Poll

Wondering who knows whether or not their tug or camper actually covers off road usage

Yes
16 (88.9%)
No
0 (0%)
Don’t know
2 (11.1%)
Don’t need / don’t care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Does your tug/ camper insurance cover off road usage?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Does your tug/ camper insurance cover off road usage?
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
There has been a bit of discussion lately re insurance which got me wondering: how many people know if their insurance covers off road usage?
I’m the first to admit I don’t know about mine, but I also know I will check before heading off-road.

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
Re: Does your tug/ camper insurance cover off road usage?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
When I bought the Mahindra pik-up we called our vehicle insurer and asked about off road use for car and camper and engine damage due to bad fuel, they told us that "none of those events were excluded in our policy", so I guess that means they are in.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
Can we have some 'naming' as well please, it may help others make a better choice after all.

There have been quite a few discussions about Insurance over time.
Basically because the buggers keep on changing the rules/goal posts.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:35:59 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »
Coles.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
I'm with Shannons, they told me if I was there legally I was covered for damage. Don't know about the dirty fuel though, never had any damage done by it
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
Allianz
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Does your tug/ camper insurance cover off road usage?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 08:23:05 AM »
I’m with Suncorp and covered off road.

They where super easy to deal with when I rolled my Jimny on a track in the Watagans (well it was more of a little nap on its side, then a proper roll, but anyway).

We got it back on it’s wheels and I nursed it home with the bent door and busted windows.
When I rang Suncorp I was straight up and said it happened in the state forest. They didn’t care, just wanted a post code and nearest named road.

I think there was something like 5 or 7 year warranty on all repairs and I kept my rating 1 for life.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:11:59 AM »
CIL and Shannons
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »
QBE claim they cover anywhere you're legally allowed to be - public roads, private land or otherwise. Haven't had to test that claim just yet.

Camper is with CIL for now. They seem to cover what we wanted and needed.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »
I'm with RAA for the vehicle and camper. As long as I'm legally allowed to be there and drivig with due care I'm covered. So if they found I was being an idiot doing donuts with the camper (how I don't know) and rolled the lot, I'd be without insurance. I saved hard to get my gear though, so that isn't going to be an issue.
They are super easy to deal with in the event of a claim, free windscreen per year, no claim bonus for life etc. I've tried a few others, but I keep coming back.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm with RAA for the vehicle and camper. As long as I'm legally allowed to be there and drivig with due care I'm covered. So if they found I was being an idiot doing donuts with the camper (how I don't know) and rolled the lot, I'd be without insurance. I saved hard to get my gear though, so that isn't going to be an issue.
They are super easy to deal with in the event of a claim, free windscreen per year, no claim bonus for life etc. I've tried a few others, but I keep coming back.
X2
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
I've got the renewal due on the van...

As a tragic - sadly reading the product disclosure statements (average 60-80 pages, YUK); I have learned a bit.

Firstly I would recommend anyone insane enough to do proper DD - to look closely at what they state they DO NOT cover...

I have figured out now that it is these areas/claims that some actuaries have worked out is the area MOST LIKELY you would want to need to make a claim on....

Other tricky things - Apra and I think CIL will wipe you for "actions of trees" - like when a big old rotton tree limb suddenly cracks off - and T bones your van ...

Ditto the above for "actions of water"...   including the sea...   ie  -- they make it your responsibility to pack up and evacuate away from sea / storm surges, (or bushfire threats)....   

Fair enough - but what about in a situation where you are away from the area of where your van is set up - (like on a 4 day boat tour in say the Kimberly; or you are away from the van site (short term stay in hospital)...  = no insurance...

Then there is something very disappointing I have learned that they all do/have in their fine prints/PDSs...

Whilst caravan insurance can include "some contents" - these have to be fixed eg: built in fridge or stove...

And whether you rely on this to cover all your contents OR pay for seperate contents insurance EITHER WAY...they cap each type of item to a restricted payout amount AND only give you a few coins for its depleted value.....

So on asking the question with a couple of call centres:- "you mean to tell me that my wonderful 90ltr National Luna fridge that only gets used a few times a year and is as good as still being brand new -- some 5 years after I paid $2.5K for it; may only get a depreciated payout of say $500? -

So then I - (or like anyone else that thinks that they have insurance that will cover their losses) - then with your ($500 only payout for said fridge) -- puts hand in pocket and has to shell out another $3K to get back what was lost....

How is that right or fair?    Simply put - the included contents cover with your van insurance  - let alone extra premiums you opt to pay for contents or annex

### Are just junk offers ### junk policies ###   Created to look okay; but mostly not worth the money paid; or the paper they are written on)...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
Quote from: BaseCamp
Whilst caravan insurance can include "some contents" - these have to be fixed eg: built in fridge or stove...
many are like that and have heard that one years ago... which you can understand to a point.. fridge is fairly easy to pickup and walk away with
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
"off road" is still really a road, just a poorly maintained one which is why they cover you.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux.