Author Topic: Stealth 2000 Beavertail canoe  (Read 9023 times)

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
Stealth 2000 Beavertail canoe
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
 Stealth 2000 Beavertail canoe. I was wondering if anyone owns one of these, what are they like. Thinking of selling my tinnie to get one of these with a 2hp outboard.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: Stealth 2000 Beavertail canoe
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
Haven't seen one of them they look interesting.

I nearly bought a square transom canoe with a 3 or 4hp motor for under 2k a few years ago, it was being resold in the orbost hunting and fishing store. Regretted not buying it ever since.

Looked a bit like this.

Second image is a beaver tail

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:51:38 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
 I bought one 2 yrs ago very stable I'm 130kg and can stand on the
side of it and it doesn't tip. The only problem with the petrol motor is all the
weight is at the back so the nose will lift and the rear sink and they don't sit
that high out of the water. I run an electric motor on mine with the battery
up front to balance out the weight.
2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline V8ute

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »
We have a old town canoe with a 4 hp ya my 4stroke on the back, it's pretty awesome fun.
We also have a set of outriggers when we go full on fishing for a full day, places like Hervey Bay I skip point.  With just me & wifey we don't use them but with daughter in we put them on. Just gotta watch doin doeys ;D
Canoeing is great fun but canoeing with a motor is awesome!! With all the gear up the front and misses as we'll it will get up and skim on top of the water.
Here's a couple of pics, it's a Old town SS predator 150
 Cheers V8ute :cheers:
08 Cruiser ute, 10 Outback Eagle.
Loaded ready to roll

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
 :cheers:

That is one mean lookin rig!

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »
Here's a tip, if ur going to put a small outboard on a canoe or tinny, I'd be suggesting getting one with normal twist throttle control and not the throttle lever on the side of the outboard.
Reason why, is you may find yourself starting the outboard standing up and facing the outboard, if u have the lever throttle type the throttle may be accidently left at the high rev mark, u pull the starter, motor goes to full revs, u end up in the drink with ur canoe or tinny racing away from you......
Just a tip I got years ago when buying choosing between a little Yamaha 2hp and 3hp, the 2hp was lever type, the 3hp was traditional twist throttle, and a great little motor.......

And, no... I've never deliberately fallin out of a boat.  ;D
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Haven't seen one of them they look interesting.

I nearly bought a square transom canoe with a 3 or 4hp motor for under 2k a few years ago, it was being resold in the orbost hunting and fishing store. Regretted not buying it ever since.

Looked a bit like this.

Second ima

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »
I bought one 2 yrs ago very stable I'm 130kg and can stand on the
side of it and it doesn't tip. The only problem with the petrol motor is all the
weight is at the back so the nose will lift and the rear sink and they don't sit
that high out of the water. I run an electric motor on mine with the battery
up front to balance out the weight.

What do you use it for?

Offline bushbandit

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Oh To Be On The Wallaby
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
These look really good check out the video at the bottom of the link.Well priced and can add the motor mount for the Mini Kota.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEALTH-2000-Boat-Canoe-Kayak-2nd-seat-motor-mount-/170709488299?pt=AU_Hunting&hash=item27bf1412ab&_uhb=1
2013 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4
2015 Jayco Swift Outback

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
What do you use it for?
   Fishing and hunting.

2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Online D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »
Any tips on a canoe to accommodate myself and 4yo son?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »
I take it you would only be sticking to flat water [ie Eildon].
Last year I had a lend of a JACKSON DAYTRIPPER 12 ELITE and think it would fit the bill nicely.
a tad more stable than a canoe, lighter and more versatile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sy4ddFHrek

Online D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
That looks good and there is a Jackson dealer near home :cheers:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 12:47:46 PM »
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Saw one of these in BCF the other day and thought it was a great kayak for fishing etc with motor for trolling.

anyhow not sure if it suits your needs but here it is.

http://www.haswingmarine.com.au/Winix-Fishing-Kayak-with-Integrated-Electric-Trolling-Motor-Grey.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjejHEsO_Y
New outback swan has arrived let the good times roll!

Offline Lazybugger

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
Saw one of these in BCF the other day and thought it was a great kayak for fishing etc with motor for trolling.

anyhow not sure if it suits your needs but here it is.

http://www.haswingmarine.com.au/Winix-Fishing-Kayak-with-Integrated-Electric-Trolling-Motor-Grey.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjejHEsO_Y

These things are ticking timebombs. I have no idea why Bcf are selling these in coastal areas. There has already been one guy who on his maiden trip in townsville ended up getting swamped and having to swim back to shore. The haswing ended up on the shore the next day sparking a search and rescue effort because the guy didn't report the incident. The combination of a large area for water collect and heavy motor and battery didn't mix with a few waves over the side.

But just to be clear, offshore or bay waters where conditions can change suddenly with chop and /or swell are no place for kayaks rigged with motors. The kayak is an ancient design which works very well. It wasn't designed however with a geavy motor and even heavier battery.  A sit-on-top kayak without a motor can be reasonably easily rolled back upright if capsized, add a motor and battery and that equation changes considerably.

Over the last few years there have been multiple deaths with kayaks and canoes where an electric or petrol motor was involved. Both in fresh and salt water - yep fresh water lakes get dangerously choppy too.

Whether you have a motor or not you should make sure you know how to right your kayak if it rolls and also how to get back on.  If you are a little but unfit and take a few goes to get it right you will find it is actually a very exhausting process. I have been kayak fishing offshore for about 8 years and the number of guys who don't know how to self rescue is scary.

Sorry for the rant, yaks with motors is a pet hate of mine I guess. Try a paddle, you will be surprised how pleasant an experience it is and may even find your missus lets you go fishing more because you are keeping fit at the same time.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
These things are ticking timebombs. I have no idea why Bcf are selling these in coastal areas. There has already been one guy who on his maiden trip in townsville ended up getting swamped and having to swim back to shore. The haswing ended up on the shore the next day sparking a search and rescue effort because the guy didn't report the incident. The combination of a large area for water collect and heavy motor and battery didn't mix with a few waves over the side.

But just to be clear, offshore or bay waters where conditions can change suddenly with chop and /or swell are no place for kayaks rigged with motors. The kayak is an ancient design which works very well. It wasn't designed however with a geavy motor and even heavier battery.  A sit-on-top kayak without a motor can be reasonably easily rolled back upright if capsized, add a motor and battery and that equation changes considerably.

Over the last few years there have been multiple deaths with kayaks and canoes where an electric or petrol motor was involved. Both in fresh and salt water - yep fresh water lakes get dangerously choppy too.

Whether you have a motor or not you should make sure you know how to right your kayak if it rolls and also how to get back on.  If you are a little but unfit and take a few goes to get it right you will find it is actually a very exhausting process. I have been kayak fishing offshore for about 8 years and the number of guys who don't know how to self rescue is scary.

Sorry for the rant, yaks with motors is a pet hate of mine I guess. Try a paddle, you will be surprised how pleasant an experience it is and may even find your missus lets you go fishing more because you are keeping fit at the same time.

x2 get a good paddle or peddle yak and good safety gear
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
   Fishing and hunting.

Still think its a good thing?