Author Topic: Camper mattress  (Read 2212 times)

Offline robbo12

• Learning the Ropes
Camper mattress
« on: July 29, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »
I have an old Outback camper and it's time to replace the mattress, I've been looking on ebay, it seems all the foam mattresses are call mattress toppers  at 8cm thick. All quite confusing.
Does or has anybody replaced their mattress ,if so what did you go with? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Camper mattress
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
I just got some foam cut to size and had the local trimmer make a cover for it.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.
The following users thanked this post: robbo12

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
We had the you beaut Kimberly inner sprung mattress (when we had the Kimberly), and ended up with one of those egg shell toppers on top of it.

Personally now we will be going for a basic foam mattress and putting an egg shell topper on it, we do it with all the mattresses in the house as well.

The difficult bit for me is a lot of these mattresses seem comfortable when you are testing them out, but unless you can test it for several nights full sleep it really isn't useful.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Bookleaf

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 01:09:20 PM »
Do not know where you live, but there are a number of mattress makers that make mattresses to measure, both in height, size and materials, especially for caravans and camping trailers.
Do a search on here for mattress and you will find the details.

We did this some years ago and got a specially thin innerspring mattress from a Melbourne manufacture (we live in Adelaide).  Picked it up the next time we visited faimly over that way.  They took the old foam one off us and passed on to the Salvos.

We rely love the mattress.  Was the best move to get it.
Isuzu MUX, LS-M, Cameron Canvas Camper

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
We got an innerspring double mattress from jayco, they were the cheapest and had them in stock.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »
Do not know where you live, but there are a number of mattress makers that make mattresses to measure, both in height, size and materials, especially for caravans and camping trailers.
Do a search on here for mattress and you will find the details.

We did this some years ago and got a specially thin innerspring mattress from a Melbourne manufacture (we live in Adelaide).  Picked it up the next time we visited faimly over that way.  They took the old foam one off us and passed on to the Salvos.

We rely love the mattress.  Was the best move to get it.

We had one made by Makin Matresses which was cost efficient.
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:25:24 PM »
Have a search of the forum, theres numerous threads on them, and where to get them custom made.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline robbo12

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Thank you all for your input, I've bought a double 10cm memory foam mattress.  It should do the job I hope.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
Mate if it doesn't work out we went down the path of a blow-up mattress. We were constantly having issues with the foam etc along with the height of other mattresses. Tried the blow ups as a last resort as I had it in my head what they used to be like and was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable they are these days.
The trick we found was to put a decent blanket down over the mattress prior to a sheet (fitted or otherwise) as if not you will find that they (you) get a bit cold.

Offline hefty_merv

• Sleeping Bag User
    • hefty-merv.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
I didn't get one from here, and with word from Bunyip maybe won't ever with the eggshell foam idea. Thanks...

I got this from Made To Measure Mattresses (early this year).

Thank you for your email enquiry regarding our camper trailer mattresses. The following is a description of the mattresses;

Premium: This is our lowest profile mattress. It has a Bonnell spring system with edge supports all round. The mattress also has working air vents to facilitate good air flow, therefore cutting out the moisture problem you have with foam mattresses. There are three heights available, being 130mm/150mm which are both single-sided, for people with headroom issues, or double sided at 190mm if height is not a problem. A 3-year Guarantee is given.

Deluxe: This mattress has all of the above qualities, but is firmer in density. It is made in a damask Beige quilted fabric and is available in the same height differences as the above Premium mattress. A 3-year Guarantee is also given for this mattress.

Superior: This is a plusher mattress with the same spring unit, air vents and edge supports as above. The Superior mattress has a better quality foam and deeper comfort layer. The height would be 180mm single sided or 220mm double sided. This mattress comes in a cream damask fabric. This mattress has a 5 year Guarantee.

Most camper trailers customers buy the 150mm height, single sided, as they cannot fit the height of the double-sided mattress into their camper trailer. The feel and support are not compromised in the lower profile model.

Single sided means you will not be able to turn the mattress over (one side useable only).

The price for a standard Queen Size (2030mm x 1520mm) mattress would be $540.00 for the Premium or Deluxe and $650.00 for the Superior.

The price for a standard King Size (2030mm x 1830mm) mattress would be $690.00 for the Premium or Deluxe and $790.00 for the Superior.

Please note, the above prices are for standard sizes. Should the size vary out from a standard size, the price will also alter.

The mattresses take 2 weeks to manufacture and we contact you when finished so you know when to be available for pick up or delivery. We would require a 50% deposit which can be paid via direct deposit or credit card which we can get over the phone.

I hope this helps you with your enquiry and look forward to hearing from you.

Have a lovely day.

Hope that helps.
Merv
BrisVagas

My Trailer Build