Author Topic: What is the Toilet etiquette in the Desert ??  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
What is the Toilet etiquette in the Desert ??
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:55:10 AM »
We have done lots of remote camping over the years like Cape York as never had a problem as if someone needed to do a number 2, you stop on the side of the track and go into the privacy of the bush with your spade and dig a hole.

We are thinking of doing the Simpson Desert next year and the lack of trees for privacy plus reading they don’t want you driving off the track to find somewhere private got me thinking. If the trip comes off we would be going June/July School Holidays so it’s going to be very busy?

What do you do??

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: What is the Toilet etiquette in the Desert ??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
Training for all 4x4 drivers. “How to Crap in outback-Australia".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1uE6a_r7Q4
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
There's usually a bit of tree cover in the clay pans between the dunes, where I understand it is okay to camp.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
Walk 50 yards from any campable area and you’ll find all the answers you need if you get my drift. It is pretty easy digging but people still don’t.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »
Plenty of low shrubs for privacy plus smaller dunes.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 07:55:35 AM »
Desert isn't just sand.  As said there is enough scrub.
Take a box of matches, dig a hole, do your business and drop a match in to burn the paper so it doesnt spend the next few years as tinsel if it does get exposed.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
Thanks everyone as appreciate your feedback as the Wife & Daughter will be pleased.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 08:39:14 AM »
The girls might appreciate it if you take bomb aimer minus the plastic bag.
Keith

200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »
The girls might appreciate it if you take bomb aimer minus the plastic bag.
Keith

Not only the girls, my knees don't like squatting anymore.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
We have been using a similar designed Oztrail Toilet seat for years and one of the best camping products I’ve bought due to be being Back and Knee friendly.   

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »
And if you happen to go for a cr@p on a pitch black night, take some earplugs with you. It stops you spinning around at ever noise you hear in the nearby scrub, avoiding awkward consequences.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 09:08:38 PM »
Okay. It's Friday night, my wife has gone out, grasping  two bottles of wine to her bosom and carrying a concoction of baked couss-couss (if that's how you spell it) and over-browned vegetables for "Book Club" with the girls. I drove her off to the secret girls rendevous and  had to circle back because she forgot to take the book.  'Nuff said.

Anyhow I have just had three glasses of wine while watching a recorded session of The Drum and am now prepared to speak frankly. Here is the naked truth:

If you are a bloke, sit on a bomb aimer and accidentally pee a bit, it will go straight into your pants. And possibly into your boots as well. If you are sufficiently endowed to the point that your three piece suite always points to the ground, then please ignore this post.

But for the rest of us using a bomb aimer, you have to take precautions.

1. Take your pants off and hang them on a tree.
2. Take the aforesaid boots off and place under said tree.
3. Do your best to pass a brownish facsimile of a Council parking inspector and perform the requisite cleanup.
4. Realise that the hole you dug isn't big enough for the brown Council parking inspector. So dig another hole beside it and transfer said parking inspector across to the deeper hole.
5. Light the match to burn the bum fodder and realise that the new hole is a bit too close to the tree.
6. Try to retrieve pants from said burning tree.
7. Manage to rescue boots only and return to camp in shame behind a 20 acre fire.
8. Suggest to family that the dingos/ sand flies/mossies/crocodiles/tourists have got a bit much and it's time to strike camp. Drive off quickly, always hoping  that the family does not notice that you are wearing no pants.

That, gentlemen and ladies, is why I am building a  camper with a dunny in it.

Keith

The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03, Spada

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 12:23:25 AM »
And if you happen to go for a cr@p on a pitch black night, take some earplugs with you. It stops you spinning around at ever noise you hear in the nearby scrub, avoiding awkward consequences.

I would have to find bigger sticks/rocks to throw into nearby bushes then to get the same effect.  ;D
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline mike.c

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 07:22:14 AM »
That, gentlemen and ladies, is why I am building a  camper with a dunny in it.

Amen to that. The days of the traveled routes in the bush being so isolated that crapping beside the road is acceptable are long gone. Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:25:01 AM by mike.c »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
Okay. It's Friday night, my wife has gone out, grasping  two bottles of wine to her bosom and carrying a concoction of baked couss-couss (if that's how you spell it) and over-browned vegetables for "Book Club" with the girls. I drove her off to the secret girls rendevous and  had to circle back because she forgot to take the book.  'Nuff said.

Anyhow I have just had three glasses of wine while watching a recorded session of The Drum and am now prepared to speak frankly. Here is the naked truth:

1. Take your pants off and hang them on a tree.
2. Take the aforesaid boots off and place under said tree.

Keith

Only a small point, but fairly important.....Don't ever try and take your pants off before your boots !! Lol
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra