Author Topic: What would you do if the "service agent" trashed your camper during servicing?  (Read 18184 times)

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
So so angry and upset, we bought the Swan in to the recommended agent to have the riser arm replaced under warranty and also for its 1st service. Also to check over a few other things that we wanted looked at, etc, inside bed pole a bit wobbly, air in taps, small grease mark on canvas where worm popped out when riser arm broke.
Anyway it was nothing but an awful experience! The service was terrible, owner was rude. On finally picking up the van after getting give the run around I find this morning they have scratched the outside of the van near a clip. The front boot paint has a but gouge in it where they have obviously tried to push in bed with boot up. There was grease on our pillows and Doona and also on the canvas on the inside. They pushed the tap on the inside and cracked the outer casing that holds the wires for power. There was dirt and stones all through the van and muddy footprints. I was willing to look past the mess, but once seeing the gouged paint and scratches on the outside I am really upset. It's a brand new camper only 6 weeks old :(

What would you do?
2007 Holden Rodeo with 2012 Jayco Swan Outback :)

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
mongrels....can you talk to jayco to see if they can help and I would go to town on the service agent threatning to go to the tv stations.

Take photos also.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den

Slap Them.  Say a few choice words.  Take photo's of everything.  Email them to the State Manager.  Ring the State Manager.  Slap Him.  Say a few choice words.

Kit_e   :cup:
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
Sicilianmama,

As a trademan I must say this approach the service agent first explain the situation calmly and rationally. Going in with all guns blazing will attract return fire.  The boss may not be aware of the problem, and (if he cares about his reputation) should make  the neccesary steps to rectify it.  Obviously in NO way do I approve of the mess they have made of it. That is woeful service and sloppy workmanship. I just recommend approaching them first before taking it higher. Take a written list of the faults (with photos if neccesary) and (calmly) demand that action is taken.

I hope it all goes well ......

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline richee

• Tent User
Sicilianmama,

I hope it all goes well ......

If not, slap him too !
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
I agree with Chippy, best to go in calm and with all the facts. If that dosen't work then go in boots and all.

Trevor

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Take photos and send to Jayco head office.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline gowalkabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Walkabout 4WD & Camping Accessories
I agree with Chippy, best to go in calm and with all the facts. If that dosen't work then go in boots and all.

Trevor

X2
2007 Camprite TL8s
2012 Nissan Patrol GU8
Formally known as Tas130
www.gowalkabout.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/gowalkabout?ref=hl

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
I would leave the photos to jayco until AFTER you have approached the service agent ....

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
I would leave the photos to jayco until AFTER you have approached the service agent ....

Agreed, you can always escalate, de-escalating (?) is much harder.  Take photos and take notes / keep copies of all correspondence and phone calls.  IF push comes to shove later, you will make a much better case if you have all the evidence and can show that you made it clear what the problem was, and what you wanted done for rectification AND that you behaved in a reasonable fashion.  Especially if the agent didn't behave in a reasonable manner.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline poidda

• Swag User
Try and do it via email if you can.  That way it is fully documented and timestamped for you.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
So so angry and upset, we bought the Swan in to the recommended agent to have the riser arm replaced under warranty and also for its 1st service. Also to check over a few other things that we wanted looked at, etc, inside bed pole a bit wobbly, air in taps, small grease mark on canvas where worm popped out when riser arm broke.
Anyway it was nothing but an awful experience! The service was terrible, owner was rude. On finally picking up the van after getting give the run around I find this morning they have scratched the outside of the van near a clip. The front boot paint has a but gouge in it where they have obviously tried to push in bed with boot up. There was grease on our pillows and Doona and also on the canvas on the inside. They pushed the tap on the inside and cracked the outer casing that holds the wires for power. There was dirt and stones all through the van and muddy footprints. I was willing to look past the mess, but once seeing the gouged paint and scratches on the outside I am really upset. It's a brand new camper only 6 weeks old :(

What would you do?

That is digraceful service and treatment of your new pride and joy... As others have said stay calm it always works better.

Geez you went in quick for the first service !!!!

Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
The service was terrible, owner was rude. What would you do?

I can't see them being reasonable especially after this comment ... with or without slapping, either being calm or saying choice words.  Approach them again ... yes definitely ... but what do you think they will say if the owner was rude in the first instance.  They are going to say "sod off" in my opinion, but give them the doubt of having a "bad day" that day.  It's no excuse really.  I'd also be advising HQ so they can take it a bit further internally.

Siciliamnmama ... now you know where NOT to take your CT for servicing issues in the future I'm guessing.

I find it hard to believe they let this go out the door with so many issues as new in the first place, but I'm used to exceptional customer service from my CT manufacturer.  Yes I understand having a bad day, but if you are making these day in and day out, I would expect better.

Take those photos now no matter what you decide to do or what your approach.  A photo says more than you can say and shows the viewer exactly what you mean without having to open ones mouth.  Ensure you get the right angle to show the dents clearly as sometimes it's a bit tricky to see them straight on without standing in front of it yourself.

What ever you do ... do it quickly so you can have this sorted and behind you for your next trip.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
Id be straight on the phone to Jayco Head office. Doesnt sound like a good situation i hope its gets sorted out in a proper manner.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Sicilianmama,

As a trademan I must say this approach the service agent first explain the situation calmly and rationally. Going in with all guns blazing will attract return fire.  The boss may not be aware of the problem, and (if he cares about his reputation) should make  the neccesary steps to rectify it. 
apparently they have already been rude to him
"The service was terrible, owner was rude"

The owner is aware... he sounds like scum.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Shameless isn't it.

Sadly, all to normal now.

Same thing happened with my dad and his caravan to seller/service agent in Perth.
couldbt give a toss.

More than 12 weeks at the agent, hadn't toiched it, but what looked like they used it for display van.
stuff missing from innide van. Told him all was done, dad drove 500km to pick it up, was filthy ad they had one nothing..
Overnight motel stay and then drive 500 km back home again
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Hey Siciliamnmama, I would be interested in knowing who you used. In Toowoomba or Brisbane.... have to take mine for for service soon and wont be taking it there....

Regards

Scott

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
I would get onto jayco and say u want NOTHING MORE THAN THE REPAIRS DONE and if they cant fix it  TELL THEM U WANT A NEW VAN because your service guy has damaged my new van .

Tell them that u go on quite a few camping forums and we are all interested in seeing what the outcome is .

i would name and shame this asswipe .

craig

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
I would get onto jayco and say u want NOTHING MORE THAN THE REPAIRS DONE and if they cant fix it  TELL THEM U WANT A NEW VAN because your service guy has damaged my new van .

Tell them that u go on quite a few camping forums and we are all interested in seeing what the outcome is .

i would name and shame this asswipe .

craig

X2....

Cheers!!
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Janbo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Jayco Eagle - Jeep Cherokee KK
Slap Everyone very hard!!
We are all in the gutter....... But some of us are looking at the stars!!

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
Name and Shame mate
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline SUPA105

• Saw it....wanted it....chucked a fit....got it
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Ask nicely ONCE......document and photograph, when the niceties fail I have always been able to talk to the person who can mak a difference with the line......" Let me talk to the person that has the authority to FIRE YOU".......seems to get a result on the few times I have used it.

Cheers

Chris
2000 GXL Landcruiser with toy's
2004 Wallaby camper
& bugger all time to get the two together.....

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
Hi Sicilianmama,

Sorry to hear. I think you have done well not to have done something nasty to the manager/owner at the time.

Do you have any pictures of the Jayco before you took it in for service? They might suggest it arrived in that condition (sounds like they might).

Best hope is for Jayco to come to the party. They can sort the agents out.

I wonder if someone took it on a trip whilst it was being 'serviced'.  Dirt and gravel in the van sounds odd unless the service area is in such an area.

Good luck.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
I'm all for going in calm and organised first.

Deal with this face to face, it is harder to say no when someone is talking to you, it is easy to say no and be tough in an email.

I had an incident a few years ago where the prado was serviced incorrectly and resulted in a major breakdown whilst on holidays and left us mid way to a destination and no car for 4 days.

On our return From holidays I calmly explained what happend, provided all the evidence, and got all the costs reimbursed, no question.

As someone else mentioned you can escalate it later if at first you don't succeed.

Grant