Author Topic: New (ish) user from Brisbane - tips on 2nd hand campers  (Read 3099 times)

Offline mesuite77

• Learning the Ropes
New (ish) user from Brisbane - tips on 2nd hand campers
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
Hey folks. Been browsing here for a little while. Thanks to the electical threads I wired up a dual battery system in my ute myself and have been very happy with it.

I have been looking at CTs for a little while and am now at the stage where I am going to start looking for one. After reading here for a bit and looking around I am leaning towards a second hand Australian built trailer with Aussie canvas. So far I like the look of the Lifestyle, Customline, Bayside and Camel campers. Due to a big family I have narrowed it down to a 12' tent with a kids room as well (6 kids needs a fair bit of room!!!) Anyway I am starting to look at my first second hand ones however would love some tips on what to look for when inspecting a second hand camper. Particularly things to look for with the canvas. Mechanically I am pretty up to speed but no idea when looking at canvas. Tried searching the site but couldnt find anything of note so happy if you just redirect me to the right threads :)

Anyway. Cheers folks. Looking forward to getting my own camper and getting out there.

Anthony
2004 Ford Courier
2008 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: New (ish) user from Brisbane - tips on 2nd hand campers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Anthony.

I am also new here but they seem a happy and helpful bunch.
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
Welcome
And yes the people on here are very helpful.
I'm currently helping a mate look for a second hand Aussie manufactured camper as well, between the $10k-$15k mark. Have looked a few and all need a few more $K sunk into them before we'd take it on any trip.
The things we mainly check and in daylight.
Receipts for anything the owner has replaced either by a professional or by themselves.
Suspension and chassis cracking
Suspension brackets for cracking
Leaking Shocks, push on the camper multiple times in case the shocks have been cleaned
Rims for cracking and warping
Shake the rims can give you a indication of bearing condition
Age of battery
Tyre ware
Camper rubber seals
Leaks in water system
Leaks in canvas.........Check seams and open and close "ALL" zippers
Wiring
As mentioned above, if owner can not provide receipts, except that you will have to replace it yourself for peace of mind. When I purchased my camper I took the owners word (a lovely elderly man) that the bearings had been replaced prior to sale. I had them checked and they were close to being disintegrated.

I'm sure others can give you more tips

:cheers: 

Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:04:34 AM »
G'day Anthony and welcome to myswag.

Open the CT up in strong daylight and go inside.  Look for wear and rub marks, paricularly around folds.  The poles where they attach to the brackets on the bed base can somtimes catch the canvas and pinch or even tear it.  Look for daylight coming through.  Check the seams are not pulled apart or thread is missing from the seams.  Check the tent floor for tears and holes.  Check where the canvas is stitched to the floor.  This is often a point of excess tension.  Check all tie down/rope attachment points for signs of wear or tearing.  Strong winds or over tightening may damage these points.  Check all zips freely work and the zips are not pulling away from the canvas.

Good luck in your search.

Happy camping
KB

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
X2 what KB said

Cheers Glen
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline mesuite77

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Thanks all. Some great infromation there on what to look for with a second hand camper trailer. Much appreciated. Now just to find the right one for me!!
2004 Ford Courier
2008 Customline Deluxe Offroad