Author Topic: Action cameras!  (Read 9546 times)

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
Action cameras!
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
So the bride has agreed to bring forward our three month trip of the cape and NT to next year. My eldest son (10) is keen the capture the trip on video. Whilst we have a HD JVC video camera I was thinking about a GoPro or similar for those underwater and adventure shots. Whilst I don't won't to spend a fortune on a hero 4 black etc is it worth spending a bit more and getting a lesser model go pro or going a few cheapies. On the side of something more expensive is it will be once in a lifetime trips with the kids who want to capture the memories and be confident of good quality. On the other I've seen quite of few these cameras meet their ends or being lost and I'd rather lose $100 then $500.

What cameras do you guys have and suggest
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Action cameras!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
You get what you pay for, my GoPro and my mates $120 jay car special, although the specs say the close to the same, they are chalk and cheese in playback quality.

:cheers:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline evaredy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
You cannot beat a GoPro pure and simple, that's why all the pro's use them. Spend the money and have no regrets.

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
similar pricing to the gopro so it isn't really a "cheaper" option. However the Garmin Virb range is what I will be buying to replace my last gopro..
The one thing I hated about the gopro was actually hooking it up to the computer and sorting and arranging the footage. It was a right royal pain in the rear end.
A good friend of mine bought a Virb (XE I think it was) and after some footage up at falls creek we hooked up and sorted all the videos. SOOOOOO much easier. very intuitive and didn't require a $100000000 processor to do it.

Just my thoughts but it certainly was better quality than my last gopro also.

Cheers
Nick
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »
I agree with some of evo's comments also. GoPro is just one of a few of the better cameras, there is other option in a similar price bracket.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
I would argue that there are plenty of other offerings that are as good as the GoPro.

Sony, Condor, etc all make good units.  Shop around, have a play with them in the store.  I have a Condor unit and it is brilliant.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »
I was in a similar situation to you a while ago and looked at all the options from cheap, to expensive.  Ended up buying a GoPro white with wifi for $240 brand new.  IMO unless you're wanting broadcast quality no need for a GoPro Black, or even GoPro silver.  The white will still give you awesome 1080P quality whilst being simple to use.

Apart from the obvious benefits of a GoPro, when I was looking there were 10 times the amount of accessories available compared to others, online and in stores, as well as a host of forums dedicated to using the GoPro, hints and tips etc.  And with such popularity, if you don't think you will use the camera again after your trip you will have no trouble selling the camera online.

So for a couple of hundred dollar outlay it was a no brainer for me to get a GoPro, rather than save $100 on a GoPro lookalike. Alternatively you could always keep your eye on eBay or gumtree for a near new one as plenty of them pop up regularly.

Offline Big Red

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »
We have a "Shack" (holiday home for non Tasmanians) at Eaglehawk Neck. After the 2013 fires in southern Tas all access to the Tasman Peninsular was blocked by Police road blocks for some days. We were told that the fire had taken out most of the Shacks in the area. With only a couple of hours warning the were advised that residents would be allowed through the road-blocks for a few hours. No time for research I rushed in to Jaycar and bought one of their HD Sports Cameras for $99 attached it to the front of the then Navara and off we went.

I have not used a GoPro but can say the HD Sports is amazing. We have a full HD travel log of driving to our Shack and joy of joys it was still standing - the wind had changed and the fire turned around about 200 metres from it.

Since then we have used it extensively even putting it on a pole and watching the fish caught being wound up and into the boat; driving into Lawn Hill, Kurumba, Broken hill and heaps of other places.

Just my thoughts and experiences - Big Red - aka John

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
I have a GoPro, there's lots of accessories, lots of support, lots of others with ideas and they just work bloody well.

I say GoPro for sure.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
Go pro wins on the accessories. I have the older GoPro Hero 2 and it still does what I need it to do. 

You can however, check this manufacture out (I know a couple of people who have the SJ4000 gopro clone. Earlier models supposedly used much the same hardware as the gopro including sensor. Pictures are very similar in quality and uses the same mount so you can use gopro accessories.  It was doing so well that gopro launched their budget version to compete.

http://www.sjcam.com/3-cameras

Here's a 30minute review of gopro hero vs the sj4000. Skip to about 12mins for the hero vs the sj4000 image comparisons:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/11/16/gopro-hero-budget-camera-vs-the-sj4000-review.html

(His rant against fanboys at the start is quite amusing)

http://www.sjcam.com/money-saving-packs/140-sjcam-sj4000-wifi-1080p-full-hd-outdoor-sports-action-camera-32gb-memory-card.html
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline gutters

• "When logic fails, force prevails"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • Overland Australia
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 09:05:48 AM »
I recently bought the SJCAM 4000 after watching the Techmoan YouTube reviews and I have to say I'm very happy with it.

For under $150 it came with a bunch of accessories and being compatible with the Go Pro mounts and accessories is a plus too. 
Blog - https://overlandaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/OverlandAustralia/
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVhF6CXHhJEquGz55gtsXWQ
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/australiaoverland/

Offline hawks667

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Been using a SJ4000 for a while now....Works very well & the quality is surprisingly clear.......
Prado 120 with all the fruit pulling an Aussie Jays Crusher.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »
Has anyone played with the Panasonic HX-A1 ? price is good, just wondering what accessories are available compared to the gopro...

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/panasonic-hx-a1-k-action-camera-black-pahxa1dbk
$169
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:13:56 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »
Have had a GoPro Hero 2 for years and it does the job but to be honest my mates that have the Sony Action Cameras swear they are so much better than the GoPro.

Most of my filming has been in the surf either surfing or attached to my Ocean Ski filming me getting smashed.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
I have the Sony action cam and am very happy with it's performance. It has some sort of gyro in it. It's mounted on my dash but it levels out and takes most of the bumps out of the filmings. You can see the car swishoing from side to side but the filming stays level.
 Had a few ales so I'm struggling with the finer points of the explainatoin but I'm sure you get the drift.
Pretty good software for post editing too also.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:29 PM »
I have the Sony action cam and am very happy with it's performance. It has some sort of gyro in it. It's mounted on my dash but it levels out and takes most of the bumps out of the filmings. You can see the car swishoing from side to side but the filming stays level.
 Had a few ales so I'm struggling with the finer points of the explainatoin but I'm sure you get the drift.
Pretty good software for post editing too also.
:cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »
I have no need for one, but it's one of things you just want!!!

https://360flyau.myshopify.com/collections/cameras

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
Has anyone played with the Panasonic HX-A1 ? price is good, just wondering what accessories are available compared to the gopro...

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/panasonic-hx-a1-k-action-camera-black-pahxa1dbk
$169
Down to $99 on sale at JB.. Comes with GoPro adapter.. :)
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/video-cameras/panasonic/panasonic-hx-a1-d-action-camera-orange/834181/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
I'm watching the price of these and waiting for the technology to improve slighty.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/video-cameras/360fly/360fly-360-hd-camera/943503/

Fantastic concept.  Viewing the recorded video through a virtual reality headset should be amazing.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Quote from: the lord
Down to $99 on sale at JB.. Comes with GoPro adapter.. :)
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cameras/video-cameras/panasonic/panasonic-hx-a1-d-action-camera-orange/834181/
got one of these on me desk as we speak. for the price couldn't pass it up
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »
Quote from: Unhappy

mate just bought a second one at JB in Forest Hill - and came with a free IR Torch... :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Just seen this as a GoPro clone. Same 4K specs as GoPro black but with longer battery life and a tripod mount. Uses the same mounts as GoPro but for almost half the price

http://bit.ly/2ahENAM
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:17:21 AM by tk421 »
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
We've got a Tom Tom Bandit; compatible with GoPro mounts via an adapter, and nice and compact... also seems fairly tough after the with stacked it with it on the bars of the mountain bike yesterday on it's first run out!

Paid about $500 for the camera and 2x GoPro mounts (handlebar and roll cage) and some extra sticky mounts at a Hardley Normal sale weekend.

We're still working on the best way to set it up on the bike; it might take a few goes to get it completely right - anyone have any tips?

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
Any chance of a bit of a review.

I'm looking for one but dont want to pay a fortune as i only really want it to record some work when I'm putting in an epoxy floor, i will be sole nq installer of a new flooring system, so looking to get some footage for a website (if i get my finger out & get one)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
Any chance of a bit of a review.

I'm looking for one but dont want to pay a fortune as i only really want it to record some work when I'm putting in an epoxy floor, i will be sole nq installer of a new flooring system, so looking to get some footage for a website (if i get my finger out & get one)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

if you need a demo floor to paint, my ratty old concrete outdoor area floor is available... :)