Author Topic: Long Range fuel Tanks  (Read 10784 times)

Offline Glenno

• Tent User
  • Happy when I'm in the red dirt!
Re: Long Range fuel Tanks
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
With my 100 series, I took out sub tank and put in a 55 L water / 122 L fuel tank. Love the extra range, particularly for all the many desert trips we do ( inc on the Simpson where I didn't have to carry extra Jerries) 

The only thing that annoys me is the extra weight I'm carrying. Still...... Worth it in the end.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 08:16:12 AM »
If was to do anything on the Patrol , I'd do the sub tank only, and keep the factory main tank. It doesn't need any more weight behind the rear axle.

There seems to be plenty of reports of aftermarket tanks cracking.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:24 AM »
There seems to be plenty of reports of aftermarket tanks cracking.
Mine cracked when we were in the kimberly last month, on the Mitchell plateau of all places.   Mech that fixed it for us (Dustin @ Kununurra 4wd) said they fixed at least 30 a year, others I spoke too said the same.

Mine has copped a battering, done plenty of bad roads & plenty of miles, im not too upset about one small repairable crack in 8 years.

Offline patroldude

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
Totally worth it, replaced my  main tank from a 90L to a 145L and sub tank from a 30L to a 70L. Capacity changed from 120l to 215L.  Has completely changed our touring destinations. All the weight is under the Patrol now, which can only be a good thing. Had it for 4 years now no signs of any damage. Do it if u can. Cheers
2000 GU 4.2TD
227-RWHP 662-RWNM
UFI-20G, DC6 250 HP
CC Ultimate Intercooler
Fatz 4 Inch Snorkel & Air Box 
2011 TVAN Murranji Mk111 ):

Offline WomblingFree

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 07:11:04 AM »
I have a LongRanger split fuel/water tank in my 100. Gives me about 215L diesel and 50 or so water.

The fuel gauge is the Toyota one refitted to the LR tank. As such it does not work as a full range gauge and can only be used as a guide. This more pronounced on the split tanks as the water partition is recessed into the fuel partition which prevents the fuel gauge being able to float to the top anyway. It also did not read empty in any meaningful manner.

I pulled the sender out and re-bent it so that it flags the empty light when there is about 20 litres left so I know I have some 100Kms range before I'm screwed. Takes several 100Km's before the gauge moves down from full.

The LR tanks are made of 2mm steel (water partition is stainless). I've dropped the truck off a ledge onto a rock via the tanks rear corner. Put a bit of a dent in the tanks floor but did not deform the corner or damage the welds.

My only bitch with the tank is that driving up a low range 2nd gear hill, I have had the car stall due to fuel starvation. The tank still had 30% in it on the flat which has to be at least 50-60L so I'm guessing there is no baffling to keep the fuel around the pick-up. Really annoying having to swap tanks and prime the fuel system halfway up a very muddy steep slope with a camper on the back.
Have ordered a bore scope so I can peer into the tanks guts and find out what the fuel pick-up arrangement is.

All in all its a great accessory and I wouldn't be without it. Lets you bypass the Innaminka fuel pumps :)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »
Only downside I can think of is filling the tank.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline WomblingFree

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 01:00:43 PM »
Only downside I can think of is filling the tank.

hahaha 
I was reading something today about some guy who (tongue in cheek) was talking about how happy he was filling his petrol 200 series as it added more reward points to his credit card.
Look at the positives :)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
When our club went on a trip, one of the guys filled up his Troopy using 2 bowsers at the same time. One for his main tank, the other for his subtank.
A lady with a sedan complaint to the attendant, who replied: "What is the problem? He is paying for the fuel."
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline RallyDog

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
The 200 series holds 270lts does burn  a holl in ya wallet when emty the only down side is it takes a bit to get use of the fuel gage as it only has the 1 gage and moves slowly as the second tank emptys but still happy with it.

Offline Dexter_1

• Learning the Ropes
  • Hardtop camper user
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
I've just returned from the Kimberely clocking up 14,500 kms. Before I left I had a Brown Davis long range tank installed in my PX Ranger taking my 80 litres to 145 litres. This along with the two gerry cans on the Cub gave me 185 litres. The key purpose was that I could get where ever I wanted, not having to fill up at what I did see as some dubious bowsers and not being reliant on some potentially unreliable (opening) fuel outlets. The long range tank is for me, a comfort thing giving a great degree of flexibility in picking fuel stops and in beating some very high prices. The reality is that I could have done the whole trip without the extra storage if I was prepared to stop at all the fuel outlets available and had the faith in driving to the tank's limit. The blog of my trip is www.pjklel.wordpress.com
If it is to be, it is up to me!
PX Ranger Dual Cab XLT 4x4 and Cub Daintree LE 2014
Blog www.pjklel.wordpress.com

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
Thanks for the info dexter

PS i love the blog

I Drink & I Know Things