Author Topic: Scam in Darwin - camper trailer for sale on gumtree  (Read 13457 times)

Offline Burko99

• Learning the Ropes
Scam in Darwin - camper trailer for sale on gumtree
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »
New member - thought I would share this with you

THIS IS A SCAMrelating to a Jayco van on sale on Gumtree

Thank you for your email.The total price included the delivery will be $12.400. I've told you, at this moment I am in Darwin NT in a military base, getting ready for TAS (I hope for the last time).I am doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The delivery will take 2 to 3 days depending on your location. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like Amazon Checkout coz I already prearranged the whole process with them, using their Amazon Checkout (bank-to-bank wire transfer).

The money will be sent to Amazon Checkout, before you will receive the camper trailer. So, you will deposit the payment directly into the Amazon Checkout bank account, either online or at most banks and they will hold and secure your money during the entire transaction. I repeat, they will hold and insure your money until receipt of the camper trailer in good condition and will release the funds to us only after you decide to keep the camper trailer and register it, into your name. If by any reason (the camper trailer has any hidden damages or is not like I describe it) you can reject the deal,in this case Amazon Checkout will refund you totally.

Let me know your details (full name, full address and home phone number) so I can open a transaction case with Amazon Checkout and declare you as buyer,and they will contact you with more details, and explain better the whole process.

I am looking forward to hear from you.
Regards,

SGM Sarah Christine Newman
Royal Australian Air Force

PS: If you need please find the swan details below.

VIN  6AM000000A1M13123
Rego 513QRN
Rego Expiry on 08/03/2013
No finance over the camper trailer

Also please find attached the copy of PPSR Certificate.

Sent: Wednesday, 27 February 2013 6:59 PM
Subject: RE: Jayco Swan

Sarah,
I was surprised to see that your van is in Darwin as my search stipulated 250km from Brisbane. But I am an interested buyer and am prepared to incur some costs to satisfy myself that your van is what I am after.

Should you wish to proceed I ask that you call me to discuss.

1.       How I might view the van which may require me flying to Darwin this weekend
2.       Emailing to me proof of ownership, registration papers, road worthy Certificates etc before I arrange any flights
3.       Payment terms
4.       Delivery options
5.       Selling price

Do you have additional photos of the interior ps

My home number is xxxxxxx

Regards
Peter Dewhurst
Samford Brisbane

From: Sarah Christine Newman [mailto:sarahnewman1952@yahoo.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February 2013 8:28 PM
To: Lynn
Subject: Re: Jayco Swan

Hello,

Thank you for your interest,for introduction my name is Sarah Christine Newman and i am selling this camper trailer because my brigade will deploy for 9 months to TAS. Please you can find some photo attached. I am under enormous time pressure cause I need to sell it fast,that being the reason for selling it so low. It is in perfect condition inside and out, never involved in accidents. From the beginning I must say that the camper trailer has all the paper works and i got the full service history. I confirm that now it have 4 months QLD rego. I've never smoked in it, and I want to sell it to a serious person. It is still available for sale if interested, finale price that i am asking is $12,000. The camper trailer is in Darwin in a military base, and in case it gets sold I will get it delivered to the purchaser for only $0.25/km (about$500) Distance as calculated by car GPS, 2-3 days for delivery. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
I only take in consideration the buyer that is really interested to buy my swan,to be sure that i don't spend my time with endless discussion,or pure curiosity.
I'll appreciate your attention in this matter!

Thanks for your interest,

SGM Sarah Christine Newman
Royal Australian Air Force

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
Re: Scam in Darwin - camper trailer for sale on gumtree
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
Write back and say your brother in law is in the army based at Darwin and he reckons he can get clearance to see it, or, your bro in law is in the navy also based in Darwin and he's never heard of you...play 'em along!
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
And they've dragged poor old Sarah Newman into it again.
She appears to be a real person who is in the army and a member of the Toyota Land Cruiser Club of Darwin, who's name is being used for this scam.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:07:26 PM »
I know many guys based at Larrakeyah (Naval Base) who would be more than happy to view it anytime......:-)
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
Hi,
  a google search on the ViN will show you where else it appears.

Dodgy as!

cheers

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »
Whilst a rego number, VIN number and expiry date quoted in a vehicle advert may be genuine, all these numbers can be easily obtained by simply looking at a Qld rego label.  Make sure you get an original copy of the rego papers.  Buyer beware.

KB

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
But Sarah's command of the English language is sooooooooooooo convincing.....how could this not be legit?
2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB

Offline doogs01

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:39:53 PM »
I'm trying to sell my Hi Ace van and I got this email yesterday.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:16:47 +0000
Subject: Re: Hi Ace
To: darce51@hotmail.com

Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply.

I replied and told him where to go. When I was looking for my Jayco Last year I got the same as the OP but the name was SGM Samantha McDavel RAAF.
2007 Rodeo Dual Cab 4w4. 2003 Jayco Eagle

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
The sad thing about these sods who make these adds is that for thse of us who do work offshore in the oil and gas industry can no longer send sellers emails on things for sale anymore. Typicaly, I only have the time to look on the net for things for sale when at work, in my time off that is.
I now must sweet talk missus to call someone about something she has no idea about.

That same add has appeared about 6 times now, different locations, 1 of was Sydney CBD, as if someone living there would have a Swan Parked out front!
Cheers
Dave
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Scam in Darwin - camper trailer for sale on gumtree
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
I have lots and lots of mates in Darwin. Most of them in the car game. Would you like me to get the vin looked at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
I feel sorry for genuine oil rig workers and defence force personel trying to sell cars and campers from remote locations!

Oneday the real Officer Sarah Newman will want to sell her car and everyone will tell her to @#%* off.

Offline Dianestarkis

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
 >Scam for trailer in darwin back. Email today to my husband
 Hi Micah,> > Thank you for your email. The total price included the delivery will> be $12.000. I've told you, at this moment I am in Darwin NT in a> military base, getting ready for TAS (I hope for the last time). I am> doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get> out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The delivery will take> 2 to 3 days depending on your location. Because it is a large> transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third> part like PayPal Express Checkout coz I already prearranged the whole> process with them, using their PayPal Express Checkout (bank-to-bank> wire transfer).> > The money will be sent to PayPal Express Checkout, before you will> receive the camper trailer. So, you will deposit the payment directly> into the PayPal Express Checkout bank account, either online or at> most banks and they will hold and secure your money during the entire> transaction. I repeat, they will hold and insure your money until> receipt of the camper trailer in good condition and will release the> funds to us only after you decide to keep the camper trailer and> register it, into your name. If by any reason (the camper trailer has> any hidden damages or is not like I describe it) you can reject the> deal,in this case PayPal Express Checkout will refund you totally.> > Let me know your details (full name, full address and home phone> number) so I can open a transaction case with PayPal Express Checkout> and declare you as buyer, they will contact you with more details, and> explain better the whole process.> You must know that PayPal Express Checkout will contact you without> any obligation to buy or to pay some fees.> > I am looking forward to hear from you.> Regards,> > SGT Jennifer Archiaco> Royal Australian Air Force> > PS: If need please find the swan details below.> > VIN 6AM000000A1M13123> Rego 513QRN> Rego Expiry on 08/03/2015> No finance over the camper trailer> > Also please find attached the copy of PPSR Certificate.> > The camper will be delivered with our RAAF trailer that have transport> insurance.> 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
standard issue for certain selling sites... theres numerous threads
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeckoJK

• Tent User
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:19:26 PM »
ask for their defence number!
Being a past member it will look like this

M8107861
or S164189
or R164189

Also ask them to send you a picture of their ID card

Simple

Deon - 2014 ModCon EcoMate Forward Fold with all the gear! Tugged by a 2012 Gecko JK Shorty with tons of mods! Youtube Channel - www.youtube.com/smadanoed

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
ask for their defence number!
Being a past member it will look like this

M8107861
or S164189
or R164189

Also ask them to send you a picture of their ID card

Simple

Defence numbers now start with '8' for all services.

we don't use regimental numbers anymore.
Cheers

Strvy

Offline bok1

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »
Ask for there pm keys number.iam at Robertson barracks.pm me any details you want and I can check it out.also we never deploy to tasmania for 9 months.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:49:36 PM by bok1 »

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »

I'm trying to sell my Hi Ace van and I got this email yesterday.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:16:47 +0000
Subject: Re: Hi Ace
To: darce51@hotmail.com

Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply.

I replied and told him where to go. When I was looking for my Jayco Last year I got the same as the OP but the name was SGM Samantha McDavel RAAF.

I've had this email x 2 and I similar from items on gumtree

Offline ozshaun

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 10:37:04 PM »
Hi All,

I've been following a number of scam adverts on eBay for various Jayco caravans and camper trailers.  They're pretty easy to spot because they're Classified Adverts with an offer price of about half the market price.  Also, they request that you do not reply via ebay messaging but rather using an email address in the description.

When you email the provided address (normally an MSN.com, or email.com address), you then get a reply from a different person.  The scammers aren't the brightest because they often reply to you for different adverts via the same email address of homekatty1955@gmail.com (Person's name is Katty).  The same Katty must also have two husbands because I've seen "her" refer to Anthony Melse and David Castell as her husbands, depending on which advert you respond to.

For reference purposes, the details that they provide are:
VIN:  6AM000000A1M13123
Rego: 513QRN  (used earlier in this thread)

Same as previous stories in this thread....Darwin Military etc.  Other addresses that they have used include Moranbah and Kurri Kurri.  They also claim to use an Amazon Escrow service in order for you to part with the money.  I suspect that the service is probably fake.  Previously, they also wanted me to deposit money into a St George's Bank / Bank Of Melbourne account with a specific reference number.

I have reported these fraudulent adverts to eBay but they take their time at pulling them down (if at all).

Hopefully, this prevents someone from being scammed until ebay get their act together!

Offline Mark120

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 11:23:17 PM »
Ask her where TAS is (or what does it stand for)

We advertised a $100 book shelf and had someone from the other side of the country wanting to buy it and willing to pay freight. It was just a plain pine bookcase.

They got a bit shirty after a few emails as I was concerned that the freight would cost more than the item. They then accused me of being "unfaithful" and I never heard from them again.
Prado 120 - Camprite TX6

Offline Shippo

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 04:22:21 PM »
The sad thing about these sods who make these adds is that for thse of us who do work offshore in the oil and gas industry can no longer send sellers emails on things for sale anymore. Typicaly, I only have the time to look on the net for things for sale when at work, in my time off that is.
I now must sweet talk missus to call someone about something she has no idea about.

That same add has appeared about 6 times now, different locations, 1 of was Sydney CBD, as if someone living there would have a Swan Parked out front!
Cheers
Dave

Ha ha..yep. I work offshore oil and gas as well and get the same dramas when either selling an item or enquiring about one. Nowadays I pause any ads I have for sale as the missus doesn't want to deal with it if Im not home!
Best one Ive seen for a scam was a gumtree ad selling a 1 year old outback flamingo for $9000, and the ad was written in pigeon english!
2004 V6 Toyota Prado. Coromal Magnum 440 XC Rally

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 05:54:03 PM »
I was lucky I guess.
Sold my MSA rooftop bag on gumtree to someone in Darwin.
Got text messages and a phone call from him and the money transferred into my bank account.
The package has been picked up this afternoon by TNT.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
I was lucky I guess.
Sold my MSA rooftop bag on gumtree to someone in Darwin.
Got text messages and a phone call from him and the money transferred into my bank account.
The package has been picked up this afternoon by TNT.

The one you need to be careful with this is they deposit a cheque into your account so as at a glance you see the deposit but it isn't in your available balance yet, then their cheque will bounce and your goods are gone.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
The one you need to be careful with this is they deposit a cheque into your account so as at a glance you see the deposit but it isn't in your available balance yet, then their cheque will bounce and your goods are gone.

Yep, wait for the chequered to clear
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/