Author Topic: NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016  (Read 81835 times)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NSW - Drivers and Cyclists - New laws March 2016
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2016, 12:33:18 PM »
I haved a few simple questions/comments.

Someone wrote that bikes hold traffic up a couple of seconds.
              Sorry thats just crap. Bikes hold traffic up far longer peddling uphill swaying all over the road and barely doing 2 klm/hr.
              When one finally gets past them, they just overtake and get back in the front at the next set of lights, swerving through
              the cars, knocking mirrors and scratching paint as they go. I have been on the bad end of this practice several times and
              it has held me up considerably longer than a few seconds. I would never have caught the lights in the first place if the bike
              had not held me us so long.

Why is it such an impost to have to carry ID?
            You have to carry ID when you travel, when you drive, when you fish, and any number of other places.
            A small card sized identification is far from bulky or heavy, what is the problem?
            Or is it because it gives you the ability to remain anomalous when you have done something wrong or plan to
            commit a traffic offence?

Mention is made of several countries that have few issues with bikes,
            Try China, my friend, bikes are tolerated....barely. The new world uses scooters and bikes are frowned upon or even targeted.
            Other countries have better roads and much better infrastructure to allow harmonious existence between bikes and cars.
            The pathetic roads, goat tracks, disgusting lack of planning and useless bureaucracy do nothing to help make our traffic
            system safe or even functional. And this is not going to get any better in the short term because our public servants and
            politicians are far more worried about what they can get out of the system than what they can do to make it better.

And why do most bike riders have permanent PMS?
           Anger is the only constant with bike riders, my sister was verbally and very nearly physically assaulted by a bike rider because
           she had the temerity to actually turn left at an intersection legally while indicating said maneuver. The bike rider was screaming up
           the inside and rammed her vehicle, he then leapt off his bike, kicked the door in and started to move on her. Fortunately the driver
           of the car behind intervened and, as the rider was a typical coward, he backed off. The damage to the door was never paid,
           and the rider rode off threatening to find her and kill her. Obviously a nice bloke. At least he didnt damage his Lycra too badly.

Finally, About this meter and a half clearance.
          What of you are driving and a bike comes up alongside you from behind?
          Does one swerve to the right to ensure the required personal space is maintained?
          What if you are in heavy traffic? how does one comply with this law as the bike meanders down in between cars?
          I can see it now, as the rider rides through the traffic the cars all swerve to maintain distance, crashing into each other in a
          mad attempt to give this bike space. Heaven forbid should the bike come a croppers, and the car actually runs him over,
          fingers pointed directly at the car driver, not at the idiot on the bike who was the real cause. Its a legal nightmare.

Oh FFS................ ARE YOU FRIGGIN SERIOUS?????

Why ruin a perfectly good and entertaining thread that we are all enjoying by posting something logical and rational?

Seriously!!! What are you trying to do???  :police: :police: :police:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #201 on: February 06, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »

All the agro from drivers seems to come from those who think the have the right to have everyone else get out of their way - which they don't.

Typical lycra terrorist view.........you're right, you have the right of way on the road. We vehicle drivers will just stop and wait for you............. the law abiding holier than thou justification of their lycra clad existence.......
pedestrians HAVE been killed because these poor excuse of human beings think that they can "race" whilst wearing their preffered latte lycra on a combined  ( be it cars or pedestrians ) road or path.........

I'll spell it out.........if you want to train to be the best latte lycra terrorist you can be,  do it on a velodrome...........everyone else has to use a specific place to train ( pool, race track, sporting venue etc) what give you the god given right to disrupt everyone else just to appease your ego........
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #202 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »
Typical lycra terrorist view.........you're right, you have the right of way on the road. We vehicle drivers will just stop and wait for you............. the law abiding holier than thou justification of their lycra clad existence.......
pedestrians HAVE been killed because these poor excuse of human beings think that they can "race" whilst wearing their preffered latte lycra on a combined  ( be it cars or pedestrians ) road or path.........

I'll spell it out.........if you want to train to be the best latte lycra terrorist you can be,  do it on a velodrome...........everyone else has to use a specific place to train ( pool, race track, sporting venue etc) what give you the god given right to disrupt everyone else just to appease your ego........

I'm not a Lycra wearer, I don't 'train' on the road, I don't ride 'just to distrust everyone else'. I ride for transport, sometimes that is riding to and from my 'training ground'.

Let's compare how many pedestrians have been killed by cars vs cycles? I think there might have been one pedestrian killed in the last couple of years by a bike, there are dozens more by cars.

Other than that, I sincerely hope you are just trolling, it scares me that there are some people out there that have that attitude against something I choose to do within the law.

I hate cigarette smoke, the smell, th health issues etc. but if you are exercising your right to do it and are doing so lawfully I just deal with it by moving away, I'm not going to run over there and grab it out of your mouth or get all ranty at you.

Just deal with the fact that cyclists are allowed to be on the roads, they delay you by seconds or at worst maybe a minute and with all that extra effort of moving your foot onto the brake then back to the accelerator afterwards I'm sure it's really going to damage your health.

I'm sick of the anti Lycra cyclist rhetoric, just get over yourselves, not everyone who rides a bike is one of them, they are the minority.

I keep coming back here trying to use reason, and considered statements, not ranty shouts hate speech but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Go And get stuck in some traffic, I want to go for a ride, and my family wants me to get back home in one piece.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:30:59 PM by NewieCamper »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »

Seriously how many pedestrians have been killed by cyclist???

We train on the road because we race on the road.......seems to meet the specific place to train.

I prefer the title 'tour de suburbs'.....when I'm training otherwise I'm commuting to work.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2016, 02:17:54 PM »
We train on the road because we race on the road.......seems to meet the specific place to train.

I guess these guys can, if they were still alive, use the same excuse...
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/two-dead-after-horror-smash-on-western-ring-road-20160126-gmem87.html
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2016, 02:31:19 PM »
Seriously how many pedestrians have been killed by cyclist???

I prefer the title 'tour de suburbs'.....when I'm training otherwise I'm commuting to work.

Google it.........but I know of 2 in perth recently, 1 being a young engineer from work......and a year or so ago in sydney......
and what happened to all the law abiding cyclists out there that ring their bell when approaching pedestrians.......zip zilch nada........oh, that's right, don't have a bell......as it'll spoil my Frappuccino look at the cafe.......

now, I  can drag the racecar outta the garage and "train" on the road by your logic...... ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:34:25 PM by doc evil »
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »
Google it.........but I know of 2 in perth recently, 1 being a young engineer from work......and a year or so ago in sydney......
and what happened to all the law abiding cyclists out there that ring their bell when approaching pedestrians.......zip zilch nada........oh, that's right, don't have a bell......as it'll spoil my Frappuccino look at the cafe.......

now, I  can drag the racecar outta the garage and "train" on the road by your logic...... ::) ::)

Ok, I googled it.
Here: http://acrs.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Grzebieta-McIntosh-Chong-Pedestrian-Cyclist-Collisions-Issues-and-Risk..pdf
It says
 "This comparison indicates that the risk of a pedestrian being struck down by a bicyclist and killed is currently less than the risk of being struck by lightning (0.1 chances of fatality per million person years), 23 times less likely than tripping on a footpath or roadway (1.15 chances of fatality per million person years), 200 times less likely being involved in an airline crash (10 chances of fatality per million person years), and 700 times less likely than being struck and killed by a motor vehicle (35 chances of fatality per million person years)."
Four deaths between 2001 and 2006. Stop everything we need to solve this problem now! Oh, wait maybe we should get cars off the roads, it is 700 times more likely to cause a fatality to a pedestrian, let alone maim, damage or injure: cyclists, other motorists, fences, shop fronts, kangaroos... Etc.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »
Oh, has anyone here ever gone for a Sunday drive, where the point of the drive is just to see stuff, or get out of the house? Maybe you shouldn't be doing that either, becuase that is exactly what a training cyclist is doing.

Using 'taking your race car out on the road' is a ridiculous example, unless you can drive it within the law and still consider it training. most training cyclists are still going to stick to the speed limit, becuase riding a bike as fast as possible tends to be under the posted limit and follow other rules becuase not doing so significantly increases the risk of being hit by a car, and that hurts.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »
In the cited paper 138 cyclists died in the Netherlands, a place noted for its widespread adoption of a culture of cycling, compared to 28 in Australia (page 10). Australia's population is approximately 30% more than the Netherlands. So even in a culture with a long and widespread history of cycling, the number of cycling deaths seem to be associated wth the volume of cyclists rather than a ratio per capita. A quick browse of the internet shows that four times the number of cyclists died in the Netherlands in 2015 v Australia. So maybe all of this suggests that things in Australia aren't as bad as some people seem to believe. Either that or all those road warrior maniacs are especially short sighted  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:43:03 PM by plusnq »

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:59 PM »
There is now a cycle path from Grafton to Junction Hill(Not very long BTW) Cyclist can't use it because the stay at home mums power walk their prams in groups trying to loose the baby fat on their arse, maybe there needs to be Prams paths.  ???
Funny to see tho,
All dress the same, tennis cap on, lose shirts, white joggers and wearing Mumble pants which look like they were sprayed on. From behind it looks like two possums fighting in a chaff bag.
 ;D

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2016, 04:11:32 PM »
There is now a cycle path from Grafton to Junction Hill(Not very long BTW) Cyclist can't use it because the stay at home mums power walk their prams in groups trying to loose the baby fat on their arse, maybe there needs to be Prams paths.  ???
Funny to see tho,
All dress the same, tennis cap on, lose shirts, white joggers and wearing Mumble pants which look like they were sprayed on. From behind it looks like two possums fighting in a chaff bag.
 ;D

So, now there isn't a cycle path.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
I have to agree that motorist , motorcycles and bike cycles have to co exist on the roadways.

But why do cyclist believe that if and when riding in a group that they all have right of way on a bloody roundabout.

Come on guys , 40 bikes in a line 100metres long does not constitute a single vehicle .

But be warned the motorist who does have the right of passage if he/she dares to use that law abiding right and drive onto the roundabout.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »
I have to agree that motorist , motorcycles and bike cycles have to co exist on the roadways.

But why do cyclist believe that if and when riding in a group that they all have right of way on a bloody roundabout.

Come on guys , 40 bikes in a line 100metres long does not constitute a single vehicle .

But be warned the motorist who does have the right of passage if he/she dares to use that law abiding right and drive onto the roundabout.
Have the smallest ounce of patience. Those 40 riders will take approx. 1minute to clear the roundabout.

How much do we have to compensate you to get that 60 seconds back in your life?
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »
So, now there isn't a cycle path.....
Nope,
You'll see the odd kid riding their pushie or  kids on a skateboards or Ripsticks.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
Have the smallest ounce of patience. Those 40 riders will take approx. 1minute to clear the roundabout.

How much do we have to compensate you to get that 60 seconds back in your life?

What about the rules of the road, do they not exist ?

time

« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »
Nope,
You'll see the odd kid riding their pushie or  kids on a skateboards or Ripsticks.
So now the cyclists know the frustration of being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle, Karma, suck it up Princesses :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:46:07 PM by time »

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
So now the cyclists know the frustration of being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle, Karma, suck it up Princess :(
Cyclists don't use the cycle path, they ride on the road(Which is the Summerland H/way) having trucks cross double white lines to get around them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:02:21 PM by Hairs »

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »

What about the rules of the road, do they not exist ?

No you have never broken a road rule????

How bout a bit of give and take.......

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
If the 40 odd cyclists were like the riders in this video clip , I would wait all day at the roundabout.  8) 8) ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_NJmrvc0wc

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »
Just back from a 20klm bike ride, I didn't annoy any motorists as I road on a bike trail. There were a few Strava hero's, why are they too cool to have a bell fitted to their bike?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2016, 07:09:51 PM »

But what is different to what happens now, with peak hour traffic with cars? You can sit there for ages trying to get a break to get through.  ???

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2016, 07:27:47 PM »
But what is different to what happens now, with peak hour traffic with cars? You can sit there for ages trying to get a break to get through.  ???

Foo

Just about every argument to justify one side's view point can be just about be reversed to support the other side either positive or negative.  Bottom line the new rules will be coming into force in a couple of weeks in NSW, like it or not we have to get used to it and accept it or pay the fine
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: discoteddy

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:31 PM »
I seem to get held up more by vehicles than bikes every day...maybe they should get off the road...oh wait...

Love these discussions...especially on a forum where people own big slow ponderous vehicles and tow massive weights behind them...but they complain about other holding THEM up. If it was so delusional it would be pretty funny...

I know what..let's all get in out cars (thus adding to congestion) and drive to where we "allowed" to exercise (velodrome/gym etc). That makes sense...or even better...let's all drive to and from school/uni/wk...imagine how delayed the poor 'car' drivers would be then! Sounds like Nirvana to me!!!

I love how people talk about how dangerous riding is but are happy to jump in their smoke boxes and play out in the traffic for their holidays! I am sure more people die 4wding every year but that seems ok?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
I
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:42:14 PM by TheWall »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2016, 07:35:25 AM »
[quote author=TheWall link=topic=46262.msg798093#msg798093 date=1454762431

I love how people talk about how dangerous riding is but are happy to jump in their smoke boxes and play out in the traffic for their holidays! I am sure more people die 4wding every year but that seems ok?

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
I
[/quote]

I'm  sure the people trying to justify the pushy existance won't stop using their cars, so that argument is just not on.
Smoke box ??  What's that  ??

You want to ride on the roads. ....that's your decision,  but don't complain about reckless drivers mowing you down,  you're not alone,  motorbike riders get the same treatment. .....most times they just don't see you.
How many of you wear an orange helmet and vest??  I bet none ??
How many of you wear ballet shorts (lycra) and a shirt with names all over it that gives the impression you've just come back from the tour de france.....but does nothing for visibility ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra