Author Topic: Guess what I saw in Birdsville  (Read 13456 times)

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Guess what I saw in Birdsville
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
A meter in each car that registers km used and sends you a monthly bill type thing ????????

Hi,
    Yep, OEM or aftermarket black box complete with GPS, SIM card, flight recorder, 360 ° dash cam, driver cam, breath test on startup, TPMS and auto withdrawal from your bank account for the vehicle use and traffic violations.
 Similar from the driver cam (facial recognition) for your licence status check, third party and optional comprehensive insurance risk (based on your age, demographic, and past driving performance).

1984 on steroids.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:56:38 PM by austastar »

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
I'm going to be the odd on out and say just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just imagine the towing bill if that car broke down in Birdsville??

Yes I also understand the old generation of 4WD's will be fazed out, but that time isn't now.

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
Lol same as ciggies. Tax the people that won't conform to make up for the ones that do. Then add extra tax on the next leccy bill.

Once everything is computerised and we are online everywhere, like previously stated, automatic fines based on android and Apple devices going too fast in a sixty zone.

No more speed cameras needed, your car will dob you in

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:21:17 AM by JD-120 »
Cheers

Justin

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
Quote from: Beachman
I'm going to be the odd on out and say just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just imagine the towing bill if that car broke down in Birdsville??

but think of the meme's the photo it would make :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
I reckon there might be a resurgence of people that actualy know how to mod cars,  and avoid the big brother is watching ...
Its all good to go hi tech with gadgets in a car that sends data,  but to a degree 90%  of the roads will still be dumb in the majority of the country and a car with no tech will mostly be invisible to the overlords .
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:32:45 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 12:53:00 PM »
Maybe it is time to look into this  option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7qvo-aC5k
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
Maybe it is time to look into this  option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7qvo-aC5k

Big motors, big amps, bigger battery !

Just imagine going to the drags....no earmuffs needed and you can talk while the pass is happening. How exciting !!  :'(
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
Lot of people ask what will trucks and trains etc. run on, The huge dump trucks in the mines are electric the diesel motor is only a generator. If you think the technology will take a long time, how for have computers come in the last 30 yrs and there's a a lot of companies working on this technology. Electric motors have a tremendous amount of torque. I had a camry hybrid never stalls because it takes of on the electric motor. the future is coming at us wether we like it or not.If you don't embrace it you'll get left behind. It's alright to say you'll stay with the old fuel driven vehicle's but what might fuel cost as less people use it ?
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
Quote from: gronk
Just imagine going to the drags....no earmuffs needed and you can talk while the pass is happening. How exciting !!  :'(
while watching motogp last night they had the first televised motoE race.. sounded like a 1970's scalextric set.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 06:31:08 PM »
Lot of people ask what will trucks and trains etc. run on, The huge dump trucks in the mines are electric the diesel motor is only a generator....

That would make them diesel powered, just as Tesla's etc are coal powered.

We have a long way to go yet....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
Big motors, big amps, bigger battery !

Well here you go .. The silence is errr umm " So exciting " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATUSAjZPcos
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »

Totally agree if you can't grab a bolt of lightning when you need power something has to produce it & store it for later
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
out of curiosity....aee people allowed to park diesel and petrol powered vehicle in those car parks, or do you get fined for doing so, are they dedicated EV only spaces?

Yes, you will be fined (laws in the process of being drafted), similar to park in a disability space.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »

Agree, 99% of Tesla will be coal power, until battery storage uptake increase.
I have currently one powerwall, have two more on order and they will arrive when my Tesla model 3 arrive.
I will keep my landcruiser 76 for touring, diesel will be around for my lifetime, so no need to go full electric. And nothing beats the sound of a 1VD-FTV 4.5L!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
Quote from: PWE
Yes, you will be fined (laws in the process of being drafted), similar to park in a disability space.
thats awesome for that 1:1,000,000 cars on the road that will never use it or at most use it once a year. Specially in country areas.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
thats awesome for that 1:1,000,000 cars on the road that will never use it or at most use it once a year. Specially in country areas.

There are about 19.2million register vehicles in Australia.
Electric vehicles parked in the charge bay will also be fined if they are not charging and/or if there vehicle finished charging and they do not move them within a set time.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2019, 09:22:06 PM »

The Blues won Game 2, that is just live!
Life will go on, same with new electric vehicle laws.
Still waiting for the detail of how the infrastructure (roads) fuel levy will be replace, but currently their are 19.2million paying and less than 8,000 (electric vehicles) free riding
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »
Lot of people ask what will trucks and trains etc. run on,

Not sure which forum it was on, but it was asked what happened to Hydrogen power. Response from one car company is it's not dead, it will replace large diesels ( trucks, trains etc ) and batteries will replace petrol cars.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »
Not sure which forum it was on, but it was asked what happened to Hydrogen power. Response from one car company is it's not dead, it will replace large diesels ( trucks, trains etc ) and batteries will replace petrol cars.

Gronk’s comments backed up by

https://www.truckinginfo.com/330270/toyota-and-kenworth-unveil-jointly-developed-hydrogen-fuel-cell-truck

TC (not sure why it doesn’t act as a link? 🧐)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:57:17 PM by topcat »
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »
Wonder how the Tesla handled the corrugation

Saw the post on the Tesla forum

The Tesla is a P90D. My “maximum” range at 100kms/hr without AC is now around 430 kms. It is only a tiny amount more than my original P85 (I have the 90 “A” pack). My degradation has been minimal – 2.5% after 3.5 years, 60000kms – which I consider excellent.

Melbourne to Windorah was travelled at road speeds without energy issue.

On the Windorah to Birdsville leg the first 120kms was on the Diamantina Development Road that has a typical centre strip seal. On leaving Windorah the trip computer gave me various warnings with a 5% remaining charge at destination prediction. We managed around 150wh/km at 70kms/hr, making good energy gains over the Tesla trip energy calculation, with the charge at destination growing to 14%. Then onto the Birdsville Development Road, which at best can be called a gravel road. I tried the first 10kms at normal tyre pressures (45psi) and it was absolutely not acceptable for both us and the car. I lowered the pressures to 36psi and it at least became bearable. I had a southerly wind (which kept the dust from other vehicles away to the right but increased energy use) and limited my speed to 50kms/hr to preserve both tyres and energy. My usage varied from 170 to 210wh/km at this speed, which more or less followed the Tesla demand graph. The remaining charge at destination stayed around 14% level for the 268kms of gravel “road”. The total distance was 388kms, and I arrived at Birdsville with 42kms showing. The journey took 7.5 hrs. It was very hard going, very tiring. My wife and I shared the drive equally on 1hr stints.

Charging Locations (Plugshare): Euroa Supercharger, Narrandeera NRMA CHAdeMO, Hillston 15A, Cobar 20A 3ph 14kW (32A 3ph outlet which tripped at anything over 20A!!), Bourke Tesla 22kW destination charger.

Then: Cunnamulla (32A 3ph 22kW), Charleville (32A 3ph 22kW), Quilpie (20A 3ph 14kW), Windorah (20A 3ph 14kW), Birdsville Campsite 15A. The most important attribute of the Tesla making such trips bearable is the 22kW total onboard chargers.

Well spotted, Blue H. The windscreen damage worsened on the return journey from Perth – replaced when back in Melbourne. Since then I have been up to Cairns, as well as a number of South Australia trips.

I’ll take some pictures of the road on the way back, and if anyone is interested I will post them next week.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:27:48 PM by PWE »
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2019, 07:03:40 AM »
Gronk’s comments backed up by

https://www.truckinginfo.com/330270/toyota-and-kenworth-unveil-jointly-developed-hydrogen-fuel-cell-truck

TC (not sure why it doesn’t act as a link? 🧐)

If you highlight it and "Right Click" there is a "Go To" option.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2019, 07:40:20 AM »
Totally agree if you can't grab a bolt of lightning when you need power something has to produce it & store it for later

Not arguing :D, but on that same concept, if you run out of petrol / diesel, it doesn't really work to dig a hole in the ground & just wait for new stuff to come bubbling up to the surface ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday
The following users thanked this post: Pete79

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »

Melbourne to Windorah was travelled at road speeds without energy issue.

On the Windorah to Birdsville leg the first 120kms was on the Diamantina Development Road t... We managed around 150wh/km at 70kms/hr,

Then onto the Birdsville Development Road, which at best can be called a gravel road. I tried the first 10kms at normal tyre pressures (45psi) and it was absolutely not acceptable for both us and the car. I lowered the pressures to 36psi and it at least became bearable... limited my speed to 50kms/hr to preserve both tyres and energy... The total distance was 388kms, and I arrived at Birdsville with 42kms showing. The journey took 7.5 hrs.

Interesting stuff, thanks, PWE

I've never been out there, but know that lot's of you have.

How does 70kph on DDR, then 50 on BDR & 7.5 hrs Windorah - Birdsville stack up ??? Much slower than "normal" or acceptable ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2019, 09:08:59 AM »
Interesting stuff, thanks, PWE

I've never been out there, but know that lot's of you have.

How does 70kph on DDR, then 50 on BDR & 7.5 hrs Windorah - Birdsville stack up ??? Much slower than "normal" or acceptable ???

His biggest problem apart from range is clearance. The Tesla can lift a bit but not similar to 4WD. Also with low profile tyres he didnt feel he could lower them to below 30psi. That would have made for a very firm and uncomfortable ride. I was OP who met him and chatted and we could travel at 90-100 comfortably in the Defender on the BDR. His speed would obviously affect his range which was paramount on this trip.

Cheers

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
Ok - lots of people are jumping on the EV bandwagon, But I want to know who pays fro the infrastructure and the power to recharge these things. Surely its not free??? ??? ???
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.