Author Topic: Actually complained about an ad on the idiot box  (Read 13163 times)

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
Re: Actually complained about an ad on the idiot box
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
I agree 100%
Not even worth all the attention its gotten on the forum really.
There are alot more dangerous/scary things on the television than this 30 second advert where most viewers dont even notice/care where the chain is hooked...
Bill and Morag

as pointed out by a few here on the forum, for those of us in the bush regularly rather than watching TV, there are not many things more scary that using a towbar/ball in the wrong manner

It can be fatal
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:54:31 PM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
Ok, maybe a dumb question, I reckon there is a fair potential for damage to either vehicles given the 'snatch' type recovery speed - but my understanding is that a chain won't recoil like a strap or winch wire. My theory is if anything failed it would fall to the ground fairly quickly without causing injury.....and, no I wasn't the driver  ;D

Comments on chain breaking under load?

Tim

Chain will recoil, heres a good example - ok so maybe the chain is a little bigger, but its still chain
Cheating death! Chain snap

Could you imagine the news headline if one of the "actors" was killed filming the ad due to a flying chain ;D

Offline danielhobby

• Swag User
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
recently had a good mate lend his pristine 80 series to his daughters boyfriend to help himpull out the spotlighting hilux from a bog with a drag chain,the towball on the hilux being dragged backwards bent over and cracked and the chain whipped into the tailgate of the cruiser leaving around a metre of link indents in the skin.the young prick thought it was all a bit funny and expected my mate to pay for his muck-up.$650 dollars later and he wasnt so joyous when he handed over the cash.He still rejects he did it wrong??
The sights,...the smells,...the companionship,...the thrill of the steep downhill,when I'm old I'll have it all

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 05:50:42 AM »
as pointed out by a few here on the forum, for those of us in the bush regularly rather than watching TV, there are not many things more scary that using a towbar/ball in the wrong manner

It can be fatal
Most of us on this forum spend a fair amount of time in the bush.
Its pretty much why we are members of a camper trailer forum.
That was not the point I was trying to make.
The point I was trying to make is, If people complained about every dangerous/scary thing on television then we would not have time to do anything else...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »

Just a question would people use the recovery hitches rated at 4.75t as they slide in to the tow hitch.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »
I saw the ad last night, so they still have it on. Looked dangerous to me.
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
Chain will recoil, heres a good example - ok so maybe the chain is a little bigger, but its still chain

That is impressive...in a perverse sort of way.... :angel:

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »
Quote from: Donuts
I saw the ad last night, so they still have it on. Looked dangerous to me.
I say again
What did people think would happen apart from them look at it as a positive that people are watching their commercials enough to comment on them...

??? ??? ??? ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

crackacoldie

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »
I say again
What did people think would happen apart from them look at it as a positive that people are watching their commercials enough to comment on them...

??? ??? ??? ???

I Agree with Lost here.  If you really want to have a negative impact on the advertisers, do not let them know you are watching and more so, do not buy the Colarado.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 05:12:33 PM »
C'mon Lost and Cracka, I believe it's more important they know their ad can lead "the unwashed" into unsafe practises.

It's all well and good to say "I don't care" but what happens if one of your friends or family gets hurt as a result of someone seeing this and copying the behaviour without knowing the dangers.

My philosophy is to point out to anyone, the error of their ways. If they choose to accept my advice then we will all be safer. Should they choose to ignore or put down my advice or opinion, they do so at their own but more importantly innocent bystanders risk. I sleep very well with a clear conscience and never worry "should I have helped them"?
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 11:28:50 PM »

I Agree with Lost here.  If you really want to have a negative impact on the advertisers, do not let them know you are watching and more so, do not buy the Colarado.

:cheers: Cracka

Thats why I bought a Workmate. lol
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »
After vwe have discussed the snatching of the rig , what else will OH &S climb into them for  ???. Once again the TV shows us the " real " world , the truck is as clean as it didnt break traction in the mud . It must be the new dust/mud repelent paint used so nothing sticks . So how will you be able to tell the world you have been away if the rig is always clean    ,   so sad  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline bundyfamily

• Swag User
Actually complained about an ad on the idiot box
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:19 AM »
This is the tow ball / ring feeder combo on my work cruiser. I Regularly use a heavy chain on it to pull stuff around, I never use a snatching technique and always use it with the ring feeder locked down and the safety pin through the locking mechanism. It Is made to tow large trailers and such that have a ring as the hitch up point. ( it has an 8t load rating stamped on the side of it) When ever I pull something with it we ensure that the chain used is inspected and has a current tag on it of testing and compliance. And ensure that we use a Spotter and that no one is in the firing line, in saying that we never exceed the load rating of the chain or Any Bow shackles used. In 10 years we have never had an incident or failure.
I hope I haven't opened myself up to a bombardment.
Just my opinion
Live life on the edge buy a Hayabusa!!!

Offline bundyfamily

• Swag User
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 06:59:34 AM »

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »

I am curious to know what the rate of the pin is that holds the tow bar in the sleeve. I thought this would break first under pressure.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:51 AM »
Seriously, how would an ad agency know?

We only know because we are around them. I saw a ad with the bloke crossing his arms as he steered - how dumbs that!
You would think by now with litigation they would run ads past industry before release.

Please explain ???

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline bundyfamily

• Swag User
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
The pin is a standard shape High tensile steel pin, it is larger in diameter to the one that holds the tow bar in the receiver on my Patrol by a few mm. I am in no way condoning bad behavior as this is a practice that I have to resort to at times to get it done and I take safety very seriously. All of the hazards are identified
Pryor to Making a pull. To show a chain wrapped around a tow ball in an ad may make some people in TV land think that this is normal which it is not.

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
but my understanding is that a chain won't recoil like a strap or winch wire.;D

Comments on chain breaking under load?

Tim

Here is an example for you of what could happen.

Hubby was in a tractor (rather large) with an offset behind - he fixed a chain to the rear of his tractor and threaded the chain under/through the offset to a steel stay in the ground.  He had the pressure on the chain and as he was pulling the stay out of the ground it (the stay) snapped.

The chain went back the way it come and went right under the tractor and ended up fully extended out from the rear of his tractor to out in front.  He said he never did find the broken off steel stay that was attached to the end of the chain. 

Peanut

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
I understand the concerns here, but let's face it. The majority in a bog/stuck/tow situation will use a towball most of the time without having watched this ad. Why? Because they rarely find themselves in that kind of situation while driving 99.9% tar

For my $2...anyone who believes the ads they see deserve a towball traveling at 100mph to the head!
Bob and Robyn

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »
someone did the maths with the energies involved - I wish I knew where - and to summarise, a 'typical' snatch, with a failed towball, resuts in a towball being launched at 340-ish KMH.. around 200mph to the head

Find us on Facebook

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
someone did the maths with the energies involved - I wish I knew where - and to summarise, a 'typical' snatch, with a failed towball, resuts in a towball being launched at 340-ish KMH.. around 200mph to the head

Even better!  ;)
Bob and Robyn

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
ha ha yeah, I spend half my weekends trying to make things lighter and faster   ;D

Find us on Facebook

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
looks like they will have recieved quite a few complaints over this ad

Hello Member Clubs,
Please find attached out press release regarding the Holden Colorado TV advertisement.

The Holden Australia TV advertisement shows unsafe recovery techniques, which includes the use Non Rated recovery points on both vehicles (tow ball on the Colorado and the metal bar on the truck) and minimum safe distance for on lookers/recovery team from the recovery (men standing to the side and in between the vehicles in question).

Four Wheel Drive Queensland and Four Wheel Drive Australia have both have written to Holden Australia about their unsafe recovery practices used in the advertisement.

I will keep you updated with the progress.

Thank you and have a nice day

Jenni Laing

Public Relations
Four Wheel Drive Queensland

M: 0412 741 815
E: pr@4wdqld.com.au

P.O. Box 174. BRISBANE MARKETS  QLD  4106
www.4wdqld.com.au
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
must admit i've not taken any notice of it until now.......... the ad that really annoys me at the moment is that Foxtel ad about not needing to commit.....the tattoo one is fine, but the wedding one really annoys me, i know it is meant as a joke but i find if offensive, not funny

but i guess i am becoming my father more and more each day  ;D
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
Hi,
  reply from sending an email to local Holden dealer.

8<---------------------------------------------------

Dear xxx

We refer to your recent email regarding the Colorado advertising campaign.We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.Holden values customer comments and feedback and appreciates the time you have taken to write to us.

While we devote considerable resources prior to the release of any advertisement or marketing campaign, we understand that occasionally there will be areas that are open to constructive comments.In response to feedback, the advertisement in question was modified immediately by Holden prior to national syndication, however, some regional and pay-tv stations may not have received these changes in time.

As a result the original version of the as may have screened in some instances over the weekend. We are currently working with media outlets to ensure all original versions of the advertisement are removed and replaced with the rectified advert.We are currently working with the national 4WD motoring body (4WD Australia) with the intention of ensuring that we depict a safe recovery of a stranded vehicle in any further advertisement.

Please be assured that Holden places a great deal of emphasis on the views and opinions held by our customers.

We are proud of our company's strong reputation within the Australian community and safety remains our highest priority in all that we do.

Please understand that our intentions are not meant to offend or make light of any safety issue and we wish to offer our sincere apologies.

Regards,
Kimberley Davies
Holden Customer Assistance Centre

8<---------------------------------------------------------------

cheers