Author Topic: Access to Blackdown Tablelands NP  (Read 5284 times)

Offline jo zero

• Learning the Ropes
Access to Blackdown Tablelands NP
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
Hi all

Planning a road trip in September school hols and was thinking about including Blackdown Tablelands NP in the itinery, however the National Park website implies the road up to the NP is difficult for heavy trailers.

Our CT is not super heavy, but its being towed by a Kluger AWD, which is underpowered at the best of times. Has anyone driven up to Munall campground towing a CT, and how difficult is this actually going to be?
2011 Vacation Campers Eco Camper Trailer
2013 Toyota Prado GXL

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Access to Blackdown Tablelands NP
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:42:03 AM »
We towed our Cape York up there just over 3 years ago no probs.
Nice spot too. :D

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:00:49 AM »
There are a few tight turns and it is reasonably steep, but just about all of it is sealed these days so unless you are pulling a 5th wheeler I don't think you'll have problems.

It's much nicer up there after a bit of rain though.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Barra

• Swag User
  • GU DX 4.2 & Coota Camper
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »
We towed our Coota Camper with another couple towing a Coromal Off Road van, no problems at all going up and used low range to come down.

Nice camp sites with some good walks in the area.
Barra.

Offline jo zero

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
Thanks guys

Looks like we're a go - and sounds like its going to be a nice place to visit too.
2013 Toyota Prado GXL

Offline Thruster

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:27:13 AM »
Hey Jo,

We were up there in May 2013. The road is sealed bitumen nearly all of the way and definitely beyond the steepest of the incline. The campground itself is a tight-ish one-way road but you will be able to negotiate it without issue. As a tip, try and book Campsite number 14. In comparison to the other sites, it is larger and will give heaps of room for the camper plus playing space for the kids (we had three tents up on it when we went).

Hopefully there's a bit of rain before you go as there is a great creek close to the campground and the waterfall is very much worth the walk.

Have fun!

Offline neilsk

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »
Im heading there next weekend for 3 nights. should be good. ill be towing a camper with a Navara, ill post how i go, haven't been up there with camper. Definitely recommend site 14. 

ill put a pic up of the weekend when i come back. ive been there many times in a tent\swag. first time in a camper. im excited!!
2012 D40 Navara St and a MDC Tbox V3

Offline jo zero

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the campsite tip Thruster, and Neil - I look forward to the pics!
2013 Toyota Prado GXL

Offline neilsk

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:09 PM »

Offline neilsk

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Hey,
the road there was fine all the way to the ranger station, then we hit the dirt. there was a couple of times i noticed slipping of the rear wheels and locked in the 4wd. other than that was a great weekend! just have to watch out for cows, kangaroos and idiots going too fast on blind corners on the edge of a cliff!!

Offline jo zero

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Great photos Neil - definitely going to add to the itinerary - should be ok on the dirt as long as it isn't too wet. Have plenty of experience with the cows, kangaroos and unfoetunately those idiots!
2013 Toyota Prado GXL

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »
Hey,
the road there was fine all the way to the ranger station, then we hit the dirt. there was a couple of times i noticed slipping of the rear wheels and locked in the 4wd. other than that was a great weekend! just have to watch out for cows, kangaroos and idiots going too fast on blind corners on the edge of a cliff!!

Some of the dirt sections had a real marble shaped gravel up there! Many a time did we see a car come in slow to a parking space only to keep sliding forward into a post. They seemed to have gotten rid of a lot of it but there are still some sections, the good news was that that stuff was great in the wet so there has been a bit of a trade off over the years.

Great place to visit and the walks are well worth it. I remember doing a trek to the bottom of nth mimosa creek falls (the camping creek is Sth mimosa) there is no track to it and it took a full day in and out but is was worth every blister, bruise and scratch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).