Author Topic: ARB verses The Rest  (Read 17436 times)

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
ARB verses The Rest
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »
Okay can somebody shed some light on the fact that is it true ARB products are 10 times better than anything else??

ARB Intensity LED spots $1900.00 fitted
4WD Supercentre 9" LED spots and 22" LED bar free postage $189.00

Can somebody with far more knowledge than me explain the difference here please. Are they that inferior??

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/specials/supa-combo-deals/pair-of-9-round-led-driving-lights-22-led-light-bar.html
2003 IFS V8 100 series
The following users thanked this post: andyandcill

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: ARB verses The Rest
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »
I got a quote from ARB for the suspension for my Cruiser, that's as far as it went after reading the price.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm unashamedly a massive ARB fan so my opinion will be biased ;D ... there's no doubt that ARB charge accordingly for their products, they market themselves extremely well & produce industry leading gear. 4WDSC are at the other end of the equation, their products may work, they may not work or they may work for a while. Luck of the draw. In comparing those two lighting systems you're not comparing apples with apples, some would be prepared to gamble on the junk that is 4WDSC while others wouldn't. Compare feedback from people who have had the gear on their cars for 5+ years, I doubt too many people will have had anything from 4WDSC last that long, ARB could be expected to last significantly longer. People have varying budgets too, some can't justify or afford ARB prices.
The following users thanked this post: broncos11

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
I'm unashamedly a massive ARB fan so my opinion will be biased ;D ... there's no doubt that ARB charge accordingly for their products, they market themselves extremely well & produce industry leading gear. 4WDSC are at the other end of the equation, their products may work, they may not work or they may work for a while. Luck of the draw. In comparing those two lighting systems you're not comparing apples with apples, some would be prepared to gamble on the junk that is 4WDSC while others wouldn't. Compare feedback from people who have had the gear on their cars for 5+ years, I doubt too many people will have had anything from 4WDSC last that long, ARB could be expected to last significantly longer. People have varying budgets too, some can't justify or afford ARB prices.

Thanks mate. Probably should have worded my thread so it didn't look like I was bagging ARB as such, which wasn't my real intention. More the fact that a nuffy like me doeesn't really understand why there is such a huge difference in price, bearing in mind that I could replace the cheaper version every 2 years for the next 20 years for the same price??
2003 IFS V8 100 series

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
It's like anything, there's a low, mid and high point in the market. Are you prepared to buy something cheaper and potentially have it not fit for purpose. Or do you spend the $$$ and have the R&D, warranty, AU wide support etc. It's your consumer choice. One thing is for sure, you won't continue in business selling cheap. Look at how 'premium' Ironman has made itself these days. I'm an ARB fan and couldn't justify the $$$ for ARB lights, so I went with a mid level light. However, if I needed a front bar the only place I would go is ARB.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:48 PM »
Okay can somebody shed some light on the fact that is it true ARB products are 10 times better than anything else??

ARB Intensity LED spots $1900.00 fitted
4WD Supercentre 9" LED spots and 22" LED bar free postage $189.00

Can somebody with far more knowledge than me explain the difference here please. Are they that inferior??

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/specials/supa-combo-deals/pair-of-9-round-led-driving-lights-22-led-light-bar.html
1 of them you can get your lights when you order (actually go in and pick them up) without a nightmare of dealing with them, and endless emails then the flood of spam..
`the other is 4wdSC...

Fwiw, I'd want someone to shoot me if I paid $1900 for spotties. Plenty of good options for less than 1/2 that ... They also sell well at the pub after they are stolen.

Agree with Jamie on the bullbar
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:36:43 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Chris.

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »

Thanks mate. Probably should have worded my thread so it didn't look like I was bagging ARB as such, which wasn't my real intention. More the fact that a nuffy like me doeesn't really understand why there is such a huge difference in price, bearing in mind that I could replace the cheaper version every 2 years for the next 20 years for the same price??

All good. I can't be much help on lights, I don't have them. But I've been around forums long enough to have heard so much vitriol about 4WDSC, poor customer service, no warranty back up, phone calls & emails get ignored, delivery times are an abomination etc. Its a gamble.

Offline Ben.Archer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
My light bar - bought from ebay for ~$50 works perfectly; Mounted on an ARB Colour coded bar with a Runva Winch.

Mix and match.  For some things ARB prices are a joke - for others I would pay but the bar was within $100 of the Opposite Lock equivalent  and looks far better.
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2000 90 Series Toyota Prado RV6
2013 MDC Off Road Step-Through V3 - Heavily modded and I am only just starting :-)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
Hi Broncos11, I have had both ARB and TJM steel bull bars could not tell the difference they did the job, Hate to hit a big Roo with both to me made to light, and both were rusty after 4 to 6 years, As for there light please $1900 you got to be joking, I have one Hella 4000 with a 100watt payed $50 for it of Gumtree, And I found a FYRLYT spotty laying on the road it has a 150 Xenophot bulb simply the best bulbed spotty I have had on any 4wd so far, for range and brightness, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
I personally wouldn't pay that much for lights, but a mate bought the ARB led spotties not long after they first came out.  I actually thought he had bought some more recently when I saw them on a new vehicle he had just got.  He said nope same ones, 3rd vehicle they've been transfered too. Still going strong and look like new years later.

So many options light wise these days,  expensive ain't necessarily the best and cheap ain't necessarily the worst.
Bar wise Ive found ARB to be pretty good, especially with colour coded bars.
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline woftam

• Tent User
  • Conanti dabitur
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
I bought ARB gear as a newby mainly because there was a local branch, they had the advertising and the reputation and I didn't know enough to evaluate other options. Every thing I bought is still going strong 5 - 7 years later.
The only ARB product I feel it would be fair for me to comment on is their fridge. So far I have owned ARB, Engel and Ironman fridges. I would rate the ARB the best of that group.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
-Dr. Seuss

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
It's like anything, there's a low, mid and high point in the market. Are you prepared to buy something cheaper and potentially have it not fit for purpose. Or do you spend the $$$ and have the R&D, warranty, AU wide support etc. It's your consumer choice. One thing is for sure, you won't continue in business selling cheap. Look at how 'premium' Ironman has made itself these days. I'm an ARB fan and couldn't justify the $$$ for ARB lights, so I went with a mid level light. However, if I needed a front bar the only place I would go is ARB.
I used to think the same, but got quoted $4800 for my Amarok bar
Ironman sold me a deluxe winch bar for $850, $150 to have it painted the same as my truck and $150 fitting
( I will say that I wasn't happy with the finished fitting, but that was the local installer, I refitted it myself and am very happy with the bar. I have since parked up next to a genuine ARB deluxe winch bar and compared, other than my bar has a winch cradle(a plus in my eyes) I can't see anything structurally different with the actual bar
Lloyd

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
l hav an ARB bulbar on my Paj with the ARB badge in the insert ,, that has been sprayed black over to cover the brand .               :laugh: :cheers:
My Rig     my choice             :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 08:50:46 PM »
lol
I would have another arb, just can't see why my disco arb bar was 1800, yet my Amarok was going to be $4800 only 2 years later, both were deluxe winch bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
Quality gear from a innovative Australian company. I wouldn't pay the amount for the lights but that is because  I no longer do the night driving to warrant the expense. In fact on my current 4wd I am happy with no driving lights and may consider a Narva LED light upgrade as a compromise.
The most of my gear has been sourced from ARB through a great franchise at Calboolutre. I am happy to use ARB as my 1st choice. I am also happy to buy other quality gear from the likes of Rhino,redarc,and small operators like Kaon over the stuff that Supa-centre sell. In saying that I do have a kings RTT.
If I had a 10-15 year old 4wd I probably would throw the supa-centre gear on it, but not on a new $xx thousand dollar vehicle.
I am also biased to ARB as I was wise enough to buy shares many years ago not that long after listing and today those shares are now worth a lot more.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 09:33:24 PM »
Similar to Rags in that I had at the time of purchase a nearly $60k vehicle and I wanted quality gear. I am a big ARB fan and think a huge percentage of their bar work suits the vehicle lines more than other bar brands. I have a fair bit of kit that is either ARB branded or sourced from ARB eg Safari, OME, Rhino, IPF etc.
Would I pay for the ARB LED lights. Not on your life but I have been really interested in the 4WDSC units for a long time but have yet to see them in the flesh to compare to the ARB ones. Also their awnings interest me as well.
D4D made a good point on price points and you really need to assess the risk. I have an ARB fridge. People say you can buy multiple cheaper fridges and still be in front but if you are in the middle of the Simpson and your cheap fridge packs it in and spoils all your food are you going to say that is OK I will buy another and still save money. Same with winches.

Another side to the argument is does anyone remember Hyundai in the mid '90s and the quality of their product. Look at them now.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:23 AM »
Twist

ARB's logo is far better than any of it's competitors  ;D
I dont like any yellow logo, it looks cheap  >:D with the exception of lightforce, a true aussie icon in its logo  ;D
Kangaroo's on wheels just dont do it for me nor do any other silly pictures of steroid load animals or monsters   >:D
Royalty logo looks desperate  >:D
etc, etc
ARB show girls are truly the cream of the crop............I could never afford one of them.
 ;D

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:56:54 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
Some logos are also confused. I was stopped at the lights opposite Ironman HQ yesterday. My son says 'why do they have hulk when it says ironman'  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »
Some logos are also confused. I was stopped at the lights opposite Ironman HQ yesterday. My son says 'why do they have hulk when it says ironman'  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's gold! I'd pay that.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
I used to think the same, but got quoted $4800 for my Amarok bar
Ironman sold me a deluxe winch bar for $850, $150 to have it painted the same as my truck and $150 fitting
( I will say that I wasn't happy with the finished fitting, but that was the local installer, I refitted it myself and am very happy with the bar. I have since parked up next to a genuine ARB deluxe winch bar and compared, other than my bar has a winch cradle(a plus in my eyes) I can't see anything structurally different with the actual bar
Lloyd

My boy has a new Colorado (not that I'm disowning him ..........yet........... >:D ;D ). He researched his bar and sidesteps. After recovering from the ARB price, he found out that ARB and TJM (and a couple of other sole bulbar manufacturers) are the only ones who test and have tested airbag compatibility. This includes side airbag with sidesteps and brush bars. Let's just say, he's saved his sheckles and went with a certified brand. The cheap copies (and that's all they are) and backyard mate of a mate who owns a welder are just that. COPIES.

Your choice as to your own safety and wallet.............
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
My boy has a new Colorado (not that I'm disowning him ..........yet........... >:D ;D ). He researched his bar and sidesteps. After recovering from the ARB price, he found out that ARB and TJM (and a couple of other sole bulbar manufacturers) are the only ones who test and have tested airbag compatibility. This includes side airbag with sidesteps and brush bars. Let's just say, he's saved his sheckles and went with a certified brand. The cheap copies (and that's all they are) and backyard mate of a mate who owns a welder are just that. COPIES.

Your choice as to your own safety and wallet.............

And that there is often the biggest difference in price you are paying for the R&D certification etc
Yes the lights may be overkill but when it comes to bar work on the modern vehicle ARB is one of the few if only that i trust that the R&D has been completed correctly and when kitting out fleet vehicles we get certificates of compliance produced on demand and not vague stories of computer simulated testing.
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
 It's hard to be too critical of ARB, sure they ask a lot but for the most part they sell quality products that are well fitted, on the other side is that they have invited into the marketplace plenty of competitors, ie TJM, Opposite Lock, Ironman etc who largely exist because people aren't prepared to pay the ARB tax. It's the old story, they are sitting ducks in the marketplace but they have made it that way.

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
Thanks people.
as mentioned, it wasn't my intention to have a go at ARB products. I love there stuff and if and when I get a new vehicle, I dare say there will be a lot of ARB product on it. My question was, and I probably should have been a bit clearer, is there obvious reasons as to why lighting products around the middle of that $1700.00 price gap shouldn't  be considered. And maybe get an idea of alternatives from members. I fully get quality of bullbars, safety gear etc are a totally different story.
2003 IFS V8 100 series

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
As many has said, ARB gear are good except for the price.
I have an ARB bar. Why? Same reason as others has said already: tested.
It depends on what you buy. If it is safety, go for the good stuff.
If it's nice to have, you can go for the cheap brands.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar