Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1730324 times)

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #4250 on: May 25, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
tried out a new lighting option for the camper trailer:

3 bulbs for $10 delivered...

they work an absolute treat, too...  a softer, more even spread of light, compared to my led strip lighting...

will end up putting some anderson powerpole connections on them and using them under the awning.  probably only need two of them...

small, light, use bugger all power and cheap...  :cup:
Those lights are great, i bought the ones with a AA battery in them years ago when the grand kids come along and they love them. They leave them on in the tents when they go to bed. Much better light than those super bright LED strips when relaxing around camp

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4251 on: May 25, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
Those lights are great, i bought the ones with a AA battery in them years ago when the grand kids come along and they love them. They leave them on in the tents when they go to bed. Much better light than those super bright LED strips when relaxing around camp

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You’re right about the different light spread from these, compared to the led strips... these bulbs seem to be a much more even spread which isn’t as harsh on the eyes, but still gives plenty of light to eat or cook by...

For $3 a bulb, hard to go wrong... I’ll give them a go and see... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #4252 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07:22 PM »
Just ordered some of the 12vt 12wt LED lights, warm white...

I noticed the site said that they are not dimmable (as best as I understood), which is a bit of a pitty...

Looking forward to them arriving though...

Intend festooning the outer camp parameter - for a bit of extra atmosphere and/or pointing the way to the loo...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #4253 on: May 26, 2018, 05:26:56 AM »
I've been looking for a replacement for the exterior LED light on my swan. The interior lights all have a blue night-light setting, but the outside one only has the "open heart surgery lighting" setting. Might have to look into something like this for some more ambient lighting.

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #4254 on: May 26, 2018, 09:08:51 AM »
I've been looking for a replacement for the exterior LED light on my swan. The interior lights all have a blue night-light setting, but the outside one only has the "open heart surgery lighting" setting. Might have to look into something like this for some more ambient lighting.
I attach 4 x 50cm LED light bars onto the annex roof support bars (2 each bar held with cable ties) and connected via a sensor switch as well as a dimmer switch to the 12v external plug.
I think I got 4 LED light bars for under $30 off eBay from an online company called DIY by memory. Have had no issues and keep them in a pillow case with the poles.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4255 on: May 26, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
Thanks for the post Paceman.  I grabbed a 9W and a 18W bulb on ebay last night.  For a few bucks each delivered, they're worth a test.

This is a pic from the ebay site.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4256 on: May 27, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
I wasn't going to do anything to this weekend as I have a house inspection during the week, but making a mess in the garage was more fun than cleaning.

So, under the pretense of getting some mower fuel I some how ended up at Jaycar and bought a relay and some connectors.
Back home I cut the cable and did a nasty job of splicing in the relay with another on/off switch that would be easier to access. It all worked, but the earth I had placed onto the case wasn't reliable, so I had the brilliant idea to open the case and splice into an earth there.

Well, what do you know!
Apart from the factory soldering job that looks like it was done a hot brick, inside there is a relay!

The factory on/off switch looks like it wasn't up to the amperage, so they used they to switch a relay. That made everything so much easier, all I had to do was run a wire from the relay to the pressure switch and from there back to the existing On/Off switch.

Simple... except that I'd hacked some out of the existing cable, so I shortened it 6" and soldered it back in. One day I'll add a longer cable as now it is just long enough to make it from the battery to the ground. I did find that I can also turn the end cover 90 degrees so I don't have to get my fingers past the hot air fittings to get to the On/Off switch.

So, from atmospheric to 110psi takes around 12 seconds, after 30 seconds it still hadn't bled down to 90, so I don't think a non return valve is required for my application, but I have a plan to re purpose the valve I binned from the extinguisher. Hopefully the bin hasn't been emptied.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mhqCe6IqGKA
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:53:36 PM by Hoyks »

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4257 on: May 27, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »
So with 3 BMX bikes to transport I decided we needed a better system than taking 2 cars to race night. Training isn't too bad as we don't all train at the same time. Plus when we travel for racing we obviously don't want to be running 2 vehicles. Although I wouldn't mind Wifey and the kids travelling in one and me in the other. I built a raised false floor for my box trailer from 17mm form ply and made compartments underneath to store our gazebo, chairs and equipment bags. I then got some thin  checker plate  rubber mat and glued it down on top. The false floor is held in by a ratchet strap that hooks on to 2 tie down points in the bottom of the trailer. I haven't finalised the tie down system for the bikes yet.
I also have a cage for the trailer which I might get a proper cover made to enclose the whole thing to keep everything out of sight. No pics as I'm waiting for the glue to dry.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4258 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:20 PM »

So, from atmospheric to 110psi takes around 12 seconds, after 30 seconds it still hadn't bled down to 90, so I don't think a non return valve is required for my application,

Nice work.  How does the compressor go restarting under load? 
On a 240v compressor they have an unloader valve before the check valve to release the air in the cylinder head after the  pressure cuts it.

I've been planning on mounting my Bushranger compressor under bonnet with a pressure switch, but can't find any info if the 12v versions need one?

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4259 on: May 27, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
Hoyks
Id be a bit careful running 110 psi in that set up.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4260 on: May 27, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
Hoyks
Id be a bit careful running 110 psi in that set up.

Why's that? The working pressure of the cylinder is 217psi and a 360psi test pressure. The pump data plate states its happy to do 150, so I'm erring on the side of caution. It doesn't have a relief valve, but I'm relying on the cheap hose bursting for now.
If it all works, then a relief valve will be added. I've see pressure vessels that have let go, done a bit of work with explosives and am very attached to my limbs.

As for starting against a head of pressure, it had no issues. I bled it down to the 90psi lower trigger pressure and it fired up straight away and took around 3 seconds to hit the cut out pressure. I'm going to cobble together a non-return valve into the Nitto fitting that clips onto the compressor fitting. That will keep the pressure in the storage vessel, but allow the pressure in the compressor to bleed down and unload that side of things
The pump isn't too sophisticated, having only reed valves in the head.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4261 on: May 27, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
It was the hose I was looking at. But I suppose if thats your safety valve your happy.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
« Reply #4262 on: May 27, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
I wasn't going to do anything to this weekend as I have a house inspection during the week, but making a mess in the garage was more fun than cleaning.

So, under the pretense of getting some mower fuel I some how ended up at Jaycar and bought a relay and some connectors.
Back home I cut the cable and did a nasty job of splicing in the relay with another on/off switch that would be easier to access. It all worked, but the earth I had placed onto the case wasn't reliable, so I had the brilliant idea to open the case and splice into an earth there.

Well, what do you know!
Apart from the factory soldering job that looks like it was done a hot brick, inside there is a relay!

Great minds think alike Hoyks, I am contemplating doing the same thing, either that or put a remote switch on the compressor?
a relief valve would be on my build. busted hose might hurt someone. I got a 100A relay and a pressure switch, but I got the wrong switch.
it was rated at 110 to 150PSI way too much.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4263 on: May 28, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »

Great minds think alike Hoyks, I am contemplating doing the same thing, either that or put a remote switch on the compressor?
a relief valve would be on my build. busted hose might hurt someone. I got a 100A relay and a pressure switch, but I got the wrong switch.
it was rated at 110 to 150PSI way too much.

A relief valve is in the mail, for $5 its not worth not having one.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4264 on: June 19, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
Did a bit more work on the new slide out kitchen today. Drawers are now made and recess cut out for stove. Hopefully have it done in the next week
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:32:04 PM by grafy82 »
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4265 on: June 19, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
Did a bit more work on the new slide at kitchen today. Drawers are now made and recess cut out for stove. Hopefully have it done in the next week

Thats not a kitchen thats art  :cup:
The following users thanked this post: grafy82

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4266 on: June 19, 2018, 09:30:06 PM »
Thats not a kitchen thats art  :cup:

Hahaha, you definitely wouldn't be saying that if you saw it in the flesh. Lots of mistakes.
My Trailer Build

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #4267 on: June 19, 2018, 11:04:57 PM »
Hahaha, you definitely wouldn't be saying that if you saw it in the flesh. Lots of mistakes.
Just as well you stepped back to take the pic. then  :cup: :cheers:
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4268 on: June 20, 2018, 06:55:00 AM »

wrap it in carpet, nobody will ever know  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4269 on: June 20, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
Just as well you stepped back to take the pic. then  :cup: :cheers:
;D haha, yep. A little trick is to slightly shake the camera as you take the photo too. Puts a bit of smoothing blur on things.

wrap it in carpet, nobody will ever know  ;D

Carpet, hmmmm. Wonder how easy it'd be to clean all the spills and cooking grease from it? :P
My Trailer Build

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #4270 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
I think Spada meant marine carpet.
Or the supposed weatherproof indoor outdoor stuff.
Both types are waterproof, and don't take staining so much.
You just have to clean it the right way.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4271 on: June 23, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
Thanks for the post Paceman.  I grabbed a 9W and a 18W bulb on ebay last night.  For a few bucks each delivered, they're worth a test.

This is a pic from the ebay site.

They turned up in the mail yesterday. Bit flimsy and not really weather proof, but the 18w one throws a ton of light. Need to fit a longer cable and plug, but will be handy lights around camp. Can't go wrong for the price.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #4272 on: June 23, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
Bit flimsy and not really weather proof

Couple squirts of silicone should fix that up.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4273 on: June 23, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
Go tired of losing the pillows in the camper, knocked up a lightweight bed head and bed rail out of 25mm PVC and 3mm ply, plus a couple of swivel clips to attach to the tent bows. Just need to tidy up and paint.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #4274 on: June 23, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Stuffed sround, had a couple of beers, moved some stuff, kinda cleared a Spot on the bench to put more crap on, had a couple more beers listening to the wireless.
Saturday arvo's
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)