talking on their mobiles to even notice the road noise!   Of course you could always buy some insulation and put under the carpets.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:58:16 AM by Bigfish »
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »
Quote from: krisandkev
But the noise is not a big issue.
We have a 3 as well, bout a 2010 model (somewhere round there) and I've never noticed the noise at all

We did replace the stupid spare with a real one!  Kevin
Interesting article in the Drive section of the paper where a bloke with a Mercedes with run flats, got a flat in the bush somewhere, and had to buy 2 new matching tyres..
He went home bought a full size spare - told his insurance co about it, they cancelled his policy as it then didnt meet some standard.. dunno how true it is but got the article here.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
We have a 2006 (SP23) and a 2014 (base). Both did long distances and noise was never an issue.
We still have them both and as a run about they cannot be beaten I think. Cheap to maintain, fuel efficient, comfortable, etc...
2002 Landcruiser GXV

3rd time lucky

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
We have a SP25 2009 sedan. No wind noise until we fitted roof bars to carry kayaks etc.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
My wife has a 2014 Mazda 3 and I have never really noticed the road noise. The only big problem she had was the dash became deformed in the heat (when living in Townsville) but was replaced under warranty.
And a bit of road noise can help mask any other squeaks or rattles so isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I find I get used to road noise (much like white noise) far quicker than squeaks and rattles.

Offline 6knights

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »
Thanks for all the replies , it was just the sort of help l was looking for.

Trrevor
2006 100 series towing a 2012 modcon HFA  🙂

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 06:46:01 PM »
If you find it too loud, for a few hundred $$ you can buy sheets of self adhesive sound proofing and apply it to the wheel arches for an added level of sound proofing. Spray on body deadener inside the doors will help too.