Author Topic: Best way to clean a water tank  (Read 1451 times)

Offline MrNoodle

• Swag User
Best way to clean a water tank
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:53 AM »
Just wondering what the best way to clean a water tank was? I took my ezy trail out for its first use over easter and started to fill a water bottle from the onboard stainless tank (I had flushed it once previously) and she was a bit yellow rusty in colour

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline DRB120

• Tent User
Re: Best way to clean a water tank
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »
I put a full bottle of Milton in the tank, then fill it to about 90% full, go for a drive around the block a few times. Let it sit for a few hours and then empty and refill the tank twice.
2005 Prado 120 & 2013 Jawa Offshore 1

KingBilly

Re: Best way to clean a water tank
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
Just wondering what the best way to clean a water tank was? I took my ezy trail out for its first use over easter and started to fill a water bottle from the onboard stainless tank (I had flushed it once previously) and she was a bit yellow rusty in colour

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This has been done a thousand times already.  Last time about two weeks ago.  Try searching before asking.

But to answer your question.  Fill the tank, remove the drain, flush with clean water.  A plastic tank will be clean from new with the exception of any filings from adding fittings (shouldn't be any as all good tanks have moulded fittings).  Stainless tanks could have anything inside so suggest a couple of flushes and sterilising it with some Miltons or similar bleach type products.  Give it a good flush afterwards.  Any excess chlorine will evaporate.

Best to only fill from a known and safe supply.  When away from a known safe supply use a filter in the filling hose plus there are products to sterilise if still unsure.

Suggest if your tank had brown coloured water, that it may not be a good quality stainless. Remember, water does not go off.  Keep the sun out (no clear hoses) and nothing grows in it.

KB
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:13:36 AM by KingBilly »