Author Topic: new round 'ere :)  (Read 3289 times)

Offline v8r

• Learning the Ropes
new round 'ere :)
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »
long time lurker, first time poster ;)

Just getting into some easy camping with wifey and the three kids and a little bit of light 4wd'ing with the local club.. plans are afoot to get a soft floor camper and setup for a longer range trip with the family sometime in the next 5 years, possibly based around a 'big lap'.. until then, im sucking up all  the info i can find in regards to living arrangements and camping in general :)

We're driving a 1999 NL pajero exceed auto i got only last may, unfortunately the engine died 6 months after i bought it so a magna 3.5l went in at christmas (timing ++ i know!). Since then ive fitted monroe shocks (after wasting money on repcos crappy maxtraxs first), some kings uprated rear springs and torsion bars. Ive fitted up a rear camp light / reverse light bar behind the rear wheel carrier, im also in the middle of a dual battery fitout and some custom wiring of accessories, an anderson plug at the rear, some power for phones and crap in the rear. I scored an aux fuel tank off a local buy and swap site for $50, needs a new fuel pump and fitting up, thats for the future

a few pics

Forster - easter long weekend

Up the top of a mates property 5 mins from home.. the climb up has defeated much 'more capable' machinery

first camping trip on the central coast with wifey and kids.. got everything loaded on the roof racks, wont be doing that again!

went for a lap on blacksmiths beach

oh, and when im feeling a little solitary, i go camping with this :)

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: new round 'ere :)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »
Welcome to Myswag v8r lots of info here to put you on the right track. . 
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback
The following users thanked this post: v8r

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »
Welcome to myswag.  Enjoy your time on here.

Happy camping
KB

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum, v8r...

That vehicle is very similar to my brother's.  He is very happy with it, towing a 16' and 21' van.

Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline Ash1

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
Welcome :) We have a 2000 NL Escape and a soft floor camper trailer :) Leaving on our big lap in a few weeks. Shame about the engine though :(

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
we still run my '95 NJ, the original dual (quad) cam engine - cost a bit this year, needed the rear diff replaced so we're keeping it a while now. it pulls our 18' (when open) gic softie on and off deep sand quite well for not having locking diffs and while I'd love a dual battery setup we seem to be doing ok with a large marine/deep-cycle (hybrid) running a 30l fridge 24x7 for up to three days. (oh - that's with a 100watt solar panel on the roof rack through a proper mppt controller...)

we have only had to use our (genuine) maxtrax once and that was on the hot sand, only then because I was silly enough to stop on the soft chopped stuff - I would love to put in a front 'lokka' but that's for the pajero club forum to debate