Author Topic: erasing number plates in posts  (Read 5150 times)

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
erasing number plates in posts
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »

i am curious to know why some swaggers erase their number plates when they post pics of their vehicles/campers

is there a reason for this  ???

jack

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: erasing number plates in posts
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
Probably a vain attempt to retain a little anonymity.  There's lots of giveaways though when you start posting for long enough.

You think about it though, if you post up that you are attending a Myswag meet on a certain weekend, and your location is pretty obvious from previous posts, the not so honest people do get an open go.  Or if you post up about the mods or accessories you have added to your camper or vehicle to make it something special, it could be considered a shopping list for some.

As I said though, the longer you are posting, and the more pictures you have posted up, and the more times you mention local locations, the more likely it is that your address has been compromised.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:38:41 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
Probably a poor attempt at anonymity.  There's lots of giveaways though when you start posting for long enough.

You think about it though, if you post up that you are attending a Myswag meet on a certain weekend, and your location is pretty obvious from previous posts, the not so honest people do get an open go.  Or if you post up about the mods or accessories you have added to your camper or vehicle to make it something special, it could be considered a shopping list for some.

As I said though, the longer you are posting, and the more pictures you have posted up, and the more times you mention local locations, the more likely it is that your address has been compromised.
Exactly right there GD, I don't post mine and others I do trips with don't post theirs either. I have/am been part of a few forums and I don't post mine on any of them.

Some aren't to concerned but it just what I do.

Cheers
Rich

IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
I hate to play devils advocate GU Rich ... but why bother erasing them ? In a recent Campertrailer mag it had your rig and trailer with plates in full view didnt it ??? :S

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »
the replies sort of make sense, but if i know that "certain" swaggers are meeting up somewhere, i can go and see their rego details anyway

we have a programme at work (which is freely available) where you type in the rego number and it tells us the vin number of the vehicle and if its registered or not (but not the address)

but we also have access to the vicroads database (not freely available) and if we pay a fee we can get the address

so if "some" people want to track you down they can   >:D

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
I hate to play devils advocate GU Rich ... but why bother erasing them ? In a recent Campertrailer mag it had your rig and trailer with plates in full view didnt it ??? :S

Yes your right Chippy there in CTT and others.

I'ts just something I have done for around 7-8 years and habit I have stuck too. The Web is open to anyone but the magazine has a set number readers. Like GD mentioned anyone could look at the forum and see where I or anyone from the forum is off to on a certain weekend. I don't post all my plans or trips just a few. We have great house sitters who feeds our dogs so the place is never empty. I just wish they would stop burning all my Redgum...

Cheers
Rich
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:56:54 PM by GU Rich »

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
the replies sort of make sense, but if i know that "certain" swaggers are meeting up somewhere, i can go and see their rego details anyway

we have a programme at work (which is freely available) where you type in the rego number and it tells us the vin number of the vehicle and if its registered or not (but not the address)

but we also have access to the vicroads database (not freely available) and if we pay a fee we can get the address

so if "some" people want to track you down they can   >:D

Anyone can type a plate into the Vic Roads website and grab a Vin no. Often Vin No' are published when selling a vehicle also. I could get followed home tomorrow too if someone wants to know where I reside. I often have readers come and chat to me about things they have seen of mine in the magazines also purely because of my number plates. This even happened when I was in Kalbarri WA, not just here in Vic.

It's not the great people off the forum I have met that I cover my plates from or I wouldn't have met any of them.
Like I mentioned above I have my reasons and it's a habit thing also.

:cheers:
Rich
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:15:11 PM by GU Rich »

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
fair enuf GU

It can never hurt to be careful i guess ....Im just too bloody lazy! lol Besides I changed my rego plates a few months back after I lost one 4wding! lol

"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
I can see some rationale for obscuring one's plates, but just don't have time to manipulate the photos to this extent.

If one doesn't do this, be careful that you don't post anything that compromises you legally. I recall that 4WD Monthly (as it was at the time) didn't used to obscure number plates, until they received some attention fro the law for a build up of the Camel Cruiser which was raised beyond the legal limit without engineering approval, something about headlight height was the core issue).
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
I agree with Rich, it is more of a habit than anything. If I am posting pics of other people's vehicles I hide them out of courtesy.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
I'm probably getting more and more slack at erasing my plates, however I normally cover the plates of anyone elses who would not normally post photos on the net.  Alternately pick photos which don't show the plates.

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
I don,t have an issue with it at all just look to the left lol

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
I don't bother - it's not worth the time for me. Anyone can take pictures of my car and put them up - nothing I can do about that. What happens when you take a video? I see countless people on other forums who spend a minute on each photo removing the number plate only to host a video where their plate is in full view. If you are going to do it then it needs to be done every time, and frankly its too hard to do.

How many photos could you get plates off reflections on water/glass with a bit of skill anyway

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:19 PM »
I couldn't be bothered...... ;D
Set your chickens free

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
I normally erase my number plate, but my old Nissan is easy to spot anyhow, something to do with the Nisota on the front of it.  ;D

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

I do this also.  Vehicle isn't mine, so I'm protecting the interests of the owner by not broadcasting their private rego all over the web.  However, you won't get to steal the car as it's not often in my carpark ... and being that it's dark grey ... I'm told it's hard to see anyhow.   ;D

If you really, really, really want to know where I live steal my Shit ... just ask me ... I'll tell you most of it ain't worth stealing.  It's all oldish and really needs replacing if ever the Gosh Darn Financial Crisis ever ends at my place.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
Used to do it, but the novelty wore off.
Figure I'm safe - Nobody wants to steal white petrol Datsuns anyway.....and my camper isn't exactly a $50k Taj Mahal  ....as long as they wash the sheets when they are finished... ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »
So your saying if your plates are posted you could be followed home or tracked down , Thats never happened to me . But I live in hope  >:D   :cheers:                              nobody follows me ,,,,,cant even get a 1/2 decent stalker anymore   :'(  but I dont complain  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
Why is this such an issue Its the vehicle owners right to do what they want with there pictures and if they/we want to block the plates why not  ???
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline mr_cougar79

• Tent User
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
i block my plates out where applicable,i dont have any issues with theft(Insurance) but u just never know who may be viewing???Try to minimise the risk is all...
Name:Matt (VK2ZMT)
2003 HZJ105 GXL 4.2 DTS Turbo Diesel cruiser,2"OME lift,285 Cooper ST Maxx's, .Tough Country Camper (Ex Rental),

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
Read from post #135 onwards.......  http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63841&page=14&pp=10

There was also another case a few years ago where a guy with a modified Nissan Patrol had participated in a program to rescue injured wildlife. His vehicle was pictured on a website and not long after the RTA were in contact for illegal modifications to the vehicle. Apparently some do gooder had dobbed him in.
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
Read from post #135 onwards.......  http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63841&page=14&pp=10

There was also another case a few years ago where a guy with a modified Nissan Patrol had participated in a program to rescue injured wildlife. His vehicle was pictured on a website and not long after the RTA were in contact for illegal modifications to the vehicle. Apparently some do gooder had dobbed him in.

I hope they never pull over my bus, i would just give them the keys :)
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
I used to erase them but can't be bothered anymore
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

crackacoldie

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »
Have never blocked my plates out.  They are in full view of anyone driving down the road.  If anyone wants any info they can drag it from there not just off a photo.

:cheers: Cracka