Author Topic: Robust discussion  (Read 1797 times)

KingBilly

Robust discussion
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
I'm an avid reader of this forum and an occasional poster.  I just can't get enough of the helpful info and the friendly banter.  I try very hard to only post comments which are helpful or informative.  I think a search of my past posts will confirm this.

Now occasionally there is a bit of robust discussion between members.  More often than not this occurs in the electrical section which I think gets an undeserved bad rap.  IMHO it is by far the most helpful section on here.  I believe robust discussion is healthy and is to be encouraged in a liberal, democratic society such as ours.  However there are times on this forum where that robust discussion has degenerated to become a personal attack.  Nothing too serious but nonetheless, it is not warranted nor conducive to the friendly nature of this forum.

I have been guilty of stirring the pot on the odd occasion. I have my personal "dislikes" such as generalisations not backed by facts, and I have jumped on the keyboard and given a bit of a smart reply which in hindsight could have been worded better.  I truly think I could count all instances where I am guilty of this on one hand.  However, each time that it has been pointed out to me that I may have caused offence, I have been happy to step up and offer my apologies.  Maybe others need to swallow their pride a bit and offer apologies where apologies are due.

What's my point?  It takes two parties to argue.  If you have a problem with a post, or member, think twice before hitting the send button.  Most times a smart arse response won't achieve anything.  If the post, or member, is getting to you, send a PM in response rather than broadcasting your vent on the forum.  And if it is all too much and your blood pressure is about to blow a valve, PM a moderator.  Please, let's keep this forum friendly.

KB

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
Re: Robust discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:25:56 PM »
yes it can get a bit interesting when someone regards a few hours' "research" on the Net, reading a book and talking to a sales rep provides the same "knowledge" as a degree or three, or decades of hard-won experience

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Robust discussion
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
Too right. As I often say "let's work as a team and do it my way"  8).

No one has the right not to be offended, but if we all try to avoid causing offense it's a god start. I have always valued the opinions and experience on here, indeed that is why we have so many members; because we have so many good discussions.

Don't forget to go camping as well. It has been my experience that the more folks who actualy know each other on here, the higher quaity the interaction.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails