Author Topic: Fraser Island and off the ground fire pits  (Read 6972 times)

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Fraser Island and off the ground fire pits
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
Hi
After some knowledge and advise
I am under the understanding that no open fires are allowed on Fraser Island next to the beach at the beach side camp area.
Ozpigs are ok, and I believe the 4wd supacentre version of an ozpig will be ok.
You also need to use heat beads or charcoal, no untreated timber and the fire pit must be off the ground.
So, I was supprise to see that Luke from Drifta used his snow peak pit with charcoal to cook while on the beach. (https://youtu.be/7rQTkj7Aqtc). Are these fire pits allowed? I do not want to buy one and then found out that I cannot use it while camping on Fraser.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Chappie

• Tent User
Re: Fraser Island and off the ground fire pits
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »
I think the rule for the combustible material is that it has to be brought in with you so timber is ok but you need to prove that you didn't collect it from the island.
The stove/oven ect has to be a certain height from the ground (I can't recall the measurement) and be contained ie no ash can fall out and no sparks escaping so it needs a spark arrestor in the chimney.
I read about some of the regulations from this post by Brisbane Puff who is also on here.
The rangers inspected his version and passed it.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=138659
Cheers
Iain

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:05:57 AM by Chappie »
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
Maybe ask Luke - "were you legal"..??
(You might find that his video was "more about the  m o n e y"...

Of course if he emails you back with a "no worries"  ....  I'd then be emailing him with a "great" - but please confirm that you (Luke) will be picking up the tab in the unfortunate event I cop a ranger fine; and of course in that event - you would provide me a full refund on my purchase ....

re: bird's post below...
In the link there is this..

Manufactured fuel does not include timber or wood.

Appliances that are not fully self-contained, such as braziers, are not permitted.

All appliances, materials and fuels (e.g. heat beads) must be removed from the national park on departure.

My Q
Are "heat beads" charcoal?...   no?
Is charcoal wood....   yes?

"me is confused"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:48:57 AM by BaseCamp »
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »

My Q
Are "heat beads" charcoal?...   no?
Is charcoal wood....   yes?

"me is confused"

They do contradict themselves a bit.

Are fires permitted?

No.
Campfires are prohibited on K'gari.

This fire prohibition was implemented to:

prevent burn injuries
    prevent escaped camp fires becoming wildfires
    reduce rubbish, debris and environmental scars left by camp fire sites
    reduce the risk of introduced pests and diseases being brought in with fire wood
    prevent impacts of firewood gathering upon local ecology.

The only exception to this prohibition is in the communal fire rings provided by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service at Dundubara main and Dundubara group camping areas, and Waddy Point camping areas (top and beachfront).

Campers wishing to use these fire rings must:

be aware that no firewood is provided at these sites
    bring clean firewood—not bush wood—such as milled timber off-cuts, and firelighters for ignition, as collecting wood or kindling from the national park is an offence.
    No fires permitted when QPWS-declared fire prohibitions or total fire bans are in place.

How can I cook without a fire?

Bring fuel or gas stoves for cooking.

A fully enclosed cooking or heating appliance, preferably using gas or fuel, can be used at all camping areas unless a total fire ban is in place.

The appliance must use only manufactured fuel.
    It must be used for cooking and/or heating only.
    It must be 20cm off the ground.
    Manufactured fuel does not include timber or wood.
    Appliances that are not fully self-contained, such as braziers, are not permitted.
    All appliances, materials and fuels (e.g. heat beads) must be removed from the national park on departure.

looking at the purple bits..
Wood might not be wood if it has gone through a sawmill and become timber..... but you can't have it anyway because its still wood ???

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »
The drifta set up with it’s grill on top technically would be fully enclosed I guess one could argue...so if you make out you are cooking on it and use a manufactured fuel such as sawdust logs and heat beads etc, then remove that ash from the island when you leave, technically I guess it falls within thier rules.
The wording of the old law when you looked up the actual Act of the law the ban was under, read that you could have a prescribed heating device, which pretty much used all the rules set out in Birds link.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »
Thanks all, especially the link to the not-ozpig ozpig and the legal comment that the law applied to.
It is clear Luke fire pit does not comply. I remember awhile back 4wd Action made a DVD in the Glass House Mountion NP and they coped a fine since it is illegal to sell a DVD that was made in a NP without a permit. Rules are rules, and no-one is above them, just asked Johnny Depp!
Anyway, will not buy the drifta fire pit, will look at a ozpig and see how big they are when packed up.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Greeny

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:18 AM »
Off topic, but last time we were there Dilli Village (the private campsite run by the uni) allowed open fires and provided firewood, that was the only time we broke out the camp ovens on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »
Just watched the vids, Dont know what sort of reaction he'd get from QPWS if they ever saw it .. But I'd expect Grey haired  Ranger  I am a Wannabe God  would be itching to puff his chest out a bit more and have a rant if he saw it ..
As for the Drifter bloke, the guy should call himself " Bags R us " ... The blokes got more bags than Woolies .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_HxRrTBbk
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »
Off topic, but last time we were there Dilli Village (the private campsite run by the uni) allowed open fires and provided firewood, that was the only time we broke out the camp ovens on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took a ute load of fresh cut "bush" wood over to Dilli 6 yrs ago. Sounds like it hasn't changed, which is good if you go in winter time, as it was 4 deg of a night when we were there..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »
Just watched the vids, Dont know what sort of reaction he'd get from QPWS if they ever saw it .. But I'd expect Grey haired  Ranger  I am a Wannabe God  would be itching to puff his chest out a bit more and have a rant if he saw it ..

It just need one spark to burn down halve of Fraser and we will all be banded from the Island.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
It just need one spark to burn down halve of Fraser and we will all be banded from the Island.
They do controlled burns every spring and there are maintained fire breaks. There is the odd big burn over there - the whole north end copped it a few years back. The parkies are doing better with that than they used to.

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
By the look of the weather map I doubt fires will be a problem for a while.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »
Back in the days when we could have fires at our camps on the beach at Fraser, there was usually always a fire burning on the island somewhere caused by clowns leaving thiers unattended. As much as I dislike not being able to have fires there, you no longer get dirty filthy feet the second you set foot on the sand at camp, it's amazing how quickly that changed when the ash from fires stopped being spread about. Still loved the days of stopping in at Dundaburra to collect firewood supplied by National Parks though, fire on the dune at camp looking over the water with a few collides to quench the thirst.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
If you want to use the camp oven then just camp at Waddy or Dundubura.  We always use the gas cookers when beach camping on Fraser.

However the 'no fires' rule has to be one of the least enforced, you always see a string of camp fires up the beach as soon as the sun goes down.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
If you want to use the camp oven then just camp at Waddy or Dundubura.  We always use the gas cookers when beach camping on Fraser.

However the 'no fires' rule has to be one of the least enforced, you always see a string of camp fires up the beach as soon as the sun goes down.
last time I was there as the sun was setting coming back from day trip to Sandy Cape, I passed a group with a fire going at thier beach camp, a further several hundred metres down the beach I passed a Rangers vehicle heading up the beach towards thier camp.....don't think I'd have wanted to be those campers.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »
We take our Ozpig to Fraser every year and camp on the beach. The ranger has told us that heat beads, charcoal brikettes and those compacted fake looking logs they sell at Bunnings in packs of 5 are all fine to use.
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/