Author Topic: darwin wet season  (Read 3196 times)

Offline kieran.hart

• Learning the Ropes
darwin wet season
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:16:24 PM »
Hi all

im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but im planning on heading upto Darwin in the next month to live. I was just wondering what its like in the wet season confort wise in a camper trailer. (forward fold up off the ground) I will only be in the camper until I find a house to stay in. I have been looking a fair bit but would rather make a choice when im there so I can have a look.
also for future trips is it easy to dry canvas or with the humidity would it stay damp?
thanks in advance

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: darwin wet season
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:22:53 PM »
I don’t know about Darwin, but I’m sure humidity is the same as elsewhere like farNQ and if it’s damp or left outside it will go black with mildew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: kieran.hart

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:09:45 PM »
Living in a camper, in the wet season, be the last thing I'd be thinking. Its getting hot, it getting humid. And when it start raining its going to flog down, living in canves is going to very hard. Then if you aren't acclimatize  to the temperature ts gonnnnnnnnaaaa be very hard...Aircon at night is a almost must have. Drying anything once the high humidity kicks in is near impossible...

My adviced would be look for cheap accommodation. As we are coming into the wet prices for place drop dramatically.

Joe
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline kieran.hart

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
thanks for the replies.
I had a feeling that would be the case. I also looked at short term share houses so that might have to be the go.
as for short or weekend trips do many people do that in camper trailers in the wet season? or is to to hard to dry everything and to uncomfortable?

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »
Most things worth camping at are closed from mid late November untill march at the earliest. When the wet kicks in it rains and rains alot. . Still stuff to do, but camping is very VERY low on the list (4 us anyway).
Fishing is the flavour for the wet.. but be very croc aware the wet is when there on the move.

Give us a pm when you arrive if ya need any help..
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
I've spent time in Darwin in the wet and for a southerner  its less than pleasant.

It is stinkin hot (well 33, but Darwin is either 33 with rain or 32 without) will flog down rain and the temp doesn't drop much at all. Then you try and sleep in a puddle of sweat in a poorly ventilated  canvas sauna while mozzies try and chew on you.

The Wet also means cyclones, they are unpredictable and even a Cat 1 is more than a match for a tent. If you don't have a solid house to stick yourself and gear in, then heading south to get away from it is one of your few options. Unfortunately when it rains a lot you can get stuck south of Katherine and it can be up to a week before you can get back up. Some employers aren't keen on you disappearing for a few days, especially when the cyclone warning you evacuated for comes to nothing.

So, yeah, I'd look for a house with an aircon in the bedroom as a minimum.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:38:34 PM by Hoyks »

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
You will find it hot and muggy. The storms are starting to appear along with the winds. Try and find a house ASAP.

Lived in the NT for the last 2 years. Just left Darwin today heading to Gunbalanya.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline kieran.hart

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »
thanks guys much appreciated.
It definitely helped im not going to stay in my camper now. The main reason im going up is because I love my fishing and there's a lot of work up there and its not cold  ;D  looks like I will just have to wait till the dry to do my camping  :D
I lived in Karratha and got used of the heat but like you have been saying its more the humidity that's makes its unpleasant so going from cold old Albany may be a shock to the system again aha

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
I don’t know about Darwin, but I’m sure humidity is the same as elsewhere like farNQ and if it’s damp or left outside it will go black with mildew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having lived in both the NT (Gove) and FNQ (Townsville), I can tell you Darwin is next level when it comes to humidity, particularly during the buildup. And when the rain does come, it flogs down for hours and sometimes days on end. Everything, including you, will grow mouldy pretty quickly. And whilst the cyclones are also a worry, you always have plenty of notice to take action and prepare for the worst (ie fill the generator with fuel and fridge with beer).

On a more positive note, between May and September, the weather is almost perfect. Warm, sunny and skimpy-clothed backpackers everywhere. :cup:

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »
We lived in Darwin for two years. Camping between October and March, no fkn way.

It's off peak up there as all the southerners fk off back down south and most parks are empty. I'd look at renting a cheap cabin or van with AC.

Just stay away from the Palmerston bus exchange. Not a safe place. The local wild life like to harass reflective people.

Offline DOT 187

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Kerian, if you do not have work lined up be careful as the economy up here is going down hill fast & finding work unless you are a tradesman is hard going.I have been up here for 28 years now & it is the worst its ever been.Theres a steady stream of blokes that come through my blast & paint yard looking for work with no luck.Darwin is cheaper during the wet but is still exspensive. Cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
Quote from: SEADOO
... like to harass reflective people.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline kieran.hart

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 05:25:50 PM »
Kerian, if you do not have work lined up be careful as the economy up here is going down hill fast & finding work unless you are a tradesman is hard going.I have been up here for 28 years now & it is the worst its ever been.Theres a steady stream of blokes that come through my blast & paint yard looking for work with no luck.Darwin is cheaper during the wet but is still exspensive. Cheers

thanks for that. yeah im a roof plumber and iv contacted a few people up there and there flat out so work will be fine. (I hope) I just want to go there for a change of scenery and the fishing. And im bloody over Albany its so cold all the time. Iv been up north a heap just never in wet season and used to live in Karratha in the summer. there were also a lot of people there similar to what seadoo said. will just have to figure out what places to steer clear of  ;D
thanks for all the info 

Offline Frawls

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
I lived in Darwin for four years, I agree with all of the above comments. There is no way in hell would I live under canvas during the wet, even a challenge in the dry. Darwin has two temperature settings hot and f$&@ing hotter. Great fishing but, although not during the wet, normally flooded. As they say you don't go to Darwin to work you go to Darwin to fish hey!!!!!!!!!
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍻🍻🍻🍻