Author Topic: Future Darwin Candidate, on the Turon?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Future Darwin Candidate, on the Turon?
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
Went to Wallaby Rocks (on the Turon near Sofala) on the weekend, found a great quiet spot. Set about building a campfire when at about 4pm this family turns up for a swim. After a little while Dad decides to climb the overhanging rocks, I thought he had just gone for a sticky as there are numerous caves and holes in the cliff face, but after 10-15mins it turns out he is 50m up looking to jump! Now I am thinking surely not and then he starts to descend down another way, but no he is just looking to get closer. At about 30-35m above the river he comes to the ledge in the Picture and starts sniffing around again, at this point the iPhone video is on him and all 5 of us are gawking in amazement. There is banter between him and his wife and kids, I couldn’t hear him but apparently my kids tell me he is asking about the depth!!!! Now those that know the Turon, they will already be wide eyed it is pretty hard to find a spot in that great river that a 10 yo couldn’t stand in. And this clown is asking his 8yo for advise and trying to get him to swim over and test the depth. This was all great amusement for me and the kids, the wife is just disgusted at the guys stupidity and is shaking her head, I was running out of memory trying to get the “right’ shot on the video so I could have my 5mins of Youtube fame (not to mention evidence for the coroner), when I get glimpses of our peaceful evening by the fire being ruined by emergency services personal trampling around all night and these poor sods having to come out from Bathurst on a Saturday night, not to mention the place being closed off because of the “dangers” to campers etc etc. So I yell out “hey mate, do you know the depth?” he “replies no do you?” fcuk me your kidding right? “ I said no but I wouldn’t be jumping. Anyway long story short after 15 mins of pontificating around and convincing the 8yo marine surveyor to inspect depth he jumps! Right after this photo and before I could get it back to Video mode. He hit the water in a sitting position and after what seemed like ages he appeared, he walked (a little bow legged) straight out of the water and headed to the car and got in (the passenger’s side) after the other half couldnt get up the dirt entrance in the falcon he got in behind the wheel and did a Monster Truck imitation run and bashed the Falcon to the top, punched out clouds of dust all over the campsite and they were gone! 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:55:37 AM by achjimmy »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
Future Darwin Candidate ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
As a teenager in the 80s I remember an acquaintance that jumped from the cliffs at Port Noarlunga here in SA. He has been a paraplegic since. Some people just don't make their own luck!
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
Re: Future Darwin Candidate ?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
yup, no matter what part of the planet you are on you can always find one.

outside of this clown, how was the campsite?..........it's on my shortlist for weekend getaways
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Future Darwin Candidate, on the Turon?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
Great spot, cant belive it was so quiet when Greens point the other end of town was like a Caravan Park in School Hols. I wouldnt say its 2wd acess though.

Also for softfloors or tents the whole area is goolies.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:09:31 PM by achjimmy »

Jim

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
Mad!  No way the Turon is deep enough for jumping... FFS!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »
Did you thank him? Without idiots like that we wouldn't feel so privileged; to have brains and some great stories to relate.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
Too late for Darwin Awards, he has already procreated...
BUT, still, what a D*&K...

I wonder how hard he hit the bottom, he walked out, but still could have sustained some damage.

Goose..

Thanks for sharing Jim.....
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
God I miss that area.. camped for years just over the bridge on the left as you get to the T intersection at Sofala. (Right at T takes you to the "town" few 100mtr away)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
I wonder how hard he hit the bottom, he walked out, but still could have sustained some damage.

Fair chance he also blamed his 8 year old son for his bruised backside and gave him a flogging for it as well if it is anything like the darwin candidates around here.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline gruesome

• Don't follow me I'm LOST
  • Tent User
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »
Should have hit head first, it probably wouldn't have hurt as much, some people are there own worst enemy,
cheers Andy
2001 Prado OME coils and springs, bfg 265/75/16, UHF, Warn 9000lb winch
dual batteries, snorkel, draw  system, TJM bar, hella lights
Complete Campsite trailer

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
If he went in the water in the sitting position, he's most likely given himself the biggest ever, self administered fresh water enema known to mankind.

At that height, unless he had a bloody good undies or speedos, he'd have a 10 litres of water and several fish species wedged deep in his blurter.

Don't get behind him if he farts, it'll be smelly fish soup for all and sundry.  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
If he went in the water in the sitting position, he's most likely given himself the biggest ever, self administered fresh water enema known to mankind.

At that height, unless he had a bloody good undies or speedos, he'd have a 10 litres of water and several fish species wedged deep in his blurter.

Don't get behind him if he farts, it'll be smelly fish soup for all and sundry.  ;D

PSML.. Lucky I was not drinking a coffee at the time, I would have sprayed my screen...
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »

highly doubt it... we used to jump off the cliffs in Natio Park and they were round the 100ft mark.. admittedly this was when we was young and stoopid... massive yankees and bombs and all sorts of Shit..

never farted a sprinkler once.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
God I miss that area.. camped for years just over the bridge on the left as you get to the T intersection at Sofala. (Right at T takes you to the "town" few 100mtr away)

Still a great spot Lost, i hadnt ben for 30 years and it doesnt look a lot different, just more overgrown. i think i know the spot you mean and they still camp there.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
I was having second thought on my 30m guess looking at that photo again. I found a photo from the next day of the entire cliff, you can see the heigth!  I never went over to check depth but it cant have been that deep, further more the river was in late arvo shadow and the next day in full sun you could see fallen trees sitting on the bottom. I am still amazed how he survived

Jim

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
There's a lot to be said in favour of natural selection  :angel:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
I was having second thought on my 30m guess looking at that photo again. I found a photo from the next day of the entire cliff, you can see the heigth!  I never went over to check depth but it cant have been that deep, further more the river was in late arvo shadow and the next day in full sun you could see fallen trees sitting on the bottom. I am still amazed how he survived
that almost looks familiar.. in the far left corner on other side of river, is there a cave?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 06:34:16 AM »
that almost looks familiar.. in the far left corner on other side of river, is there a cave?

Not sure but there appeared to be caves or caverns all over the cliff face.

Jim

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:29 AM »
Used to jump through the Natural Arch up behind Springbrook as a teenager..
BUT... we knew the exact spot where the deep hole is.
AND always checked for any logs or rocks that could have moved there since last time..
mate even did a one half gainer in one day when the water level was up nice and high.

Sadly closed off now because of the DH's out there who fail to check
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
While we're talking about the Darwin awards...

I just came across two young electrical apprentices in their Mazda van bogged to the eyeballs in a new land subdivision not far from our home.  So being the good Samaritan that I am, I scooted home, grabbed the snatch strap, recovery hitch and max trax  :cup:.

Headed back down in the Paj  :4x4: to give them a hand and guess what I found...  Two more young electrical apprentices in a crappy old Rodeo ute, with a (highly unsuitable) rope tied to the front of the van and attached to their ute - guess where - yep, around the towball.  :o :o  They were tying it off and ready to do pedal-to-the-metal in the Rodeo.

So, I ask, "would you like a hand?" ...  Boys: "nah nah we're right  8)" ... Me: "you know that tying that to the towball is deadly dangerous, right?  ??? ???" ... Boys: "too late now, we're all tied on. We'll be 'right, as long as everyone is out of the way." ... Me: "what about the driver?  :-\" ... Boys: "yeah, we're right".... Me: "I have a snatch strap and proper hitch fellas, let me help you" ... Boys: "nah, we're right  8)". 

I had to drive away before I could bear to watch the recovery attempt  :-[.  I hope I don't hear ambulance sirens soon...  sigh ...

Should I have insisted more?  I think four young blokes didnt want to be embarrassed by accepting help from a woman...

They were all in high-viz workwear with steel-cap boots. I wonder what their employer would think of their safe work practices.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
Quote from: achjimmy
Not sure but there appeared to be caves or caverns all over the cliff face.

is that location just out of Sofala town on the west side??
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home