Author Topic: How to seal a lean to off the side of shed.  (Read 5009 times)

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
How to seal a lean to off the side of shed.
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
I am hoping the Myswag brains trust can help me with this.

I need you to imagine a standard colorbond shed 7m x 12m with trimdeck walls.

I want to build a lean to off the 12m side of the shed and use it as a storage area. The lean to is not the same height as the shed so its roof has to butt up against the shed wall. Building it is the easy part but what I am wondering is what would be the best way to seal the lean to roof up against the shed wall??

Obviously being a trimdeck profile the lean to roof wont seal against it. The only solution I can think of is to cut the sheets on my shed and put some angle flashing inside my existing shed wall and over the top of the lean to roof?? I could then use some of that foam rubber sealer that is shaped to seal trimdeck profiles.

Does anyone else have any better ideas or seen this done and can show me a photo of the solution?? Id prefer not cut my sheeting on my shiny new shed if I can get away from it.

Thanks for any help.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: How to seal a lean to off the side of shed.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
If the lean to is not ridiculously lower than the other roof, just get a matching dry pan flashing bent up that goes over the new lower roof and runs up under the gutter of the upper roof. Weather the sheets on the skillion (bend the pans up with a sheet bender), scribe the flashing per ridge cap, done. Cheap, fast, professional.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:46:57 AM »
If the lean to is not ridiculously lower than the other roof, just get a matching dry pan flashing bent up that goes over the new lower roof and runs up under the gutter of the upper roof. Weather the sheets on the skillion (bend the pans up with a sheet bender), done. Cheap, fast, professional.

Yes it is a lot lower. Well at least 1mtr but I am hearing what your suggesting.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:52:11 AM »
bugger. Cutting or replacing the main wall sheet and under flashing it as you have already described is going to be your next most orthodox option. Hopefully someone might know of a tricky way of getting it done.

Offline Ush

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »
Maybe talk to a place that does roofing and flashing and get something like this cut up/folded/made up?

https://shedblog.com.au/skillion-seal-new-pre-cut-apron-style-flashing-for-steel-sheds-and-garages/#sthash.3DW3mM1r.dpbs

Ush
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
Maybe talk to a place that does roofing and flashing and get something like this cut up/folded/made up?

https://shedblog.com.au/skillion-seal-new-pre-cut-apron-style-flashing-for-steel-sheds-and-garages/#sthash.3DW3mM1r.dpbs

Ush

Bang we have the perfect solution, Thanks very much for that it is exactly what I was hoping for but couldnt find myself.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Ush

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »
Bang we have the perfect solution, Thanks very much for that it is exactly what I was hoping for but couldnt find myself.

No problems mate, when we redid mum's roof in trimdeck we got the ridgecap done to match so there wasnt drafts/infestations.

Ush

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »
That is an excellent solution. Never seen it before.

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
I am planning almost the exact same thing so this thread is timely. Can I ask though, how are you attaching the skillion roof to the existing wall? Back channel?

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 09:44:00 PM »
I am planning almost the exact same thing so this thread is timely. Can I ask though, how are you attaching the skillion roof to the existing wall? Back channel?

Cheers!
Andrew

I’m planning to make the lean to fully enclosed so it’s a shed in its own right really.

I’ll mount some sort of beam on the main shed wall to hold the roof. One section of the lean too is going to gyprocked so that area a least will have framing of some sort on the shed wall.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
If the lean to is not ridiculously lower than the other roof, just get a matching dry pan flashing bent up that goes over the new lower roof and runs up under the gutter of the upper roof. Weather the sheets on the skillion (bend the pans up with a sheet bender), scribe the flashing per ridge cap, done. Cheap, fast, professional.

I was wondering about this sort of thing but with a 1m drop in the middle, sort of Z shaped, but straight (if that makes any sense ???)

Something like --|_

Would that work ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
It's certainly convenient, but it's totally reliant on the sealant.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....
The following users thanked this post: #jonesy

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
I was wondering about this sort of thing but with a 1m drop in the middle, sort of Z shaped, but straight (if that makes any sense ???)

Something like --|_

Would that work ???

Yes. In the above case it would be an L shape because the top of the flashing would get cut around the gutter clips and slip up behind the gutter slightly. We get them made up much bigger than a metre - just costs a bit more. Z shapes are pretty common, as are slight turn downs on either end so they can be scribed over sheet profiles etc. Your local Stratco will bend up flashings to your design, just draw what you want and note which side you want the colourbond in relation to the shape.
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie