Author Topic: Dumb question re poptops  (Read 2240 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Dumb question re poptops
« on: October 21, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »
I am building a little pop top caravan in the garage and the low ceiling height means it has to be a pop top. Never having towed one before can I ask whether anyone who has towed both types can tell me whether pop tops get better fuel consumption and whether they are more stable in cross winds.
Common sense says they are. But is that really the case?
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline mumbls

• Tent User
Re: Dumb question re poptops
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 03:14:48 PM »
Fuel should/would be better but as for stability? A lot would come down to setup. I tow a 21", 3.4T caravan (see profile pic) and it sits like a rock on the road. I've also seen pop-tops wandering all over the place. My weights are soeted, my car is well set and i like to think i pay attention to the conditions and drive to them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:17:06 PM by mumbls »
There's room for all gods creatures - right next to the potatoes.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »
KeithB   l find it interesting that you ask the  ??? now after you have started the project in your shed/garage  .
Show us your plans /progress thus far to give all a better idea of which direction you are headed  .
                                         :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:00:47 PM »
I am building a little pop top caravan in the garage and the low ceiling height means it has to be a pop top. Never having towed one before can I ask whether anyone who has towed both types can tell me whether pop tops get better fuel consumption and whether they are more stable in cross winds.
Common sense says they are. But is that really the case?
Keith

Everything else being equal that will be the case, I don't know that too many people would have experience towing a poptop and a caravan with everything else (suspension weight etc) being equal.

KeithB   l find it interesting that you ask the  ??? now after you have started the project in your shed/garage  .
Show us your plans /progress thus far to give all a better idea of which direction you are headed  .

Can't tell if you are serious or not when his build thread is has been going for 5.5yrs. :-\

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »

Speedwa, I was curious that's all.  I have towed caravans before but never a pop top. My build is governed by the dimensions of my garage and is well advanced, which it should be since the build has been going forever.  You can see it at:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=27176.0

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
Keith  To whom is this Speedwa  you refer to      ??? Just asking  :cheers:

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
Sorry Speewa 158. I've done it again. This is about the third time I've done this - thanked or answered the wrong person.
Please accept my apologies. And thanks for your comments.
Keith

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
Keith  There is no problem here  , believe it or not l have been called fAR  Far worse & l have been unable to do as requested  .                            :cup:                :cheers: