Author Topic: About to order a Jayco Eagle Outback  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Snake

• Tent User
About to order a Jayco Eagle Outback
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
G'day guys

We are a few weeks away from ordering a brand new Jayco Eagle Outback. Wondering if anyone else on here has bought one of the Jayco Camper's in the last couple years so we can see where we are at with price negotiations. I have been given a RRP of 35k for the unit itself plus the following extras so I am just putting the feelers out to see what their bottom line is likely to be.

Jayco Eagle Outback
Truma Air Con
Extra 82l water tank
Extended draw bar
ESC
A Frame tap
External BBQ
Hot Water and shower
Bag awning and bed end flies
Control panel
120watt solar panel
TV/DVD player with stereo system

Anyone have anything to add that is a "must have?" And what price is reasonable do you think with RRP of 35k which is well open to negotiation?
Melbourne

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: About to order a Jayco Eagle Outback
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »
We took our new 2014 Eagle Outback for a shakedown run over the weekend and couldn't be happier.  Very quick and easy to setup even in fading light! We will stay mostly at caravan parks and national parks close to main roads so I think it will be just about perfect for our needs.

It was a run out model, standard trim with the only extras being a Fiamma awning, bed end flys and club lounge bed convertor.  We picked it up for just under $26k on road, with 12 months rego. I think this is pretty good when you consider the resale value. We looked at a few second hand ones but I couldn't justify the price people wanted and they wouldn't budge.

When we picked it up we also bought a front shade awning for the Fiamma, a Happy Wanderer TV aerial (we used an old LCD TV we had at home) and annexe floor matting ($65 at Road Tech Marine).

The only complaint so far comes from my 10y.o. daughter who complained the bed (converted dining area) was too hard. I told her we would get her an 'egg shell' cover for her to use next time.

Given that we live in FNQ we considered aircon and that may still be on the cards but we'll see how we go.

I'm not sure how much the other options you listed cost but you might want to think about whether or not you really need them.  Or whether you can add them yourself in the future. In any case, below is my 2 cents worth.

Is the ESC really going to be worth it? We don't have it and I found the camper sat really well on the road behind our Jeep Cherokee, easily cruising at 110kmh and occasionally a bit more when overtaking. I imagine ESC will create almost as much discussion as leaf vs independent suspension.

I think an external BBQ would be handy but the dealer told me you can fit a Weber Baby Q (about $300) in the front boot. I've not checked this but that is what we'll do. Also, i am sure an external BBQ will take up space somewhere inside when packed up reducing internal storage.

You might also want to consider a Fiamma rather than a bag awning. I found the Fiamma to be really easy to use and could be wound in or out in just a minute or so. Ours doesn't come with the full wall kit but we have found there is enough space for all of us inside if the weather is bad.

Good luck with the purchase and I hope you are as happy as we are.  After the weekend, we are already talking about our next trip, to Mission Beach or maybe the dinosaur trail at Winton or maybe the Undarra lava tubes or maybe Big Crystal Creek or maybe...... you get the picture, no shortage of places to go in beautiful tropical North Queensland.

Offline Snake

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »
I like the idea of getting a Weber Baby Q as opposed to the built in BBQ.

Do you find the Fiamma gives you enough shade?
Melbourne

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 06:48:31 PM »

Anyone have anything to add that is a "must have?"
a heater for keeping inside the camper toasty warm (we have a Webasto diesel type, but there's gas ones also available aswell). One of the best things we got added onto the camper i say, and a mate says same for his camper which is a similar style to what you are looking at getting.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 06:49:32 PM »
To be honest we didn't spend a lot of time under the awning and I didn't put up the shade screen.  I reckon it will be ok but you can always add side screens if need be.  Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind some sort of shade or awning on the kitchen side as well though. When we had a light shower yesterday, the water came in through the open windows whereas with some sort of screen the rain might have been less likely to come through.

Offline robsjack

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »
Snake

We picked our Outback Swan 6 months ago

It came with the following extras : - Roof racks, HWS, External Shower, standard annex, bag flies, BBQ gas outlet on draw bar all for $30k

The Eagle being smaller was a few $k cheaper. $7k-$8k seems a lot for your extras.

It really comes down to what sort of camping you are doing and how much cash you have to spend. We couldn't see the value in the A/C as you can only use it when you have powered sites. I would get the extra water tank as we have run out a couple of times when camping more than a few days. Beware of the extended draw bar. The towball weights on these are quite heavy as standard and I would not want to mount extra things on our draw bar (ours is 165kg from the factory). We have a portable BBQ so needed only the extra gas point. HWS is WONDERFULL. I'm a spark by trade so I'm able to do electrical things like the control panel later at my leisure. I bought a portable 120W solar kit through the forum hear which only cost $500 and it works really well. I would think you should be able to pick up a better value TV/DVD player from JB HIFi or elsewhere rather than include it with the purchase.

Regardless which extras you end up with you will really enjoy the Jayco campers. So much quicker and easier to set up and really comfortable. We love ours

rob

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
The external BBQ is more one of those 2 burner cooking stoves so stick with the webber if you can it is one of my only regrets with the goldstream

Also if you are going a Fiama make sure they give you a change over price and not just add it on so then you are practically paying for a fiama and a bag awning

If that is the case you may want to consider what i did and have them mount the bag awning on the other side it makes a good car port when it is just me and the missus staying somewhere long term and when we meet up with the neices and nephews that is where they set up their swags
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
We just got a price for a swan outback, and our dealer said that there was a Melbourne show special from Jayco of the TV/DVD and CD/Radio for free with the new Swans and Eagles, so that should reduce your price.
Another dealer said that they could do a deal with something else other than the CD and TV/DVD pack if we weren't interested in that, so I reckon there'd be a bit of room to manoeuvre in their price.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
Do you really think you will use the Aircon much? Especially down in vic. Most I have spoken to have only really used it once or twice at the start. A lot of money to have sitting up there that can be useful for other stuff. Do some crunching price sounds a tad heavy  :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
Go the aircon, you will use it and you wont be disappointed

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
Drop the aircon and get a diesel heater..

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
x2 for the fiamma awning, should be about the same size as the bag awning and much more user friendly.

Re the solar panels, I'm guessing they will go on the roof. Maybe consider portable panels you can plug into the van instead as you would normally prefer the camper to be in the shade, and the panels obviously in the sun.

Offline Snake

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Re: Air Con- I don't think it will get a great deal of use but I hate sleeping in the heat especially up north when it gets humid so i think I will still get it and run it off a generator if I don't have access to power.

Re: Solar- Where do you store the portable units? I like the idea of factory fitted so there's no stuffing around with them all the time.

Re: Awning- I think we will get the Fiama and maybe get a small roll out kitchen awning to stop the sun coming through the window.

Getting excited to go and order it, just want to get it right the first time.
Melbourne

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
I have a bagged awning. Would have preferred the fiamma style awning but did not have cash at the time. Also the wall kit seemed a bit fiddly. In retrospect, I hardly use the annexe walls. A shade cloth with sail track would have been fine with the fiamma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 07:41:43 AM »
We just ordered a swan and went with the fiama awning (for it's ease), the solar up top ('cause I don't have to really think about it to much - it's just there). We got the rack instead of the air con - hard decission, but most of our use will be in Tassie (and the price dictated we what we could afford at this stage).

Offline Palmer

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00:13 AM »
Hope the limitted info in the PM is useful.
Forgot to mention that here in Tassie I only had ONE dealer to work with, otherwise I would have had to get something over on a ship from a mainland dealer, so it limitted my ability to deal.

Offline Snake

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
Hope the limitted info in the PM is useful.
Forgot to mention that here in Tassie I only had ONE dealer to work with, otherwise I would have had to get something over on a ship from a mainland dealer, so it limitted my ability to deal.

Yes thanks for the PM info mate. I guess it all comes down to $$ and there are some extras I'm not willing to give up. I think a Fiama is the way to go but I'll see what happens when we go to the dealer.
Melbourne

Offline Hogbert_1999

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
We got a swan about 6 months ago (took delivery 3 months back)

We looked at all options and went with the following!

Jayco swan OB
HWS and shower
Fusion stereo low range version
Bed end flies
Std awning
Offside awning (for privacy and cooling)
TV antenna
Roof racks
Std drawbar
2 extra Anderson plugs
Additional 12v outside
2 additional inside

Came in at $34k

Now from what I have found the price gets higher the further away you go from the factory ie fnq vans are more exxy than Vic by quite a bit.

We got a couple of quotes (2 dealers) and they were willing to compete for the business.

WRT the aircon we went away form it for the following reasons:

Extra weight on roof when lifting
Wanted roof racks for watercraft
Have heard they are not that Powerful (not like a home split system)
A lot of extra $$
Ability to open all sides of the van ( due to bed end flies and awnings all round) to cool in hot conditions
Easy to heat in winter lots of options
Aircon only works with 240 and we are not aiming at being on powered sites too much and a genny is a droning sound  and PITA just for aircon.

We may have it wrong but that's our reasoning.

I think you should definately carefully consider your extras and I think you could do better on the price particularly given the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New outback swan has arrived let the good times roll!

Offline Snake

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
What do you all do without aircon? Do you bring a portable fan to get you by if it's a hot night?

The price of 35k is RRP for the unit and all extras. The RRP for the unit itself is $26,038. I am confident on getting it for under 30k as I will no doubt let a few extras go (maybe zircon, bbq, stereo etc)

It is handy that Page Bros is the closest and number one Jayco dealer so I should be able to get a decent price, plus I used to work for Jayco building the motorhomes so I will no doubt see if that gets me any form of discount.
Melbourne