Author Topic: Car dealers annoy me.  (Read 12980 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Car dealers annoy me.
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
I am so over most of the car dealers and buying a car. I went into one today to finally do the deal and alls okay till we get to the trade. They say they will only grantee the price till the 15th Jan (delivery is expected March) okay pretty short validity , others have said 6 weeks validity etc and I can live with that BUT here's the catch, if they revalue the trade before settlement,  they don't want me to have the right to veto the contract. Yeah like Iam going to sign that contract and trust a car dealer to not screw me over. I don't even reckon that would stand up to a test but I am not interested in testing it. I am just going to sell the Pajero first and hire a car till a 200 turns up. That way I don't have to waste anymore time with tossers and can just do a deal over the phone.

Rant over 

Have a merry Xmas all.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

KingBilly

Re: Car dealers annoy me.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
Hey Jim, don't sign that contract.  When we bought our last car, our old one was just about out of rego and it was pretty old so wasn't going to be put on their used car lot.  Asked the dealer what he wanted to do and he said drive it until a day or so before the rego expires and bring it in.  We will give you a loan car.  As the new car was about 8 weeks away, I thought that's a good offer.  Took the old one in as instructed and we were given a brand new top of the line sedan to drive until our new car arrived at the showroom.  Wow, talk about blown away with their service.  Ended up our new car got delayed on the water or seomthing so we had the dealer's loan car for 9 weeks.  All they asked was we only drove around town and didn't do any big k's.  Hope it all works out for you.

Happy Christmas
KB

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »
Yes, unfortunately the bad ones ruin it for the good ones...

Offline matt150

• Tent User
  • Family man, 3 kids and wifey...
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
Hi Jim.

Give Chatswood Toyota a go. I have purchased a lot of work vehicles thru them and my own new Prado thru them. Ask for Helen in sales and tell her Matthew from Muswellbrook recommended her. She will do a solid, fair deal and not bugger you around. PM me if you want her mobile number.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:55:21 PM by matt150 »
Cheers,

Matt

[Current ride] - 2012 150 Series Prado GXL TD Manual

[Camper] - 2008 Lifestyle 360i

Offline matt150

• Tent User
  • Family man, 3 kids and wifey...
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Double post.. Oops
Cheers,

Matt

[Current ride] - 2012 150 Series Prado GXL TD Manual

[Camper] - 2008 Lifestyle 360i

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:56:36 PM »
Hi Jim.

Give Chatswood Toyota a go. I have purchased a lot of work vehicles thru them and my own new Prado try them. Ask for Helen in sales and tell her Matthew from Muswellbrook recommended her. She will do a solid, fair deal and not bugger you around. PM me if you want her mobile number.

Thanks Matt

Yeah I will, going away Friday buts it's pretty simple what I want so the first to get there's going to get it now. The  Paj will go on carsales after Jan 7th (back from Bermagui) and I will sell it privately.

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
I love playing with car salesman almost as much as real estate agents but that's a story for another day. Back in September I was looking at a fully loaded demo Merc C250 CD1, took it for a test drive and wanted it. I've bought a few German marques before so I was expecting a deal. Get back from the test drive and start the sales dance and the dude basically said to me 'we're Mercedes, we don't need to discount' so I said see ya. I get a call from the dude early December and he tells me I can have the car for $10,000 discount, I told him where he could park his Merc.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »
so what happens if you agree on a price, do the deal, sign the paperwork, then someone runs a key down the side of your car.

is there fine print to say they can get out of it? I've never traded a car in.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
They can pretty much do anything even though you've signed a contract. The usual scam is to claim the new car went up in price so they have to pass the increase on.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
I can accept a change in value brought upon by many factors. What I can't is they want to be able to change/alter the contract but don't want us to have a right of cancelling if the contract is changed, it's wrong.

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
Pretty sure you can, you'll just lose your deposit...

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline jeb1900

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »
What you're saying about selling your pajero before buying your 200 is the best idea.  It's always best to buy cars clean when you're able too IMO.  That way you're just focused on getting the cheapest price of your new car.  Rather than, trying to both get the cheapest price on your car as well as the best price for your trade in.  It's difficult to maintain focus on both.   You should end up with a better deal I think.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »
Do car dealers prefer trade ins over cash?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »
Do car dealers prefer trade ins over cash?

If they can stooge you with the trade and make good money on that too.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 11:48:35 PM »
Pretty sure you can, you'll just lose your deposit...

That's not to bad then but I thought they could make you go through with the contract?

Jim

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 11:50:58 PM »
That's not to bad then but I thought they could make you go through with the contract?
its all way too hard I reckon..  like insurance fine print..

it should be just straight up out in the open.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
Whilst I would have to say that not all car dealers are honest and upfront not all buyers are either. 10 odd years ago I was working for a dealership and it would amaze you the complete b.s. I would get told by customers who after you had sold them the car and offered them a drive would walk down to the next dealership and shop you for $10.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 04:30:15 AM »
but what came first, the chicken or the egg.

I know a bloke who would be the worlds worst at bouncing prices from dealer to dealer until he is sure, he's got the best ever deal.

I've never met too many car salesmen that didn't p!ss me off though either.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Marschy

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »
My wife works for a large dealership as a new car salesman (company fleet sales, not to the general public 89% of the time). She reckons the US marketing guru who coined the phrase "The customer is always right" should be drawn and quartered.

Once you sign the contract for the purchase of the new vehicle, that price does not change.

The vast majority of new cars sold in Australia are built overseas. With long lead times on deliveries with pretty much any manufacturer nowadays, even domestic cars, if you want that special paint job, or factory fitted GPS and they haven't got one on the showroom floor, your going to have to wait months for it to be built in an overseas or even local factory that has to schedule production based on world wide demand and consumption.

If a trade-in is offered, it should be good for 30 days, but this varies from dealership to dealership. The reason being that most valuations for second hand vehicles are based on mileage, condition etc etc.

If the lead time on delivery of your new vehicle is 3 months, a person who uses their current car for, lets say 'deliveries' could clock up 20,000 kilometers in 3 months, considerably changing the value of the car at the time the offer for a trade was made.

But your right when you say car sales people are dogdy, my wife is. She reneged on a binding agreement we had for cuddle/sexy time this morning. Just because it's Xmas morning and she is afraid the kids will get up at any minute, who cares, a deal is a deal.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 06:24:38 AM »
Once you sign the contract for the purchase of the new vehicle, that price does not change.

You might want to re-read a contract of sale.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »
And I presume Marshy that's the reason you are now replying to my thread on Xmas morning LOL

There are decent car sales people and I have dealt with a few. And your correct the trade should be able to depreciate over 4 or 6 weeks, all along I have said I have no problem with that, but I should have the option of walking away "clean" from that agreement if the amount I have to pay changes? In fact as above I reckon there contract would struggle to stand up in law.

Jim

Marschy

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »
You might want to re-read a contract of sale.

If you are given a production run number by the dealership and nothing changes as far as the original contract signed is concerned, the price doesn't change, e.g. same car, same production run. If the customer changes his mind after signing a contract that affects which production run the vehicle is produced on, a reasonable person may expect to pay more due to price increases, even if they are taking something off the car. Unfortunately, not everyone is reasonable.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 07:36:01 AM »
Actually no, I had the VIN for my Prado and the dealer tried to stitch me up for a $1500 increase when it landed for something or other, so I read the contract of sale and it says basically you're screwed. I didn't pay the extra $1500 though.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »
Bloody loopholes everywhere  >:(
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »
Certainly had some bad experiences with dealers over the years, not to mention land rats...

But in all fairness the last three dealers I've dealt with we're great. Two of those in new cars, so maybe that makes a difference.