Author Topic: The Daily Scam Thread  (Read 106173 times)

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The Daily Scam Thread
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
My elderly mother has been on the "do not call" register for years (not that it stops the overseas callers, charities and political parties).

She had a call tonight from a guy wanting to "check her registration" for the do not call list.

She might be 93 but she is still pretty alert and after a few questions she just hung up.

He rang back.

He wouldn't say where he was from, give a number I could call to check or accept her offer to write a letter.

So she hung up on him again.

Dunno what this might be about. Perhaps to remove her from the register?

Anybody heard of this one?

Cheers

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2017, 01:30:56 AM »
so once again "technology" is ****ing us over.. we aren't moving forward at all... Much harder to get scammed when you have to walk into a business in person to do your dealings.

Speaking of this, I was watching TV tonight when I get a message on the screen... "Samsung J1 (2016) wants to connect to your TV"
Not really a big deal I thought at first, just the neighbour having a play with his phone and found my TV pop up on his TV-phone mirror app. But then I remembered the show I watched last night about this bloke who examines all the exploits possible through wifi connected things. He connected to a wifi connected kettle (yeah, why would you need that), and fair enough, all he could do to it was turn it on. But, the other very handy thing he could find out, via the connection, was the un-encrypted passkey to the wifi network it was connected to. That opens up a lot of possibilities for a smart crook.

As for my TV (Samsung 6000 series), you can't switch off the direct wifi connection facility, you can only deny connection for each device that tries to connect. TV has no camera or mike, which was what the big concern was when it was found out you could hack into Samsung TVs, but I wonder how secure your network details and login and password (required for ABC? catchup TV) are?
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
What happened to The  TV providing boring programs to us & not entertaining the Nerds out there . ???         
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2017, 07:27:28 AM »
I was invited to sit in on a webinar for a great new healthy product yesterday. I didn't watch the spiel on this product but did some  research on a product linked to the name of the webinar folks "ASEA water". SCAM!!!!!!. Here is a link to a reputable group exposing it. There are plenty of discussions on the web about it.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/asea-another-expensive-way-to-buy-water/

The ASEA water is salt water that has been "altered" &  cures coughs, colds & sore holes, makes athletes into super beings, blah blah blah.

This product has been around for a while but it looks like a fresh assault is being made in Aus to fleece the unwary.   

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »
And they keep coming, got an email today supposedly from DOT WA. A payment receipt apparently but not sure why i would pay something to DOT WA when i'm in Vic.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

KingBilly

« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
And they keep coming, got an email today supposedly from DOT WA. A payment receipt apparently but not sure why i would pay something to DOT WA when i'm in Vic.

Got one too  ;D

KB
The following users thanked this post: pank

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »
Send em back, ask 'em for a refund because it'd been paid by mistake.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2017, 10:49:42 AM »
Something else to watch out for..

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
My elderly mother has been on the "do not call" register for years (not that it stops the overseas callers, charities and political parties).

She had a call tonight from a guy wanting to "check her registration" for the do not call list.

She might be 93 but she is still pretty alert and after a few questions she just hung up.

He rang back.

He wouldn't say where he was from, give a number I could call to check or accept her offer to write a letter.

So she hung up on him again.

Dunno what this might be about. Perhaps to remove her from the register?

Anybody heard of this one?

Cheers

Not heard of this one but geez it bugged me how many people would call my father despite him being on the Do Not Call registry. Like your mother he was pretty alert for his age right up til the end, so he'd get sick of them and bail them up on the phone asking them where they were from, usually getting promptly hung up on because of cause they were in violation for calling him and he could report them, LOL.

He would have regular cold callers knock at the front door trying to sell him all sorts of things too. Some of it legit, some of it not so much.

Speaking of this, I was watching TV tonight when I get a message on the screen... "Samsung J1 (2016) wants to connect to your TV"
Not really a big deal I thought at first, just the neighbour having a play with his phone and found my TV pop up on his TV-phone mirror app. But then I remembered the show I watched last night about this bloke who examines all the exploits possible through wifi connected things. He connected to a wifi connected kettle (yeah, why would you need that), and fair enough, all he could do to it was turn it on. But, the other very handy thing he could find out, via the connection, was the un-encrypted passkey to the wifi network it was connected to. That opens up a lot of possibilities for a smart crook.

As for my TV (Samsung 6000 series), you can't switch off the direct wifi connection facility, you can only deny connection for each device that tries to connect. TV has no camera or mike, which was what the big concern was when it was found out you could hack into Samsung TVs, but I wonder how secure your network details and login and password (required for ABC? catchup TV) are?

Its actually scary how inept a lot of "smart" IoT devices are at encrypting and protecting your information. With a lot of these connected devices, security is pretty woeful. I really love the concept of having things connected (though like you mentioned... a smart kettle, really?) but until security is better, I'm out.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
Anyone looking for a cheap outboard or BBQ.  Steer clear of these to scam sites.

https://www.topmarineoutboards.com.au

https://www.barbecuecity.com.au

A mate sent me a link to a very cheap 4 stroke outboard.  The old saying "if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is." had me wary.

The site looked suspect and 2 minutes of googling confirmed that, along with an almost identical BBQ site. A few people on FB have admitted to losing a few grand to this site.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
Anyone looking for a cheap outboard or BBQ.  Steer clear of these to scam sites.

https://www.topmarineoutboards.com.au

https://www.barbecuecity.com.au

A mate sent me a link to a very cheap 4 stroke outboard.  The old saying "if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is." had me wary.

The site looked suspect and 2 minutes of googling confirmed that, along with an almost identical BBQ site. A few people on FB have admitted to losing a few grand to this site.
https://ausregistry.com.au/whois - no surprise
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2017, 07:59:25 AM »
I thought they (or someone similar ???) actually got busted only a few weeks ago? :police:
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
The BBQ City one DOES have an ACN associated with the domain, but its for a company located in SA, not NSW. At least the business names appear to match...

Top Outboard Motors... is also concerning. There is an ABN associated with their domain, but that ABN seems to be for a DIFFERENT Marine company (entirely different name!) located in the NT... Hm.

Wonder if the owners of the ACN's/ABN's know their details are getting used for other websites... Pays to check the details behind any suspect website I guess!
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
Hats off to the ACCC for having a sense of humour and producing this gem:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/online-shopping/shopping-online#internet-shopping-explained-in-memes-

I don't know that it would actually help you avoid traps online, but hey, its amusing to watch.

Offline scrubber

• Swag User
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
I thought they (or someone similar ???) actually got busted only a few weeks ago? :police:

Something similiar - too similiar for my liking...
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/latvian-pair-charged-over-dozens-of-scam-websites-20170627-gx01ar.html
“Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.” George Carlin

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2017, 07:49:02 AM »
That's the ones, thanks Scrubber.

As you say, way to similar to be a coincidence - another couple of sites the cops hadn't found yet, or partners ???

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Work has distributed this info to check if your Email address has been published on a spam server - https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/alert-service/125-million-australian-email-accounts-leaked-online

That site has a link that you can use to check your details.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:56:33 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie, Fizzie, Paddler Ed

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2017, 08:13:29 AM »
Thanks Spada.

Just had a look & found my eldest son's Yahoo address listed :'(

Have already suggested to him that he dump Yahoo

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
Work has distributed this info to check if your Email address has been published on a spam server - https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/alert-service/125-million-australian-email-accounts-leaked-online

Unsurprisingly my "spam" account is on the list. Hence why I have a spam account in the first place.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »
Quote from: Spada

I find the URL they send you to interesting...
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Looks more like a phishing URL/site than much else to me
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
I find the URL they send you to interesting...
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Looks more like a phishing URL/site than much else to me

That site is legitimate.  Run by a bloke called Troy Hunt.   Google him and the site for verification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
one of my users just had the "ATO" automated call saying court proceedings etc...

https://www.numberlookup.com.au/number/0280067069  looking at the dates, its been extremely busy in last few days.. scared to think how many old people are getting ****ed over by this.

Gotta love the comments
"The bottom of the toilet bowl has produced yet another foul smelling piece of human faecal matter, in the form of this useless and ( no doubt ) Asian based scam group! If you are of the liberal and caring fraternity of souls, the fact they are all underendowed in the genital dept and attempting to fund their progression into uglier the ugly Ladyboys, you may feel the need to answer their pathetic message -- if not, simply flush quick!"
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bookleaf

• Tent User
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2017, 11:16:23 PM »
Well, came upon another one today that I had not heard of before.
My sister-in-law - aged 85- lives alone and does not have internet access or a computer/tablet/mobile. Details are time approximate as at it all happened over the 2 weeks before advised to me and last contact and theft to her was 4 days ago. She had several phone calls over several days selling solar. She got increasingly frustrated and said so on last call. With-in 24hrs, she had a call from "Telstra Help Desk" saying they believed she had been having scam calls and they can help. Seemed they had some personal details to help convince authenticity of Telstra. Not sure how it went but caller advised they can send a device to put on the phone line to stop spam calls. Also asked to CONFIRM HER 16 DIGIT VISA CARD NUMBERS WERE XXXXX, which she had to go and get to confirm. Caller did not ask for, or confirmed, expiry date or CVV. Caller said they would be sending the device out. Caller said if any problems, call 02 8103 2090 and his name was Peter Bardon and made reference to the company "Sword Smart". Upon hearing all this tonight, we made immediate contact to VISA (too late for bank) and found a on-line debit of $171 on Monday 18th had been made (4 days ago). She has never made any on-line transaction - ever. VISA cancelled her card immediately. Bank will be visited in the morning. Other phone numbers from her handset history seem to be 0043878712 and 02358924323 and 004701683.
She will not be answering any calls that are not identified with caller NAMES from her handset caller list from now on nor confirming or denying personal details to any cold caller if she does answer.!!! (I hope).
Isuzu MUX, LS-M, Cameron Canvas Camper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2017, 07:49:25 AM »
Quote from: Bookleaf
Other phone numbers from her handset history seem to be 0043878712 and 02358924323 and 004701683.
https://www.numberlookup.com.au/number/02358924323 - Seems its been calling a few people asking if they had been getting telemarketing calls.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home