Author Topic: How many Quitters left?  (Read 6088 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
How many Quitters left?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »
A few of us took a public pledge on this board about 8 mths ago to give up the Smokes, how many are still smoke free?
From today, I'm 6 (calender) mths smoke free  8)

I went the champix route, & got about 1/2 way through the course.
Even though the Dr gave me drugs to combat it, I kept feeling nauseous. That could also have been just too much for my body, because I'm also on other pills that I take at night so I'm (hopefully) asleep before their nauseous affect kicks in  ::)

I still feel like a smoke every other day, but it's getting easier to ignore. My breathing has improved outta sight - last breath test, the  :police:  told me to back off, nearly blowing the machine up. Most likely BS from him, but any test previous had me flat out trying to go the distance  ;D
Had money to buy stuff that previously I would've felt guilty buying  :)

So if you're still smoke free  8)  :cheers:

If you fumbled, don't sweat it, I've lost count of the amount of attempts I've done - this is my longest. Jump back on that bike, & have another go  ;)
Bob and Robyn

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
Re: How many Quitters left?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:55 AM »
Good on ya mate for going the distance,,, i done it over ten years ago,, same thing, used the tablets,,, had wierd dreams as a side efect.. but not to bad,.
Even to this day i still get the odd "I feel like a smoke". But then i remember i dont smoke.. ;D.
Think if i had not quit when i did, i would be a lot closer to my maker by now.
The price of smokes now scares the hell outa me, how can anyone aford them now,,
and for all those that say its to hard to quit,,,,
I smoked 100 a day when i quit..!!

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline MADCOW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Rescue Fish from Water and Beer from Bottles
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »
Been about 15 years for me now. Honestly I put on a little weight but feel much better and less poorer
03 4.2 TDI Gu, Mountain Trail Extended Escape Camper,
 June 2018 Terrain Tamer Calendar

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
Stookie quit 6.5months ago using Champix. He only took half the course as he was angry on them. So proud of him!! I quit 3 years ago as well  :angel:

Lil :)
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
How many Quitters left?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
I'm still off them and will never turn back :)
I admit I still feel like a smoke at times and some long term quitters have told me that feeling may stay for years, I am ok with it because I get great personal satisfaction from knowing I have beat the habit.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline pjpatrol

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
Ill be hitting 10 years soon, best I did before that was 2 years. Never stop trying, ive used gum, patches, tablets, the last time the Dr told me to double up on the first lot of patches for a week, that helped. When I smell someone smoking its quite sickening to me now, so I just move.

Hows the camper going Rob?
"Flat Out"

Offline stepheng

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Good on you, I think I originally indicated I would be quitting. I did for a while but then we went on a four month trip and I needed something to do at night (talking to the missus every night can only be interesting for a while - she started again as well).

Every time I give up (been about four times, sometimes up to about 12 months) I tend to swap brands. I was near Kings Canyon and decided to buy a packet and they were $26 for Winfeild blue or Red...WTF??? I bought a packet of rollies instead.

I am still rolling my own but will give it another crack soon.

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
not had one for about 18 months, been nearly a year for my better 1/2

still love the smell of a burning smoke, but an ashtray makes me feel sick - still feel like having one every now and then, but my will power is stronger than the urge even with the god awful 12 months we have just endured

I went cold turkey, the wife used hypnotherapy

full points to anyone that has quit the habit, and to those that haven't...........best of luck for your next attempt
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Dreama

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
6 months to the day this Sunday with the help of Champix.
Goddamn awful nightmares from that stuff, so only took them in the morning, effectively doubled the period of time taking them, seemed to help.
Giving up is the reason I have the CT, that was THE DEAL and shall remain so from here on in, so when I get "the urge" i either go and look at the trailer or spend time here on My Swag. Do what ever it takes, but still love the smell.
This is my 5th time trying but it is also the longest period of time and never set myself a target, cant believe the money that has been saved to a very special account, all to be used on camping things without permission from SWMBO.
 :cheers:
It is in my blood to modify

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »
5 weeks on champix but going just great - quit once before for 9 months. The most importantn lesson I learnt after the first kick of the habit never ever even take another puff.. thats what got me back onto them.. "i'll just buy a packet for this evening' LOL Back to square one.

This time determined to see it through.

Tim
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Hefty

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
I'm not a smoker but I have ultimate respect for those who were and have quit.
My old man smoked for years, then quit around the time my sister (their first child) was born and was off them for 25 years! Then he started again because his close friends at work all smoked. I remember being mad at him for it at the time ( I was in late high school).
But, again, ultimate respect coz he woke up to himself and quit again and has never looked back.

Good on you blokes who have kicked the habit and for those who are struggling, don't give up  :cheers:

Cheers!
Jono.
"Roads?!...Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Offline XJeepers

• Sleeping Bag User
How many Quitters left?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
Quit smoking 3 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. Used champix to help and also had some terrible dreams as well as cold sweats at night (which may have been withdrawal symptoms). I was so determined this time I didn't care about the symptoms and side effects and just kept going and completed the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
Crasged out last time but on the band wagon again now.  Have been trying patches but am going to try e cigaette.

eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
Used to be a 3packaday kind of bloke . Smoked out side . Had to get up during the night to top up the levels . What a drag . Put the down havent had 1 since I think that was 12 years ago or more .
Start a weekly cost bin , throw your smokes money into a tin for 30 days then count it & buy yourself a reward for the new you  :angel:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
hang in there fellas
remember it's much more fun pulling daisies up in the sun than pushing them up from the other side
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
Used to be a 3packaday kind of bloke . Smoked out side . Had to get up during the night to top up the levels . What a drag . Put the down havent had 1 since I think that was 12 years ago or more .
Start a weekly cost bin , throw your smokes money into a tin for 30 days then count it & buy yourself a reward for the new you  :angel:

speewa, if you gave up the grog and put your savings in a tin you could retire in a month  :cheers:

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
Good on ya edsnav...never say never  :laugh:

Hows the camper going Rob?

Hey there Paul :)
Camper's going great mate  :cheers:   My back & knees still thank you  :cup:
Been out quite a few times, & even spent 2 wks on the road out central west (which I still haven't written a report about  ::)  )  So much easier for this buggered body :)
Currently saving my exsmoke money for a few things like relocating spare & a chassis respray...for starters  ;D
Bob and Robyn

Offline Hews

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »
I gave up about 48hrs ago, so far so good. I hate the thought of patches or the tablets so am trying one of these:
http://social-lites.com.au/

For me it helps "the habbit" of smoking, if I have a craving I can still puff on something.

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
My dad was a 60 a day smoker. B&H Special Filter (16's)
I remember visiting him in his office after school and the ashtray was overflowing while he lit the next cigarette off the one he just finished. Inside the house, if there wasn't an ashtray the palm of his hand would do the trick (to catch the ashes not put out the cig). The back toilet was his haven for reading his war mags and all the while puffing away. One day his doctor said 'give up or die'. So he did, cold turkey, overnight. That was 23 years ago. Didn't stop him from spending hours on the toilet reading though :p

Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D

Offline randan

• Tent User
  • Jeep ......... No contest!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
I read it as Quilters........ ::) ::) and thought s##t how many of them are there amongst us ??? ??? I'm not that bored with life yet!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways ~
Beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO - What a Ride!

Offline pjpatrol

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Good on ya edsnav...never say never  :laugh:

Hey there Paul :)
Camper's going great mate  :cheers:   My back & knees still thank you  :cup:
Been out quite a few times, & even spent 2 wks on the road out central west (which I still haven't written a report about  ::)  )  So much easier for this buggered body :)
Currently saving my exsmoke money for a few things like relocating spare & a chassis respray...for starters  ;D

Good to hear the campers finally getting used. Good luck with the smokes, it will eventually get easier, especially when you see the dollars being applied to your camper.

Paul
"Flat Out"

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »
well done i wish a could be as regiment as you but me its  with food

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
Id like to say well done to you all  :cheers:, ive never smoked a day, but i'm the eldest son in my family who all, up until recently smoked.

My father who is 73 years of age gave up about 18 months ago, a pretty tuff task for someone who has smoked since he was 12.

So after seeing how tuff he did it, u lot have my admiration and respect.

Again good on ya's, and keep up the good work.

Cheers Swanny.  :cheers:

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »
A few of us took a public pledge on this board about 8 mths ago to give up the Smokes, how many are still smoke free?
From today, I'm 6 (calender) mths smoke free  8)

Mr Mac who i think it was that started that thread is still off the duries as far as i know, i didn't see him smoking when i was over his place last (a few weeks back), and i'm pretty sure he has stayed away from them since he gave up.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t