Author Topic: Bunnings 10% price guarantee (and they won't uphold it!)  (Read 29385 times)

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
Re: Bunnings 10% price guarantee (and they won't uphold it!)
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
heard this before somewhere, a lot.  I have never had an argument with the store here, but I could not believe the lack of response sometimes.  My local Bunnings is not a warehouse, just a small shop so never stocks a great range of product. Usually if you find something you need, like air fittings in my experience, the shelf is usually empty for a month or so. I needed a PZ driver bit,, didn't have the one I needed. Was told they could get one from the warehouse which is an hour away. I'm thinking a few days, there are trucks coming that way in droves every day, and surely these guys would get a few more items like mine.  After six weeks the guy rang me to say it was in.  I'd already been to the next town twice by then a got it myself during the trip. Still can't believe it.  ???
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
Ordered a outdoor setting from Bunnings they told me they would ring when it came in that was 8 years ago still waiting  >:(

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
I had a funny story when I priced matched a dewalt cutoff saw stand at Bunnings.  They rang up the tools hop that I said had it cheaper and said it was bunnings doing a price match, the guy on the other end then gave them an even lower price (by $50) to really screw bunnings, made me happy though - huge saving ;D
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »
The whole bunnings experience sucks,... they are over priced and rude all the time... i shop elsewhere....

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
Sadly.
Like McDonald's, Coles, Woolworth's, bunnings, etc take your pick.
No matter the complaining, they stay open because regardless of your ranting, at some point you support these places.
is it human nature?

Regardless of the situation, just have a look at the people pouring into and out of these places with arms full.

Can't change the masses, but can do your small part.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
I had a funny story when I priced matched a dewalt cutoff saw stand at Bunnings. 
They rang up the tools shop that I said had it cheaper and said it was bunnings doing a price match, the guy on the other end then gave them an even lower price (by $50) to really screw bunnings, made me happy though - huge saving

I know that 'trick' too

use it with hardly normal when I need big ticket items  ;D

Offline Kiv

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
Interesting that Bunnings in NZ claim they will beat the opposition by 15%.

Why are we treated differently by the same company. ???

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
I had a funny story when I priced matched a dewalt cutoff saw stand at Bunnings.  They rang up the tools hop that I said had it cheaper and said it was bunnings doing a price match, the guy on the other end then gave them an even lower price (by $50) to really screw bunnings, made me happy though - huge saving ;D
even better if ya mate works in that store, arrange it with him!!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 04:00:22 PM »
Have a Power Pass at Bunnings and generally find them quite helpful, albeit it is a large self serve store. The range of items is what appeals to the trade and if an item is on special there's no discount on the Power Pass Card, although usually it's only 5% but up to 10% on some items like timber, plasterboard, etc. Unlike the OP who couldn't meet Bunnings clearly advertised price guarantee (out of stock at the other store), I was looking at a Paslode gas nail gun in the tool shop when the tool manager volunteered he knew X store was advertising them $50 cheaper and so he could knock another 10% off the price for me. We're talking a $650 general retail item here so I bought it there and then. Personally I find Bunnings staff a reasonable cross section of my fellow Australians sans two heads. Cry me a river over your experience with life OP.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
I know that 'trick' too

use it with hardly normal when I need big ticket items  ;D

And so somehow Bunnings are the bad guys when they stick strictly to their advertised terms and conditions and when ringing to check don't exactly say 'Hi it's Bunnings here price checking on one of your stock items...' Sheesh!
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
nd when ringing to check don't exactly say 'Hi it's Bunnings here price checking on one of your stock items

That is exactly what they said which surprised the hell out of me.  I guess that is why the guy on the other end got the poops on and quoted an even lower price than what I had told them it was.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »
" I know that 'trick' too, use it with hardly normal when I need big ticket items "  ;D

And so somehow Bunnings are the bad guys when they stick strictly to their advertised terms and conditions and when ringing to check don't exactly say 'Hi it's Bunnings here price checking on one of your stock items...' Sheesh!

I'm not suggesting Bunnings are bad in any way  :-*

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »
I absolutely LOVE Bunnings........................

Best place to go on a weekend if I'm not camping.
I take my son, we grab a snag on a roll, wander round, look at stuff, get ideas for projects, occasionally let them have play in the park.
Every now and then I even buy something small, but after our visit, we get in the car and go to Mitre 10.

I have an account and get good discounts, good products, good service.
Delivery if needed, helpful staff,(yes even the young ones with tats and rings) and usually have what you need or work something out for you.

Oh and yes..................they are usually cheaper. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian

(I still love Bunning though. >:D >:D >:D - morning snag on a roll and a good wander with the lad.............. :-*)

Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
some info for the 2 penrith bunnings -

The one nearest M4 is quite often more expensive than the other

Potting mix is bagged only for bunnings in their size -  this goes for many other items

A lot of their gear is crap Chinese knockoffs like Fisher storage boxes no longer available, Nally bins - good strong bins which last for years now a piece of s#*t which cannot stand up to the task ETC

bought a pear of pliers from Tuggerah these cost $20 more at the time than what the Penrith store was selling them for - and no they would not refund the difference as they where "in different markets"

Only good thing these days about bunnings is open late on week days
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline andylandy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
Thanks for all the replies,

Here's an update, yesterday afternoon i went back to the Bunnings store and asked to see the manager, She turned up quickly and i explained what had happened and how it had left me feeling angry and upset, she was very apologetic and explained their 10% policy to me, in that it must be the same item (as you would expect), and that the place the quote for the cheaper item comes from must have the item in stock (as must Bunnings) she said that it should be a very simple procedure and if dealt with correctly should have no problems. She then asked to see the quote I'd been given from the other store, i told her that they didn't have stock but could get one for the next business day. She rang them confirmed the price, confirmed they could get one the next business day, all of this in front of me unlike the other day when the assistant went off so as not to be overheard. She then said yep that's no problem we can beat that by 10% for you, the whole time she was friendly and chatty, and was so different form the service i received before, i paid for my saw, i thanked her and she again apologised saying that they do occasionally have problems with staff being a bit over zealous when enforcing the company policies, and she would have a chat with the staff involved.

I was impressed by how she handled it, i didn't go back to get the saw or to cause trouble for the staff, i just wanted to let the manager know how I'd been made to feel over a simple issue and how i didn't think that that was right. So in the end all is well, i guess it all depends on who is serving you and how you react to each other.

Cheers

Andy

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
I would get the owners of the cheaper saw to fax you a letter on their letterhead stating their price on the saw and then take that to Bunnings

Why not just go to the tool shop that has the already cheaper price and buy it? 
Bunnings or any store that makes you leave angry are not worth the business.

Years ago I rang up a family owned ladder and clothesline business for a price on a couple of ladders, the business is around the corner from Bunnings.  Bloke wouldn't give me a price over the phone, said he was sick of either people ringing up to price match Bunnings or Bunnings ringing up to confirm prices.  "come in and I'll give you a better deal than them" he said.
Chatting to him he said he had 'undercover' Bunnings people coming in every week to check prices and could usually work out the steady stream of Bunnings phone calls.
Ended up being cheaper than Bunnings by about $100.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:10 AM »
As I occasionally had to remind my employees doing the Oliver Twist routine- 'Alas I don't pay you, our customers do and as you well know they can be a miserly lot' ;)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 06:58:30 AM »
some info for the 2 penrith bunnings -
The one nearest M4 is quite often more expensive than the other
Use to work for them up here on the north coast of NSW.
There were stores in both Yamba & Maclean, a lot of people got their tv reception from the Lismore direction, tv ad's come from Lismore on channel 10 were for the lismore stores pricing, The Lismore & Ballina stores was under the QLD umbrella which was cheaper than our two stores. Yamba & Maclean where we were under NSW's control, yet Grafton was cheaper again than both these two stores because it was classed as a different size Box. Then there was the two stores in Coffs Harbour, were some people would get their tv reception from, these were advertized as being cheaper again.
It caused no end of arguments with management(head office, State) and customers.
Nobody knew what the pricing policy was, we would sell the produce at the advertized price and then get our bums kicked for price changing. this is when we learned that there are different store sizes(Or Boxes as they call them) and depending on the Box Size, it gave a different product price. Sounds like this is still in use.
Their solution was to shut both little stores( which were operating at a 27% GP), because they didn't meet their concept of a "Box".

:cheers:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:43:09 AM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »
I went to a Bunnings store to purchase a BBQ.Before leaving I checked online and showed the BBQ in stock traveled the 1.5 hrs to get there saw the BBQ on display went to find some one to find one in a box for me first attendant said she will page some one 5 minutes later my wife went to ask another attendant this attendant saw my wife approaching and turned the other way,I was standing at the end of the isle by this time it was about 5 minutes before closing and saw about 6 staff members standing at the front door chatting I waved my arms to attract some attention only to get them pointing at me and laughing at each other so I yelled at the top of my voice how about some f#####g service and they all darted all over the place except towards me ( it was funny to watch ) then one person caught eye contact with me and went to dart in another direction and I said dont even think about it come to me . I showed her the BBQ i wanted and could she please point me in the direction for one in a box she said she will have a look only to find out there was none in stock and there was some in another branch I said fine I will pay for it now and they can deliver it to me she said that will be $50 delivery I said that I checked on line before I traveled 1.5 hrs and there was stock have they sold any today ? she said none sold been out of stock for a few days and not to trust the internet I looked at her and firmly said to her I expect at my house in three days at no delivery charge she finally agreed took my money and off I went.Four days later I called the store asking where is my BBQ they will call me back in 5 minutes the next day I called and asked for the manager spoke to the manager she checked for me and said there is no BBQ of the model I paid for in Tasmania only to offer me one worth $250 more at only an extra $100 I said I will take that model but am not paying the extra $100 after I explained how the staff show stuff all customer service she then apollogised and agreed to send at no extra charge.
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »
Arrr Yes Bumblings  its so easy to make the rules when you have such a huge market share  .  >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:58 AM »
Arrr Yes Bumblings  its so easy to make the rules when you have such a huge market share  .  >:D

I clearly remember the clown(Ernie, nobody) that was in charge of the ACCC at the time, when Wesfarmers first proposed to Buy Howard Smith's hardware chain BBC, He said, it would be good for customers AND the hardware industry.

BTW, the cameras above the checkouts are to watch the 'Team Members', not customers.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:31:46 AM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »
& then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,    >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
I went to a Bunnings store to purchase a BBQ.Before leaving I checked online and showed the BBQ in stock traveled the 1.5 hrs to get there saw the BBQ on display went to find some one to find one in a box for me first attendant said she will page some one 5 minutes later my wife went to ask another attendant this attendant saw my wife approaching and turned the other way,I was standing at the end of the isle by this time it was about 5 minutes before closing and saw about 6 staff members standing at the front door chatting I waved my arms to attract some attention only to get them pointing at me and laughing at each other so I yelled at the top of my voice how about some f#####g service and they all darted all over the place except towards me ( it was funny to watch ) then one person caught eye contact with me and went to dart in another direction and I said dont even think about it come to me . I showed her the BBQ i wanted and could she please point me in the direction for one in a box she said she will have a look only to find out there was none in stock and there was some in another branch I said fine I will pay for it now and they can deliver it to me she said that will be $50 delivery I said that I checked on line before I traveled 1.5 hrs and there was stock have they sold any today ? she said none sold been out of stock for a few days and not to trust the internet I looked at her and firmly said to her I expect at my house in three days at no delivery charge she finally agreed took my money and off I went.Four days later I called the store asking where is my BBQ they will call me back in 5 minutes the next day I called and asked for the manager spoke to the manager she checked for me and said there is no BBQ of the model I paid for in Tasmania only to offer me one worth $250 more at only an extra $100 I said I will take that model but am not paying the extra $100 after I explained how the staff show stuff all customer service she then apollogised and agreed to send at no extra charge.

To my knowledge, their internet site has never indicated stock levels - but it was very misleading in that it stated whether a product was a stocked item...ie, one that was ranged for stock in stores compared to a 'Special Order' item that no store every had on the shelf, but only brought in when specifically requested by a customer. Having just checked their website, they no longer appear to make reference to items being 'stocked' presumably due to the misleading nature of the statement.
Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
its all well and good to say "shop elsewhere" but out here the Mitre 10 Mega went belly up after only 18 months and there isnt even a little local hardware that charges $10 for keys and $45 for gas bottles to go to as an alternative....... stuck with the bastards. Had same price match bullsh!t from Bunnings with small items about $20-30 and they try the " its not the same brand/model" bullcrap. Not qworth the hassle and the paper the "price guarantee" is written on is best used whilst in the sitting position.......followed by a flush.......
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au