Author Topic: Tassie swaggers, and ct's  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Xfigio

• Swag User
Tassie swaggers, and ct's
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
Hi fellow Tassie swaggers.  Out of interest, what months do you get to use your camper trailer? 

We currently tent, and find the summer is so short for planning a trip.  We're hoping that with a ct, we'll have more capacity to just take off when the weather's good, as there's less prep and setup time involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.  It's a significant purchase, so want to be sure it will get use outside of our annual pilgrimage to the north island.
Loving life with my family

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Tassie swaggers, and ct's
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Mainly from November throught till April but have put in a few mid winter trips with generators and electric blankets ;D
It a great thing to wake up toasty warm, zip down the window to discover an inch of frost on the ground or a few inches of snow........until the genny needs refueling :'(
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
Mainly from November throught till April but have put in a few mid winter trips with generators and electric blankets ;D
It a great thing to wake up toasty warm, zip down the window to discover an inch of frost on the ground or a few inches of snow........until the genny needs refueling :'(

I'm confused as to why folk live in Tassie.  Beautiful place. Lots of history & nature. But geez, the weather.  We were there Jan/Feb 2011 and had the diesel heater going most nights.   :'(
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline cewilson

• Tent User
    • cewilson
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »
I'd be back living there in a heartbeat if we had a base down there.  Absolutely love the place.

As for when we use the camper trailer when we're down there - all the time.  Doesn't matter what time of year as it can snow at anytime.  Some of the best trips I've done have been in winter.  A good campfire, decent rated sleeping bags and a good cuppa go a long way to making you feel better.

Cheers
Chris
1998 Trak Shak
200tDi Defender
90 series Prado, gas/petrol

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »
I'm confused as to why folk live in Tassie.  Beautiful place. Lots of history & nature. But geez, the weather.  We were there Jan/Feb 2011 and had the diesel heater going most nights.   :'(

The weather is always the weather.  Its just that sometimes we have inappropriate clothing.....   ;D

But your right - snow here xmas before last.  Snow last week in the mtns.

I actually think its like living in canberra.  Embrace the four seasons.   ;D
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
Hi fellow Tassie swaggers.  Out of interest, what months do you get to use your camper trailer? 

We currently tent, and find the summer is so short for planning a trip.  We're hoping that with a ct, we'll have more capacity to just take off when the weather's good, as there's less prep and setup time involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.  It's a significant purchase, so want to be sure it will get use outside of our annual pilgrimage to the north island.

In answer to what you actually asked.............  :D

I'd say a Camper trailer that's well set-up & ready go at a moments notice would be well worth considering. They are just so convenient compared to lugging similar gear around but with it spread throughout the car, on the roof racks, etc, etc. Hopefully you get what I mean. With a CT it's all where it should be and things just work better.

There are a few things that I'd opt for if I had my time again & the money.
* a diesel heater - I'd say in a place like Tassie (where 4 seasons can be experienced in one day) that this could be marriage saver. Happy wife = happy life  ;D
* hot water system - It adds to the weight and undoubtedly you will use more water but nothing makes camping seems less uncivilised than hot water on tap. It's like luxury.
* tropical roof - Not 100% sure if it's needed in Tassie but the ability to keep things cooler inside is a real plus.

The best tropical rood design that I've seen is on the Aussie Swag with it's little internal roof flap to improve air flow.

Even though I have an older Kimberley Kamper, I reckon the Aussie Swag ticks all the boxes nicely.

There are some real bargains around at the moment.

Cheers - Wayne

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
Hi Xfigio, use ours all year round. Don't worry about the weather, winter can be great. Just take the correct gear and have a big camp fire.

Trevor

Offline Xfigio

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  It's heartening to know it's do-able.  The ideas of heaters and hot water sound good, just have to consider the $ factor.

As to why we live in Tas, we used to live in SEQ's heat, and to be honest, we spend more time outdoors here.  It's just a matter of dressing correctly.
Loving life with my family

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
We would use our camper trailer from October through to April. We have sleeping bags for us and the kids rated to -12. Must get a heater sorted for it though.......

2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
easier to warm your self up on a cold night rather than cool your self down on a scorching hot night so all year round we use the camper and the wet dont bother me as with out rain there is no water and without water there is no beer so on a wet day i just look at the rain falling and smile  :cheers: :cup: but taking a ct as said is always set up to go so no planning required
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
Hi,
   this rig passed us when we were up in the Great Lake area.

Not sure if it is a Swagger's rig or not, but as mentioned above, you can get warm on a cold day in the bush much easier than keeping cool when it is hotter than civilised.

cheers

Offline gowalkabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Walkabout 4WD & Camping Accessories
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:26:53 PM »
We use ours all year round. no need for heaters they are just a nice luxuary if the $'s permit, but even in the coldest weather a good set of thermals will keep you warm and will cost alot less. I think camprite got it right with its thermal fly , nice and cool on the hot days and suprisingly warm on the cold days.
2007 Camprite TL8s
2012 Nissan Patrol GU8
Formally known as Tas130
www.gowalkabout.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/gowalkabout?ref=hl

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
Well considering we only got ours in November I cant yet say all year around but if given half the chance I will be using it as much in July as in January. I enjoy some fresh water fishing and have spent many a cold night (and day) in the central highlands but to see my great state covered in snow is as glorious as some of our great beaches so I guess it's up to the individual and what sort of use they want it for.

When we are home we rug up and keep warm by the heater.fire so why would it be any different when camping? If anything it gives an extra excuse for the missus to come a bit closer in the night  ;D

As for them northern staters, how do you manage to keep cool in summer, battle the snakes trying to get into your camper, struggle with the flies and mozzies etc etc etc.........? IMO it's easier to throw on an extra garment to keep warm than it is to cool down when you are allready wearing the minimim and the snakes and insects are in hibernation, a win for tassie here!

There is a definite knack to getting the camper set up and once you have conquered this it should only take a few minutes to hook up and head off on your night, weekend, week away in this great state of ours :cheers: