Author Topic: New guy  (Read 3271 times)

Offline trumpy955

• Learning the Ropes
New guy
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
Hi, im Iain and its been 12 months since my last camping trip :(   oh wait this isnt campers annon  :D :D   
Just on here really to research a bit about campers and pick up some info along the way  :cheers:   Id love to buy a camper trailer at some stage, but thinking i will have to hire one and see how much i like it before i commit.
Looking forward to reading about your experiences and hopefully learn form your knowledge.
Save the whales, collect the whole set

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
Welcome aboard, plenty of info to keep you busy for awhile  ;D

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Big Damo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I work only for the holidays
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »
Welcome Iain,
Wife and I hired a camper, Loved it and now have our own.
You will get lots of advice here on anything camping related so here is mine.
Hire a camper give it a go and then join us all on the dark side
Cheers and happy camping
Damo

XR6 and Lifestyle Extenda Elite

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
New guy
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »
Hi, im Iain and its been 12 months since my last camping trip :( 

12 Hail Marys, sustain for 1 year and God will forgive you. Let it all out. We of the cloth forgive. :D Oops wrong booth :D Welcome
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:09:30 PM by Bullant4x4 »

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »
Welcome aboard Trumpy. Good idea to hire one mate I have suggested that too many. Good luck :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

scarps

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »

Hi, im Iain and its been 12 months since my last camping trip :(   oh wait this isnt campers annon  :D :D   
allo allo allo, looks like we have a bit o' a funny man here? You'll fit right in with us boring ol' farts.

Great to have you on board.

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
Welcome mate!

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
G'day Trumpy

good place to grab some info has helped me since i joined
just jump in an buy one i reckon, you can get one so cheap and upgrade from their

have fun
Ads
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »
Gidday Iain

Welcome to the forum, mate  ;D .

It is 26 years since my last alcoholic drink; but geez, do I like general anaesthetics ...  :cup: .

Seriously, I haven't been camping since my serious ill health started in around 1998. Then it was in a "Crusader tent". You know, one of those ones you chuck out on the ground, nail down, then walk into with its pole in your hand. These days, I am too buggered to get down to ground level a lot of the time, and getting up again can be a whole different experience if I can! I have been helped out of supermarkets by 80 y.o.s ... Very kind of them.

Anyway, I am looking forward to resuming this activity with my CT. If things get bad, I can just lie low for a few days wherever I am in some degree of comfort.

Keep an eye on the for sale forum here (and elsewhere) as Ads has suggested. Some very good deals come up from time to time.

Good luck with your searching. IMHO, it always helps a lot if you have a reasonably clear idea of what you are looking for ... :).

Offline trumpy955

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes from all. I am still wondering where I will put it, with the two bikes, two cars and box trailer taking up so much space. I do have all my normal camping stuff , but hopefully one day this will be the next progression. I guess as the kids get older it will help me decide what to buy ... if they like camping, I get a good one, if not then I wont need anything too fancy.  I got loads of time so I better get reading all your posts.
Cheers
Save the whales, collect the whole set

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
G'day again Iain

Thanks for the welcomes from all. I am still wondering where I will put it, with the two bikes, two cars and box trailer taking up so much space.

I know exactly what you mean, but for different reasons. We have a moderately sized double garage that was a carport turned into a garage before we bought the place.
It's packed full of so much crap ATM, that it is hard to find space to turn around! Once I get back from my trip to Brisbane and back, I intend to clear a space to park the CT in. This should be fairly easy. Clearing out the rest of it is another matter. We knocked down a dilapidated international shipping container that had all the garden stuff chucked in it to make way for SWMBO's ceramics kilns and work shed. All to the good, except that all that garbage is spread around the place as well, some of it in the garage.

The garage is about 5100 x 5100, with a further part to one side that's about 4200 x 1900. The cars are never going to be parked in it. Our cars have always been outside cars. It will make for a terrific workshop once I've cleared out most of the crap, and had some decent power put on to it. It's currently got one double GPO, and that's hanging off one of the most loaded power circuits in the whole house! Needs to have its own, so I can run power tools and welder etc in there.

I do have all my normal camping stuff , but hopefully one day this will be the next progression. I guess as the kids get older it will help me decide what to buy ... if they like camping, I get a good one, if not then I wont need anything too fancy.  I got loads of time so I better get reading all your posts.
Cheers

Even a really cheap trailer tent is pretty luxurious compared with what I've been used to all my life! Mine is around 20 m^2, with the annexe and sun room. Lots of people sell these that just bolt onto the top of an existing trailer. Just make sure the tent is designed for your trailer lip to ground height!

According to the advertising flyers one gets all the time, it should sleep about 30 people ... ;). Seriously, there is more than enough room for a couple and some kids to live in comfort. I am sure I have been in smaller bed-sitter apartments in my time ...  ;D .

Keep an eye on the for sale forum here. Lots of stuff comes up all the time, from what I can gather.