Author Topic: About to order a D-Max, auto or manual?  (Read 12865 times)

Offline Myst

• Tent User
About to order a D-Max, auto or manual?
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
Hi all,

Seeking some feedback from those that might be in the know. Myself and Missus Myst are about to drop the dollars on a new D-Max dual cab 4x4.

With the sale on at the moment we're opting for the LS-U model but having taken both for a short test drive around Darwin, I can't decide between the auto box or the manual. I'm after any feedback that anyone can offer on the subject.

The vehicle will be my daily driver, so running about 15,000km per annum and will have a bullbar (especially after recent events!), canopy, tow bar etc. it's use is about 50% black top, 35% dirt roads and 15% in four wheel drive.

Any info will be gratefully received!

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
Re: About to order a D-Max, auto or manual?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
Ours is a manual. Hope some of the auto owners offer their opinion for you.

For us, we went the manual because we tow the CT, horse float, other trailers. I like the control over my gear selection. Purely a personal preference and not anything against autos.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
Td's are generally better with an auto as the engine management system changes at the optimum power and economy.

I'm not going to lie to you Marge.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline MMblue

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »
Price a new clutch for it. I've be told it that for the new Mazda they may need to be changed after 100,000km $2000.

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:36:05 PM »
I know you asked about the D-Max, but just saying anyway, I love my Auto Cruiser......... great for around town........ even better in low range 4wd, no clutch riding, no stalling at vital moments...
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Price a new clutch for it. I've be told it that for the new Mazda they may need to be changed after 100,000km $2000.

That'll depend on how you drive it wouldn't it? We have the same make/model truck in 2 different stores, one gets a new clutch at 40k km and the other still on the original at 200k km.

Not the same make but essentially the same running gear, the first replacement clutch went into my old Rodeo at 350k km. Cost about $1500. And this ute had a hard life before I got it.

Check some of the DMax build threads, the ones with autos tell what they like about them. But if I had my time again I'd still buy a manual because that's what suits us.
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
I have had no complaints in the work vehicle that is Auto, no towing. It is one of the few 4wd autos Ive driven, and worked a treat, Ive probably spent about 4 days all up in hi and sometimes low, some rough, some sandy, some wet and slippery.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
I have the auto dmax and love it as Dazzler says the computer seems to keep it in the sweet spot and it has a sports function so you can drive it like a manual if you wish
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
thanks all, I'm still a little torn... I'm thinking that we may end up going manual - Missus Myst asked what happened if we got a flat battery out bush in an auto... got me thinking! The auto cog-swapper sure is nice to drive though...

still open to suggestions though!

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
thanks all, I'm still a little torn... I'm thinking that we may end up going manual - Missus Myst asked what happened if we got a flat battery out bush in an auto... got me thinking! The auto cog-swapper sure is nice to drive though...

still open to suggestions though!

If that is your only reason you are drawing a far to long of a bow on a risk basis the liklyhood is very low. That is like saying the car may break down in the bush so we should take a second engine
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
not the only reason, i think i'm making excuses for my long term preference. Have always driven a manual, i think was leaning towards it anyway but wanted to see if there might have been some overwhelming reasons to go with the auto.

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
have had an auto and manual Prado 150 and will stick with manual in the future - I like to actively drive a manual rather than use an auto as an up / down fake manual.
just do what your heart wants and enjoy it!
TC
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
not the only reason, i think i'm making excuses for my long term preference. Have always driven a manual, i think was leaning towards it anyway but wanted to see if there might have been some overwhelming reasons to go with the auto.

It depends on a lot of things for example i have now lived in 3 capital cities and after sydney i will never drive another manual again and as my 4wding is irregular i like the point and go option of the auto same with towing with the dmax i just put it in drive and enjoy the view.

I used to have a manual prado on site and yes it was fun to drive but the novelty usually wore off by the third stop sign
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline RedDmaxxx

• Tent User
  • HAVAHEART
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Hi Mate...ask the missus what she prefer's to drive....and buy that one, as she might need to do a bit of driving as well........and lets face it,  auto or manual both are good ;D
Check out Lyn's blog -
http://lynandgreggreatozadventure.tumblr.com

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
Hi Mate...ask the missus what she prefer's to drive....and buy that one, as she might need to do a bit of driving as well........and lets face it,  auto or manual both are good ;D

Especially in a DMax!!!

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »
I will never have a manual ever again... Too lazy now.....

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »
Mine's Auto with Sports shift - I don't do a lot of offroad rough stuff but this one takes me anywhere I want to go ...Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline knoath

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Far... FAR!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »
Auto here. 5 speed Aisin box, same as 200 series Landcruiser I believe.
When towing it's set and forget, no dramas with the auto. When you want to go off road, the manual select to the side works just fine.
With 40:1 reduction in 4L (read it somewhere...IUA site?), I have found myself accelerating to select 2nd! Plenty of engine braking in the auto!!!

Go and drive them both again, see if you can go off road?
2013 Isuzu DMax LS-U, MDC Trooper C/T.

A Man's home is his castle, but his Garage is his sanctuary!

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
I'm on my 4th 4WD but the first Auto - a 200 Series Cruiser.

In close to 20 years of 4wding I've had 2 flat batteries, and both times just flicked the isolating solenoid and started off the second battery.  So push starting is not an issue in my experience.

That said, with CRAWL in the 200 Series, as well as it's walking pace in Low 1st, I can't imagine ever buying a manual again.  I drive mostly in S mode, so a push or pull on the gear lever effects a smooth gear change, and in stop start city traffic, it's just a breeze!   ;D
Former TOPNDR.

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
I own a 200 series (td) and the aisin box in the diesels are not the same as the dmax, yes they are both aisin but the diesel 200 has a 6 speed box, the petrol 200 series have the 5 speed aisin so I guess that would b the same as dmax

I just bought a auto dmax so I am able to compare both, the auto in the dmax is not bad, it shifts smoother than my parents 2009 triton and 2006 hilux, the 200 is in another league tho! ithe dmax auto drops down gears on downhill sections when braking is applied leading to harder braking than you anticipate, I guess I will get used to it. It wants to get into top gear as soon as possible too, at 60km/hr it is borderline on labouring, again something I will get used to, but coming from a manual 1999 hilux it bugs me. Sometimes I think I should of got a manual but because I tow lots a auto is way better for my needs

Overall the auto is pretty good, manual mode is exactly that and it will shift back to first if you stop too

Having had many problems with manual boxes in the past I think autos are a better long term propersition unlike manuals (eg dual mass flywheel issues, synchros goin, premature clutch plate wear etc)  it seems the manual 4wd gearbox has not advanced in design as much as a auto

Cheers
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
Another vote for the auto here.
My 2c
They're far superior in every way.
I too have had manual 4wds and now have an auto. They are much better offroad no matter how good a driver you think you are an auto will out do the most skilled driver.
And on road a much more relaxed drive.
They're more reliable, no clutch issues especially when your towing or 4 wding
Not sure about the new d-max but a lot of new manual cars will not be push started anyway as the ecu requires a minimum voltage to operate and with a flat battery you'll be up the creek regardless of transmission.
Whatever floats your boat though, some people just prefer manual boxes.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Myst

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »
Thanks do the feedback all, really appreciate it. In the end the dollars and availability made the difference and a deposit has been dropped in the LSU in manual. Local dealer only has a manual in the dark grey colour with no other dmaxs arriving til November. Having just had my hilux written off we need it sooner rather than later....

Again, thanks for the feedback. Now for a new build thread......
The following users thanked this post: pjmowens

Offline Footloose

• Tent User
  • Bush or Beach what a choice
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
Another positive vote for the auto in the DMAX.I bought the auto
when i bought my new car last year for 2 reasons.My ute is my
daily drive and I work in the city so i like to concentrate on what
all the other drivers on the road are doing whatever their level
of skill or lack thereof.I also got the auto because it would be
easier for my wife to drive when we are towing the camper
or soon the van.It is not the most advanced auto in the world
but it does drive really well in the city as well as on the highway.
It is also well matched to the turbo diesel in the DMAX.I am
really happy with the auto.

Cheers Footloose
2013 Isuzu DMax LSM
2014 Jayco Journey Outback pop-top
17.55 ready to tour

Offline Hews

• Swag User
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
Take them both for a long test drive. I have an auto dmax as a daily driver work ute. I am lazy so love having an auto but don't like how much the dmax uses the torque converter. The 5 speed feels like a 10 speed at times, can't make its mind up where to be.

I believe it will come down to personal preference, both have pros and cons. Great economy for a ute as well

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
Thanks do the feedback all, really appreciate it. In the end the dollars and availability made the difference and a deposit has been dropped in the LSU in manual. Local dealer only has a manual in the dark grey colour with no other dmaxs arriving til November. Having just had my hilux written off we need it sooner rather than later....

Again, thanks for the feedback. Now for a new build thread......

I am sure you will still be happy with the purchase I hadn't put a comment in here when you asked as lino6 did and it is the same ute. It is my daily driver and whilst I don't drive in the city I am still very happy to drive the manual and I tow the camper and horse float with it as well. Enjoy the new car when is pick up and will keep an eye out for the build thread.