Author Topic: Philip Hughes inquest, nothing good is going to come from it?  (Read 5659 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Philip Hughes inquest, nothing good is going to come from it?
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
I can't see anything good coming from raking this crap up? No sensible minded person would think Bollinger meant anything by his sledge?

Phillip Hughes inquest: former team mate says Doug Bollinger regretted alleged 'kill' sledge

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/phillip-hughes-inquest-coroner-told-not-to-make-sledging-finding-20161012-gs0byi.html
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Philip Hughes inquest, nothing good is going to come from it?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »
I think it was his parants looking for closure but i totaly agree.
Even if he made the aledged coment i doubt it was actualy literal and it definatly will achieve nothing at this stage in the game

Offline Discoduck

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »
Agreed, another stupid waste of time thinking a bowler, any bowler, is literally trying to kill a batsman. Of course it was a tragic event, but this suggestion is ridiculous and unfair on the bowler.
On a slightly different point I have felt for many years that there is far too much sledging going on and I reckon it brings down the game and shows the sledgers as being nothing better than low-life pricks.
Nissan Patrol GU 4.2TD
Trakmaster Nullarbor, Air suspension

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 08:59:57 PM »
It's just a tragic accident, I wish they'd let people move on from this ordeal

Offline Bigpickle

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 10:14:31 PM »
Who gives a rat's ar$e what Bollinger said. He never bowled the fatal ball.

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:29:02 PM »
Who gives a rat's ar$e what Bollinger said. He never bowled the fatal ball.

Treating to kill someone is never right and should never be accepted.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 05:56:24 AM »
Treating to kill someone is never right and should never be accepted.

I assume you've never been on a cricket field before...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:00:16 AM »
Or ever stepped on any competitive field in their life....

He says he did not say it. But on a cricket field, if that ever was said and you for a moment imagine there was any deadly intent, you are an idiot.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 08:48:18 AM »
Went to a coronial enquiry back in the 80s with the RFS in relation to the deaths of fire fighters..

From what I remember they are nothing more than finding someone who answers a the same question 150 times, then on the 151st time they say something different and your ****ed. ALl they are is a session determined to find someone to blame.

I remember Paul who was on the stand the few days we went to support them, breaking down with the pressure of the questioning more than once...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Kiwijohn

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »

Sport is not an excuse to be able to treating to kill someone.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »
There is a big difference between saying, meaning it and doing it. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: Dave_aj

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 05:38:02 AM »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:04 AM »
Quote from: D4D
or anywhere outside his house... school... work... sport... traffic.. the racetrack...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »

I think the word you are struggling to type is 'threaten', not treating.  ???

It's only reasonable to call it a threat if both the person saying it, and the person it's addressed to take it as a serious, literal statement.
To describe sledging or any other non-serious "I'm going to kill you" comment as a threat is absurd. If we always took those sorts of comments seriously, half the population of the world would be in jail.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:12:33 AM by Merts »
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »
I think the word you are struggling to type is 'threaten', not treating.  ???

It's only reasonable to call it a threat if both the person saying it, and the person it's addressed to take it as a serious, literal statement.
To describe sledging or any other non-serious "I'm going to kill you" comment as a threat is absurd. If we always took those sorts of comments seriously, half the population of the world would be in jail.

or dead ;D
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
I'm struggling to understand what this inquest is trying to achieve...it almost seems as though the angle the barrister is going for with his line of questioning, is to help with some sort of future family damages lawsuit. I hope this isn't the case and have no idea if such a lawsuit is even possible, but why would they be making such a big deal about normal cricket behaviour such as sledging and bowling short at him? What happened was a tragic accident that could happen to anyone when you have guys throwing cricket balls down at you at high speed...nothing more then that.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »
Theres even websites dedicated to it

http://top20cricketsledges.blogspot.com.au/

20. Malcolm Marshall & David Boon.
Malcolm Marshall was bowling to David Boon, who was having a bit of trouble against the fast bowler and had played and missed a few times. Marshall : "Now David, are you going to get out or am I going to have to come round the wicket and kill you?".

19. Merv Hughes & Graham Gooch.
Merv Hughes was all over Gooch in one test and proceeded to say: "Would you like me to bowl a piano and see if you can play that".

18. Rod Marsh & Ian Botham.
In an Ashes match Botham arrived at the wicket to a bit of cheek from the Aussie keeper. Marsh : "So how's your wife and my kid's?". Botham: "Wife's fine. Kid's are retarded".

17. Robin Smith & Merv Hughes.
In the 1989 Ashes series Big Merv was giving Smith a few problems. After playing and missing a Merv delivery, Big Merv snapped: "You can't ****ing bat". Next ball Smith proceeded to belt Hughes to the fence for four runs and replied: "Hey Merv! We make a good pair. I can't ****ing bat and you can't ****ing bowl!".

16. Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad.
During a test between Pakistan and Australia in 1991 Miandad tried to sledge Merv: "Merv you are a big, fat bus conductor". Only a few balls later Merv dismissed Miandad, ran past him and shouted: "Tickets please!".

15. Ian Healy & Arjuna Ranatunga.
The Australians were getting frustrated while trying to get the wicket of the portly Arjuna Ranatunga of Sri Lanka. Various tactics were tried and failed until Healy came up with a winner: "Put a Mars Bar on a good length and that should do it!".

14. Herschelle Gibbs & Steve Waugh.
In the 1999 World Cup Australia needed to beat South Africa to keep their tournament hopes alive. Steve Waugh was on 56* and leading Aus to victory when he gifted Gibbs a simple catch. Gibbs went to celebrate the catch but instead dropped it, leaving Waugh to retort: "You've just dropped the World Cup". He was right too, Aussie went on to win the game and the tournament, knocking out South Africa in the process.

13. Merv Hughes & Viv Richards.
During a test match in Jamaica, Hughes continued to stare at Richards after each delivery. He never spoke a word but sure enough after every delivery there was a stare. Viv Richards: "Don't you be staring at me, man. This is my island, my culture. And in my culture we just bowl". Hughes replied with a ripper : "In my culture we just say **** off".

12. Mark Waugh & Adam Parore.
Waugh: "I remember you from a couple of years ago. You were Shit then and you're ****en useless now!". To which Parore replied: "Yeah that's me. And I remember you were dating that old, ugly slut. I see you've married her now. You dumb ****".

11. Merv Hughes & Robin Smith.
Merv was bowling a few crackers that Smith couldn't even get an edge to. Merv: "If you turn the bat over you'll get the instructions mate".

And the Top 10...

10. Jamie Siddons & Steve Waugh.
In a Sheffield Shield match Steve Waugh was taking his time getting ready to face his first ball. Taking guard, scratching out his mark, looking at the field settings. Jamie Siddons decided enough was enough and remarked: "For ****'s sake, mate, it's not a ****en test match!". To which Waugh replied: "Of course it's not... You're here".

9. Ian Healy & Arjuna Ranatunga.
During a One-dayer between Australia and Sri Lanka Ranatunga decided he needed a runner. The stump microphone then picked up the following sledge from Healy: "You don't get a runner for being an overweight, fat ****".

8. Glenn McGrath & Ramnaresh Sarwan.
Surprised this didn't rank higher. Shortly after McGrath's wife had been diagnosed with breast cancer, the Australians were playing a test match against the West Indies. McGrath: "What does Brian Lara's dick taste like?". Sarwan: "Why don't you ask your wife?". McGrath then lost the plot: "If you ever mention my wife again, I'll ****en rip your ****en throat out".

7. Fred Trueman.
An Australian batsman was walking onto the field, opened the gate and before he could shut it, Trueman remarked: "Don't bother shutting it, son, you won't be there long enough".

6. Ravi Shastri & Mike Whitney.
Mike Whitney was on the field as a sub fielder while Shastri was batting. Shastri hits the ball to Whitney and contemplates a single. Whitney throws the ball in and says: "Stay in your crease or I'll break your ****en head". Shastri replies: "If you could bowl as well as you talk you wouldn't be the ****en 12th man!".

5. Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne.
Cullinan was well known as being a bit of a bunny to Warne's bowling. The 2 hadn't played each other in some time so when Cullinan walked out to bat, Warne couldn't resist heckling him: "I've been waiting two years for another chance at you". Cullinan got him back with a ripper: "Looks like you spent it eating..."

4. Sunil Gavaskar & Viv Richards.
In one test between the West Indians and the Indians Sunil Gavaskar decided to drop down to no.4 from his usual opening position. Malcolm Marshall then proceeded to dismiss Gaekwad and Vengsarkar for no score. When Gavaskar came out to bat Richards said: "Man it don't matter where you come in, the score is still zero!"

3. Fred Trueman & Raman Subba Row.
Fred Trueman was bowling and got an edge from the batsman which went between Row's legs, who was fielding at slip. At the end of the over, Row runs over to Trueman and says: "Sorry Fred, I should've kept my legs closed". Trueman: "So should your mother".

2. Mark Waugh & James Ormond.
James Ormond came out to bat in a match with Australia. Mark Waugh, at slip, let rip: "What are you doing out here? You're too Shit to play for England!" Ormond replied: "Maybe so, but at least I'm the best player in my family".

Drumroll please! The number 1 cricket sledge of all time as voted by you, is:

1. Viv Richards & Greg Thomas.
In a county match in England, Thomas was bowling to Richards and getting a few to whizz past the bat. After Richards played and missed another one, Thomas said: "It's red, it's round. Now ****en hit it!". This obviously angered Richards who proceeded to hit the next ball out of the ground. Richards: "You know what it looks like now go and get it."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:39:46 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 07:36:42 PM »
Front page today's Australian -- they reported that the maximum number of bouncers permitted per over is 2..... 

The article said something like (I recall) Hughes received 20 bouncers in a row; (quoting - "in a stratagy to deliberately slow the run rate down") - before receiving the bouncer that killed him....   

It also mentioned something about most of the incoming 'bouncers' not technically being "bouncers" - because whilst they were bouncers in all other aspects -  (quoting) "they were below shoulder height"...

I know almost nothing about cricket. ....  never played it, etc....   However just seeking to include what The Australian reported today in this thread .....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
Front page today's Australian -- they reported that the maximum number of bouncers permitted per over is 2..... 

The article said something like (I recall) Hughes received 20 bouncers in a row; (quoting - "in a stratagy to deliberately slow the run rate down") - before receiving the bouncer that killed him....   

It also mentioned something about most of the incoming 'bouncers' not technically being "bouncers" - because whilst they were bouncers in all other aspects -  (quoting) "they were below shoulder height"...

I know almost nothing about cricket. ....  never played it, etc....   However just seeking to include what The Australian reported today in this thread .....

A better term would be short pitched ball. Any ball that is rising chest height can be classified as short pitched or a 'bouncer' and is difficult to play. Getting a few of these in a row is a way of unsettling or 'softening' up a batsman. It usually results in the batsman getting fed up and trying to hit the next ball over the fence, which typically causes a false shot and hence losing his wicket. It has been used in cricket since the infamous 'Bodyline' series 1932-33.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:44:03 PM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
In this inquest there is no laying blame, in short, the Coroner’s role is to find out what happened, not to point the finger or lay blame, although the media would like to do that, so they can sell more news time. The coroner is all about finding out why somebody has died and if it can be prevented in the future. There will be recommendations coming out of this inquest, whether its protective equipment or different laws of the game.  Civil suit against Cricket Australia, who knows. Was there gross negligence by Cricket Australia??? Sledging happens everywhere on all sporting fields, over heard on TV mics every day of the week. There is a big difference between saying something and actually being in a position to carrying it out. The findings will be interesting, but it was a tragic accident.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/