Author Topic: Accor Club - anyone members? - was it worth it?  (Read 5171 times)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Accor Club - anyone members? - was it worth it?
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
My brother and sister have been long term Accor Club members and I think relatively happy with their deal.  I joined a year ago, $330 I think from memory.  Anyways, we have had quite a few discounted meals with the Accor Club but I prefer to eat at places that arn't in the Accor group so we don't use it that much.

We went to book our free nights accom recently and I found out that you can't get your free night on a Saturday. That was a bummer so we got a free night on the Fri and paid for the Sat. 

Over the last 12 months I guess we have got our $330 back in savings but not much more than that. Well today the Accor mob rang me to get me to resubscribe ($330) as I was a very valueble customer  ???.  I told the girl from the start of the phone call that I was not going to resubscribe and over the next four and a half minutes I told her "no" at least 10 more times. I really wanted to tell her to go $&@/ herself but I had a captive audience within earshot so I remained calm.
She kept asking me why I didn't want to rejoin (at least 4 times) and kept talking over the top of me. She kept telling me I was making a terrible mistake in leaving and that I would regret it. In the end she rudely said" fine, have a nice day and hung up on me".

Guess who will never join that club again. Anyone else had a bad experience with them?

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Accor Club - anyone members? - was it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
It's a crock mate, I now book through hotels.com every 10 nights gets you a free night on the average room rate you have spent
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
I see it a bit like those entertainment books with the discount coupons, you need to spend money to save money. You pay $50.00 for the book then start to eat out more than you normally would. The entertainment books and the Accorr type schemes may suit some people but not me. With the accomodation discounts we camp for most of our holidays so hotel discounts are of no use.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »
Hang up on pushy cold-callers. There is no need to be polite, or explain yourself.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
Havnt used the Accor Club, but we use the Entertainment Book Digital version a lot. It's for meals and interstate accomodation. Cost $66 and worthwhile as the usual offer is a free meal to the value of the other main meal ordered, or say 25% of total bill when eating in a group of 4.

It often makes the difference between us getting take away on a Friday nite or deciding to go to one of the many participating outlets around us.

A good thing is a % of entertainment book sale proceeds go to nominated local schools or community groups. You order online, or thru a designated seller, such as a school contact, so no pushy sales persons
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:03:16 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Hews

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »
We are Accor members and pretty sure it was free. Stayed in a few on an overseas trip recently and were getting better rooms for the same price towards the end. Even had an upgrade to silver membership or something.

Best thing about it was that most accor hotels have a club reception desk which skips the line up at check in/check out time.

Will check with swmbo but sure she wouldn't pay 330 for a hotel membership.

As for the rude call you received - I would be writing the company a lovely feedback email.

Offline Azz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 05:39:34 AM »
We are Accor members and pretty sure it was free. Stayed in a few on an overseas trip recently and were getting better rooms for the same price towards the end. Even had an upgrade to silver membership or something.

Best thing about it was that most accor hotels have a club reception desk which skips the line up at check in/check out time.

Will check with swmbo but sure she wouldn't pay 330 for a hotel membership.

As for the rude call you received - I would be writing the company a lovely feedback email.

I have the free one as well, gives a few perks. We don't stay in hotels enough to pay for the "better" membership.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:35 AM »
we use the Entertainment Book Digital version a lot.

x2 the missus gets one each year, we use it for the zoo/kids stuff, restaurants, shop discounts, usually pays for itself.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
Hang up on pushy cold-callers. There is no need to be polite, or explain yourself.
Yeah I know. At first I was getting mighty pi55ed, but then I just couldn't believe how pushy and arrogant this sales chick was getting. 

I had people within earshot  that had received some very sad family news so I kept my comments under control out of respect to them. Don't worry, I really wanted to give her a fair spray.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
Accor members and Accor club are 2 different things. Membership is them emailing you specials and you get priority check in etc.

Accor club is another name for a time share agreement where you pay a upfront free and then depending on your level of membership you entitled to discounted holidays and food.

Earlier this year we were staying at a Accor hotel and they gave us $100 off our bill if we attended a 2 hour seminar/sales push on joining up. For us it wasn’t value for money and I believe unless you do a lot of traveling, then it would be hard to justify the initial outlay. 

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Accor members and Accor club are 2 different things. Membership is them emailing you specials and you get priority check in etc.

Accor club is another name for a time share agreement where you pay a upfront free and then depending on your level of membership you entitled to discounted holidays and food.

Earlier this year we were staying at a Accor hotel and they gave us $100 off our bill if we attended a 2 hour seminar/sales push on joining up. For us it wasn’t value for money and I believe unless you do a lot of traveling, then it would be hard to justify the initial outlay.

No different again.  It has nothing to do with time share apartments. Basically $330 per year. You get one free nights accom at an Accor Motel. We used ours at a very upclass place in Palm Cove. I think it was $250 per night. You also get half price meals (sometimes free if you dine with your Mrs) at restaurants. This includes breaky lunch and dinner.  If you dine out a lot, I think it is worth the $$ but we don't eat out all that much and I prefer to eat where I want to rather than at one of the Accor owned places.

You do get emailed different discounts and offers to stay at hotels etc but usually it is cheaper on WOTIF. They have never approached me with timeshare apartments before.  On my card it says, Accor Advantage Plus.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
It must have changed since they tried the sales pitch to us as they were after about $8 000 upfront and then a yearly fee of about $300 to $400. This gave us X amount of points to get free accommodation.  IE: that might give is 3000 points, so a high end room might be 1000 points per night so we could get 3 free nights, or use it in a lower class hotel for 500 points per night giving us 6 free nights. Then also discounted food and when buying food it also adds points to your yearly total.

All I know the presentation was 2 hours of high pressure sales pitch trying to get us to sign up on the spot.  Then they finally worked out I wasn’t going to join, their tone changed from being treated very well as a potential  valuable client to being treated like sh#t while the receptionist finalised our $100 voucher.

In regards to your deal I personally wouldn’t join as for $330 a year, that should get you 2 nights on Wotif or similar instead of 1 night at Accor. 

Offline CampAround

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The count down is on...
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
We tried the Accor thing, and it expires at the end of the month. I've had a call about renewing already and straight up I told her I wasn't interested because I didn't get value. She pretended to be shocked and told me to look at their website and suggested I 'lie' about how many kids I have next time I try and book. She asked me to reconsider and because I had people around me I just agreed. I know their number so I'll just ignore the call when it comes in the next few days.

We got our money worth out of it but the discounts on accommodation are no where near what they tell you in the sales pitch.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 05:29:53 AM »
.......Don't worry, I really wanted to give her a fair spray.

No need for a spray muzz. Just hang up. They get the message when the line goes dead.......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 05:45:09 AM »
I was with them for a while but like others I didn't see the value and didn't renew.  I then got a series of phone calls from rather pushy sales people trying to get me to sign up again, to the point where I have their number saved as 'Do not answer' in my phone.

If work books my accommodation at a Novotel hotel, you can guarantee that 2 days later I'll get a call.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 06:41:32 AM »
Flatly refused to join any even the free ones I get offered with my FF programs. I just book where I want to stay when I want stay on the internet.  There's enough things to manage with out trying to work around all there rules and regs
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim