Author Topic: Don't run yellow lights  (Read 8285 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Don't run yellow lights
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:50 AM »
As the nephew discovered the same in SA where it costs over $500 with VOC levy and the points, exactly the same as if you run a red-
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/the-road-rule-hardly-anyone-knows-that-has-cost-drivers-more-than-dollar600000/ar-AAyq2kJ

He was pulled over by cop who freely admitted it was yellow when he entered the intersection but them's the rules youngun if in his opinion you could have stopped in time on the yellow  :police:
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Don't run yellow lights
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
Yep, amber/yellow means stop unless it is NOT safe to do so.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 07:10:22 PM »
That's one of the worst researched stories. I'm pretty sure all 4 states listed have exactly the same rule. Just been explained differently

Must stop if can do so.
That's been the rule in Vic since before I got my licence in the 80's
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
Must be completely different rules in NSW.

Over here when our light turns green 6 other cars still go through and you have to wait for them.
You then get beeped by the bloke behind for not ramming them.
He then tailgates you sticking his finger up and abusing you, only stopping to send a text or update facebook.
He then swings across lanes to get finally get in front of you and then ends up behind you at the next set of lights for a repeat.

Ah good times.
???
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
Must be completely different rules in NSW.

Over here when our light turns green 6 other cars still go through and you have to wait for them.
You then get beeped by the bloke behind for not ramming them.
He then tailgates you sticking his finger up and abusing you, only stopping to send a text or update facebook.
He then swings across lanes to get finally get in front of you and then ends up behind you at the next set of lights for a repeat.

Ah good times.
???
That only applies during peak hour. And some various suburbs.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »
^^^ Not around our neck of the woods here at the boarder of NSW / QLD ...Its all the time .
Fair dinkum if they want to pay off the national debt, just put a couple of red light camera's in ..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:42:42 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
These vague 'laws of discretion' really get me annoyed. So I deem it's not safe to stop (safer to quickly accelerate through) as I know my car and how well it brakes, how close or what type of vehicle is behind me etc. Some completely random officer who does not know or see all of this, deems that I could have stopped purely on distance. I cop a fine as the officer has the badge and I don't.
Same as driving lights in 'inclement weather'. Who is to draw the line on inclement weather?? The driver who feels that it is helping them see in what they deem inclement weather or the officer who has had a bad hair day and doesn't think anything less than 5ft visibility is inclement?
So the driver has the potential to be out of pockets hundreds of dollars purely based on someone else's opinion.

Charlie Brown

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
These vague 'laws of discretion' really get me annoyed. So I deem it's not safe to stop (safer to quickly accelerate through) as I know my car and how well it brakes, how close or what type of vehicle is behind me etc. Some completely random officer who does not know or see all of this, deems that I could have stopped purely on distance. I cop a fine as the officer has the badge and I don't.
Same as driving lights in 'inclement weather'. Who is to draw the line on inclement weather?? The driver who feels that it is helping them see in what they deem inclement weather or the officer who has had a bad hair day and doesn't think anything less than 5ft visibility is inclement?
So the driver has the potential to be out of pockets hundreds of dollars purely based on someone else's opinion.

Yeah, I agree f**k all laws, let’s all do whatever we want!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:45:16 AM by Charlie Brown »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:21:25 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 10:27:03 AM »
You think they are bad, you should try and interpret the "heightened risk" rules on a boat

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:10:55 AM »
Maybe not all laws, maybe just start with the ones Poita was talking about that are open to interpretation

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »
Or you could actually try stopping at yellow lights. Pretty easy really, especially if you haven't got to the solid line between the lanes when the lights change.

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 02:20:34 AM »

That's not what I said or even inferred. I just disagree with the concept of potentially charging drives hundreds of dollars on things that are purely based on opinion.
You drive 10kph over, then cough up, there is proof provided by the laser. You run a red light, cough up again, proof in the camera photo.

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:17 AM »

Helpful...
I drive main north road to work on a regular basis. There is a rear end pile up pretty much every week due to traffic lights every few hundred meters on an 80kph road. It is also notorious for tailgating.
There are times I will go through the yellow as I have a truck sitting on my rear end where otherwise I would have attempted to stop. Or given I'm in the 4wd I wouldn't have been able to stop as quick as I'm my Legnum.
Now who is the better judge of safety here? Me who knows the car and knows that stretch of roads reputation or a random onlooker?
In no way am I commending running a red, simply pushing through on a yellow if I seem it safer.
The following users thanked this post: Garfish

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
I wish there was a similar rule for people that putt off at the green and don’t give a rats about anyone behind that’s going to be sitting for another rotation
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
Quote from: Poita
Helpful...
Fixed. pasted wrong one when i was lookin originally...

I eleventy thousand % agree with you
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Poita

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
That's not what I said or even inferred. I just disagree with the concept of potentially charging drives hundreds of dollars on things that are purely based on opinion.
You drive 10kph over, then cough up, there is proof provided by the laser. You run a red light, cough up again, proof in the camera photo.
The easiest way to avoid a fine is not break the road rules.
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 09:59:45 AM »
Quote from: JusyApples

But that still misses the point..
Who knows his cars stopping ability and whats safe better? Him having done over 100,000klms in varying weather conditions - or a bloke thats never driven it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
OK, but can you let me in on the secret that lets you know when the green changes to amber, cause when I'm doing 50, 60, 70, 80kph and I'm ten metres from the intersection I'm dammed if i can pick it. I am never in the intersection when the light changes from amber to red, just cant pick that green to amber change,  unless i think that's long enough and stop on the green and wait

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »
But that still misses the point..
Who knows his cars stopping ability and whats safe better? Him having done over 100,000klms in varying weather conditions - or a bloke thats never driven it?
I'm pretty sure no one will get a fine if there is an unreasonable amount of time/distance to safely stop
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure no one will get a fine if there is an unreasonable amount of time/distance to safely stop
But thats the whole discussion isn't it. Interpretation is open to interpretation.  That's what Poita was saying, what he sees as safe might not be what the officer sees as safe. You are always going to have disagreement when rules are left open for interpretation and badge will win everytime i guess

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 01:36:59 PM »
Quote from: macca
But thats the whole discussion isn't it. Interpretation is open to interpretation.  That's what Poita was saying, what he sees as safe might not be what the officer sees as safe. You are always going to have disagreement when rules are left open for interpretation and badge will win everytime i guess

Exactly.. Good luck proving otherwise
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Exactly.. Good luck proving otherwise
As policing changes and there is more reliance on in car camera footage etc I think it will be less open to interpretation.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:39:08 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »
These vague 'laws of discretion' really get me annoyed. So I deem it's not safe to stop (safer to quickly accelerate through) as I know my car and how well it brakes, how close or what type of vehicle is behind me etc.

The law is simple and clear. Amber means stop as long as it's safe to do so.
If you are too close to stop on the amber you don't need to accelerate to beat the red. Just keep going at the speed you were travelling at.
If you have enough time to accelerate to beat the red, you certainly have enough time to stop.
The problem is that when the lights turn amber, most of us are thinking about whether we can beat the red (because we don't WANT to stop), rather than if we can safely stop.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)