Author Topic: Newbie from Broome  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Kimberleycountry

• Learning the Ropes
Newbie from Broome
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
Hello
Newbie from Broome here.  It's about to get hot and stormy any time soon up here so I have got till dry season in April to do a lot of research about the best 4WD and CT for the Kimberleycountry. Will be first CT purchase and need plenty of advice about a good allrounder offroad CT and finding a 2nd hand one.  Looking forward to having a great tug and trailer ready for the dry next year.  All advice on a used CT and used 4WD fit for the Gibb and Cape Leveque and the occasional trek to Kununurra will be much appreciated.  There are only two of us so not looking for top of the range or bells and whistles, just strong and reliable.  Fantastic site, really enjoying the topics and threads.

scarps

Newbie from Broome
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum. As far as a 4WD goes for your area, suggest Toyota or Nissan. Depending on your budget, you should find service, support, parts and aftermarket access readily accessible.
I've just spent 12 months researching our new CT. There's lots of good ones, also saw lots of crap. I got down to 4 Aussie made models, but settled on a Trackabout for design, quality build, comfort and great resale value.

Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:33:21 PM by scarps »

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
Re: Newbie from Broome
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
Welcome. I also live in Broome, have for 4 years now. Where do you work etc. If you feel like a beer down at the beach one weekend let me know. I travel throughout the Kimberly for work so happy to give a few pointers if you feel it would help.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Kimberleycountry

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Thanks for quick welcome and advice.  I agree that Toyota and Nissan seem to be the choice of vehicle for the Northwest, I believe there is a statistic getting round somewhere that there are more Prado's per head in Broome than anywhere else in the Northwest!  We had a 2007 DX Patrol absolute bog standard for a year and while we didn't invest any money on it, we bought the wrong vehicle, it was worn out, underpowered and "agricultural."  We sold it for not much less than what we paid for it so didn't do too badly.  We bought it very uninformed thus we are researching before our next investment.

Thanks Steveandviv for the invite to the beach, sounds like a plan, were you thinking Gantheaume?  Would be great to get some knowledge about travelling through the Kimberley.

Offline JonnyB

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 12:55:05 AM »
Welcome, I too am new to the forum and am from the Top End of NT. After over a year of researching and coming close to buying used a couple of times we have settled on a new Vacation Camper from QLD.

We ended up spending more than originally planned probably due to the length of time we took to take the plunge.

Desert Sky Campers in Adelaide make a fairly well featured camper that may be worth a look depending on your budget, but of course there are plenty of others, Aussie Jays and Blue Tongue also.

We are planning a Gibb River Road trip next year spending a bit of time in Broome. Might be able to catch up with a fellow Swagger for a  :cheers:

JonnyB

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:49:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Good luck in your search for a tug and CT.  Looking is half the fun  :D  Go to the home page and use the search function.  Wealth of info on here.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Kimberleycountry

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
Thanks all for the welcome, the search function is great. Have had a good look around and at a few other sites too and there are some pretty common "must haves." Looking to spend about $10K, what do you reckon the 5 "non negotiables" are I should be looking for that would handle to Kimberley?

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
Hi and welcome Kimberleycountry!

are you looking for a vehicle and a trailer? Or just the trailer? Or both?  ;D

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Welcome to MySwag.  Good luck with your CT and tug search.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
Thanks for quick welcome and advice.  I agree that Toyota and Nissan seem to be the choice of vehicle for the Northwest, I believe there is a statistic getting round somewhere that there are more Prado's per head in Broome than anywhere else in the Northwest!  We had a 2007 DX Patrol absolute bog standard for a year and while we didn't invest any money on it, we bought the wrong vehicle, it was worn out, underpowered and "agricultural."  We sold it for not much less than what we paid for it so didn't do too badly.  We bought it very uninformed thus we are researching before our next investment.

Thanks Steveandviv for the invite to the beach, sounds like a plan, were you thinking Gantheaume?  Would be great to get some knowledge about travelling through the Kimberley.

Yes mate, we go there a bit. Most likely next weekend. I'll send you a PM with my number.

Offline Kimberleycountry

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »
Hi and welcome Kimberleycountry!

are you looking for a vehicle and a trailer? Or just the trailer? Or both?  ;D
Hi GeeTee, I should have been a bit clearer, yeah looking for both, used trailer around $10k-ish and something to tow it with too. I'll likely have to travel to Perth to find the tug but don't know about the trailer. There are heaps on this forum in the classifieds that would be fit the bill with modifications and all the fruit but none near me :)  I've got a little while to look around, hoping to start camping adventures early next year on the return of the dry season.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
lol... how about 'both' in my pic over there <

;D

It must be a challenge looking for vehicles etc in a more remote district
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:10:41 AM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Kimberleycountry

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »
lol... how about 'both' in my pic over there <

;D

It must be a challenge looking for vehicles etc in a more remote district
Super excited now, just managed to pick up a second hand 9ft Down Under Offroad Soft floor from just round the corner..... in Broome, that is unheard of.  The seller was kind enough to drop it round and include a bunch of extras.  Now just need something to tow it with.  Diesel 4WD for $15K that isn't beaten to death or has been swimming, do they exist or am I kidding myself?

Offline Steinzy

• Tent User
  • 1980's Jayco Dove
    • LJ Hooker Mermaid Beach
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
Welcome along
Steinzy

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
Super excited now, just managed to pick up a second hand 9ft Down Under Offroad Soft floor from just round the corner..... in Broome, that is unheard of.  The seller was kind enough to drop it round and include a bunch of extras.  Now just need something to tow it with.  Diesel 4WD for $15K that isn't beaten to death or has been swimming, do they exist or am I kidding myself?

Up here - nope  ;D Maybe best to look at Perth and get it shipped up?