Author Topic: Advice on removing tent section from the trailer for zip repairs  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Hi All,

I need to have a couple of zips replaced on our soft floor camper, but I believe I need to remove the tent section from the trailer?

I just had a quick look and the tent section it's attached by sail track on all 4 sides, so I presume I need to remove the rivets keeping the sail track in place on 2 sides, then I should be able to pull the tent section off? 

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Advice on removing tent section from the trailer for zip repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
I had the flyscreen on one door replaced without removing tent..
maybe speak to repair joint first.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline hefty_merv

• Sleeping Bag User
    • hefty-merv.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
If you're in Brisbane there is a guy in Slacks Creek that does "on trailer" camping trailer repairs. Take the whole thing in and he will tell you what needs to be done. I haven't been there yet, however, have spoken to him as I have a door and window on mine that needs mending.

I don't have the details handy, however sure Google will know them.

Merv
BrisVagas

My Trailer Build

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »
If you're in Brisbane there is a guy in Slacks Creek that does "on trailer" camping trailer repairs. Take the whole thing in and he will tell you what needs to be done. I haven't been there yet, however, have spoken to him as I have a door and window on mine that needs mending.

I don't have the details handy, however sure Google will know them.
do you have his company name?.....just had our screen door zipper bugger up on our recent trip away, need to get it fixed pretty soon. Managed to fix the main door zipper myself a while back, reckon I made the screen door zipper worse trying to fix it though :-[
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
Hi gents I used this bloke, Darren at DJY upholstery 108 West Coominya 0438255194, He was half the price of anyone else I was quoted on redoing my pop up van with new vinyl, but he was slow, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »
Hey Rummy,
Stop in and have a chat with Warren at OSKI Canvas
Up towards the top end of Moss st
Google will give their street number
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »
Yesterday I did a bit of a ring around and explained the problem with the zip and was told by 4 companies I need to take the tent section off and bring it to them for repair.
Rang the 5th company at Redcliffe and she asked what exactly is wrong with the zip and if the existing teeth are okay.
Advised all the teeth are ok, but the slider isn’t pushing the teeth together. She advised if that’s the only problem then no need to take the tent off the trailer and to bring the trailer to them and they can just replace the slide and should only cost around $80-$100.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 09:37:58 AM »
Yesterday I did a bit of a ring around and explained the problem with the zip and was told by 4 companies I need to take the tent section off and bring it to them for repair.
Rang the 5th company at Redcliffe and she asked what exactly is wrong with the zip and if the existing teeth are okay.
Advised all the teeth are ok, but the slider isn’t pushing the teeth together. She advised if that’s the only problem then no need to take the tent off the trailer and to bring the trailer to them and they can just replace the slide and should only cost around $80-$100.
That would be a win if thats the only issue  :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
pretty much what has happened to mine, doesn’t zip the last few hundred mm up, but teeth appear fine. Same thing happened to another zipper, YouTube showed how to squeeze it closed a touch to fix the problem and it worked a treat on that zipper, don’t think I did this second one the same though as I had no Internet as I tried fixing this one.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
Hey Rummy,
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
saw that name last night as I googled for someone :cheers:

Offline hefty_merv

• Sleeping Bag User
    • hefty-merv.com
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
do you have his company name?.....just had our screen door zipper bugger up on our recent trip away, need to get it fixed pretty soon. Managed to fix the main door zipper myself a while back, reckon I made the screen door zipper worse trying to fix it though :-[

Found the emails

Dal's Canvas
Unit 2-12 Monte Street
Slacks Creek
QLD,4127
Mob:0439804780
Tel:07 32081101
Merv
BrisVagas

My Trailer Build

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:49:05 PM »
Found the emails

Dal's Canvas
Unit 2-12 Monte Street
Slacks Creek
QLD,4127
cheers...heading down to Slacks Creek on Saturday morning to get some stuff fitted to my Cruiser, so will see if he's open then also.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

I had that issue on our door, 5 secs with some pliers and its been fine since. You just need the close the slider up a bit as they stretch and thats why they dont close properly.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 06:13:09 PM »
I had that issue on our door, 5 secs with some pliers and its been fine since. You just need the close the slider up a bit as they stretch and thats why they dont close properly.
that worked fine on one of my zippers, didn't work on the second one I tried doing it to.

Hey Rummy,
Cheers
rang them today....they reckon the tent needs to come off the trailer, couldn't give me a rough price without seeing the trailer as they are all different in how they are fitted to each make (which is fair enough).

Found the emails

Dal's Canvas
Unit 2-12 Monte Street
Slacks Creek
QLD,4127
rang them today also....might be able to do it on trailer, but want to see it first to give a definitive answer on what actually needs doing (which is also fair enough I reckon). These guys are currently about a 4 week wait to get work done they mentioned.

Both places I rang today aren't open Saturdays in general, but can be there by appointment only.

Offline hefty_merv

• Sleeping Bag User
    • hefty-merv.com
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
4 week wait!!! Going to have to get mine in pretty quick then to make September camping.

Trailer cover goes in next week to get the zipper replaced as it doesn't zip up correctly, was like that when I picked it up. Why it was sort of cheap.
Merv
BrisVagas

My Trailer Build

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 03:07:16 PM »
Found the emails

Dal's Canvas
Unit 2-12 Monte Street
Slacks Creek
QLD,4127
took the camper down to see them today....a really nice guy and would happily recommend him.
I only expected him to have a quick look at it and tell me what needed doing and when to bring it back.....instead he unscrewed part of the tent section apart, unpicked the stitching at the bottom of the zipper and managed to get the slider to zip up all the way to the end to then remove the slider. He has fitted a new slider to the zip and the zipper works fine now. Unfortunately he needs to be elsewhere this arvo, so we left it at that with the bottom of the zipper still needing stitching back up, he said to bring it back in 2 weekends and it won't take long to finish....also said it would be a good idea to replace the other slider on the outer door that I previously squeezed shut tighter to work properly, as the one he removed was quite worn and likely the other one is the same.....so gunna do that one then also.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
took the camper down to see them today....a really nice guy and would happily recommend him.
I only expected him to have a quick look at it and tell me what needed doing and when to bring it back.....instead he unscrewed part of the tent section apart, unpicked the stitching at the bottom of the zipper and managed to get the slider to zip up all the way to the end to then remove the slider. He has fitted a new slider to the zip and the zipper works fine now. Unfortunately he needs to be elsewhere this arvo, so we left it at that with the bottom of the zipper still needing stitching back up, he said to bring it back in 2 weekends and it won't take long to finish....also said it would be a good idea to replace the other slider on the outer door that I previously squeezed shut tighter to work properly, as the one he removed was quite worn and likely the other one is the same.....so gunna do that one then also.

Nice to hear, good service is still alive and well in some businesses.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru