Author Topic: Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show 2018  (Read 4831 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show 2018
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »
Who’s planning to go to the Brisbane caravan and camping show this week and what are you particularly interested in checking out?

I’ll be there on Saturday and while I have nothing particular in mind, i’m sure I will find something to spend today’s overtime on.

Offline Hodgies

• Tent User
  • Hodgies
Re: Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »
Heading in on Saturday   looking for fridge slides for 80 litre fridge
Might check out some caravans for future reference 😎😎
2011 Ford Ranger
2001 K.K

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
Will be there first thing Wednesday morning, Seeing as we Cant afford to buy we have to build,  will have note pad /  tape measure and try to see see if I am on track with my guesstimate measurements so far for our proposed build ... Might get told to rack off too though ..
We'll see, just going to be upfront and ask if I can take a few pics of a few things [ that lack detail in web site brochure  pics ] and run a tape over them . If they dont like that well then I'll do it a stealthy way ..  ;D
Rhinomax ... Complete Campsite Exodus ... Australian Off road ... Aus RV Titan ... style campers are all on the donor list .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
Will be there first thing Wednesday morning, Seeing as we Cant afford to buy we have to build,  will have note pad /  tape measure and try to see see if I am on track with my guesstimate measurements so far for our proposed build ... Might get told to rack off too though ..
We'll see, just going to be upfront and ask if I can take a few pics of a few things [ that lack detail in web site brochure  pics ] and run a tape over them . If they dont like that well then I'll do it a stealthy way ..  ;D
Rhinomax ... Complete Campsite Exodus ... Australian Off road ... Aus RV Titan ... style campers are all on the donor list .

Hehehe....I got chased from the Kimberly stand a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »
Will be there on Sunday and as always, will be looking at the Kimberley Karavan and waiting to win the lotto so that I can buy one!

Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Charlie Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:36:44 PM by Charlie Brown »
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 06:14:03 AM »
Wife and I going Friday and this time we will be checking out the single axel vans with north south bed and ensuite.
Not ready to upgrade the swan OB just yet, but the research stage is definitely beginning.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:48:15 AM »
Buy your tickets online so you get the free train travel. Tickets are $10 this year (which is cheaper than the return train fare for me)

Saturday is my plan, checking out CC, AOR, Kimberley, Track, and a couple of different accessories.

Might see something I need, but just don't know about yet  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »
Buy your tickets online so you get the free train travel. Tickets are $10 this year (which is cheaper than the return train fare for me)

Good idea.

Going in Thursday to drool and get ideas. No money to spend as per usual.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Buy your tickets online so you get the free train travel.

The bonus is that you can only buy (to take with you anyway) what you can carry home on the train.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »

yea I can see them being happy with you doing that... ??? ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
I was a bit more stealthy than you edz, i got my missus to stand beside the area i required measurements with a pamphlet held very square then took a picture, all the time telling the sales rep how much i loved his camper then when i got home i imported the pic into my CAD program and rescaled the pic until i got the pamphlet to the correct size and could then get whatever dimensions i needed. Funny thing is i hardly used any of it as in keeping my trailer as small as possible i just had to make things fit where i could

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
^^^ Ha Ha Macca, Yep the good O'l Show directory booklet measuring unit, A very handy device ..
Well I can honestly say I had no knock backs  from any of the people on the display stands when I asked if I could put a tape over the units on display and bits  I wanted measurements for .. Didnt have a camera with me, didnt need it ..I can draw ..
Just asked politely and outright told them that unless we win lotto there wasnt anyway we could afford one of there units, so we have to try and  build our own version ...
Had a few very decent conversations  with actual builder / company owners of a couple of Hybrid campers / vans, which was pretty informative .. Appreciated their time they gave me ..
All and all it was a long but good day ..
Some new  Hybrids on show,  some older revamped ones ... Just need #5 cheque book to pay for them though, how much do you get for a Kidney ? .   ;D

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 06:48:05 PM »
I went today. Nothing really amazing. Plenty of big vans shoddily jammed together. Scored a washing line which will fit the trailer and appease the mrs since I broke the last one. I would not recommend driving at all. All the old parking zones inside the ekka are gone.

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
Free train travel with your ticket! Heading in tomorrow with the wife for a looksie.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
Free train travel with your ticket! Heading in tomorrow with the wife for a looksie.
trains run every half hour on the loop....Roma St, Central etc like they do for the EKKA, first train today is 9.30 a.m at Roma St, so guessing same time tomorrow
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
Just need #5 cheque book to pay for them though, how much do you get for a Kidney ? .   ;D

Do you still have a spare one to sell ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »
Got rained out at work today so went to the show on my own....can’t say I got excited by anything (same old same old really), though the Kimberley Kampers Unimog would be a nice thing to own if I had a spare $300K. Feel sorry for those exhibitors down on the main showground racetrack, there was 3” deep footprints in the mud from all last night and today’s rain.....not somewhere you’d want to walk around.
Spotted a Swagger at the show....it was me and the family on a big screen of one of the exhibitors.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:44:43 PM by Rumpig »

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 06:12:45 PM »
Feel sorry for those exhibitors down on the main showground racetrack, there was 3” deep footprints in the mud from all last night and today’s rain.....not somewhere you’d want to walk around.
Spotted a Swagger at the show....it was me and the family on a big screen of one of the exhibitors.

you are confirming my thoughts that I think after attending any show there. The ground has past its use by date for a growing city. It is hard to get around for all but the fit, displays organised ad hock around the sites, and if wet well it is buggered.

Brisbane needs a new outdoor exhibition centre similar to what I am  aware of in Sydney that has a great area thanks to the olympics at Homebush and along with Melbourne utilise the race track at Rose Hill Sydney.

An easy fix for Brisbane would be to redevelop one of the horse race tracks at Doomben or Eagle Farm.  I can't see the need for 2 race tracks across the road from each other, the site provides a nice flat area for all, railway access, easy access from freeway.

Anyway I guess I will go out again to see what I don't need.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
you are confirming my thoughts that I think after attending any show there. The ground has past its use by date for a growing city. It is hard to get around for all but the fit, displays organised ad hock around the sites, and if wet well it is buggered.

Brisbane needs a new outdoor exhibition centre similar to what I am  aware of in Sydney that has a great area thanks to the olympics at Homebush and along with Melbourne utilise the race track at Rose Hill Sydney.

An easy fix for Brisbane would be to redevelop one of the horse race tracks at Doomben or Eagle Farm.  I can't see the need for 2 race tracks across the road from each other, the site provides a nice flat area for all, railway access, easy access from freeway.

Anyway I guess I will go out again to see what I don't need.
the rest of the place is concrete and bitumen, so other then a few hills it was fine to walk around....but the people displaying on the track and grass area (which was a small number of vendors really), would have had an ordinary day today.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
the rest of the place is concrete and bitumen, so other then a few hills it was fine to walk around....but the people displaying on the track and grass area (which was a small number of vendors really), would have had an ordinary day today.

If you are fit and abled body. Put a hill in place and some people are stuffed. Even to access the centre arena you mention which was a big hole, means navigating a makeshift ramp that would not comply let alone the resulting crowds on a busy Saturday trying to access the ramp.

Recently my wife attended a disability expo at the grounds in the main exhibition hall and parking was provided in the marque area closest the RBWHospital and people in wheel chairs and limited mobility struggled to make it up the hill under the rail overpass.

I appreciate that most who attend the caravan show are reasonably abled ( I know there are plenty of grey nomads hobbling around) but for other events including the Ekka they may not be. In 1980 it was tolerable but in 2018 it is not. The grounds are intended for all to attend and should be of a standard that is suitable.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »
A flat venu would have been nice, Ragman.  The wife struggled pretty much all day with getting around with the slopes .
 But then again we knew what it is like there  and the world isnt flat, Just means you have to plan  your bounds to where you want to go, So we just persevere and struggle on at her  pace where ever we go ..
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:51 AM »
Went yesterday arvo/evening. Was a tad disappointed. Mostly just caravans and camper trailers. Was expecting more general camping gear. I reckon the 4x4 show earlier this year was better...

Was pretty muddy down on the oval with the rain, just for those planning to go still.

If you are driving and don't want to pay to park, expect to walk. Park over the creek near Northey Street or near the bike track behind Brett's hardware - you'll get a park but will spend 10-15 minutes walking, maybe more depending on your fitness level/etc. Don't bother trying to park around the hospital... you MAY get lucky, but I doubt it!
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
Did anyone see the new Hybrid that Modcon are now selling?

it looked pretty good for the 30k asking price. I don't climb over it but what I did see it looked like a great starter..

I have no idea why the pictures are on their side but I cant seem to change it?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:35:58 PM by wilson79 »
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »
Went today...thought it was ok.
Quality on some a bit iffy, but from the single axel north south bed with ensuite models we saw (didn't see all of them) we liked the snowy river and new age manta Ray's layout the best.
Some of those euro imports claiming low weight seemed to have cheap looking fittings etc.
Just my opinion of course.