Author Topic: Sleeping Bags  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
Sleeping Bags
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:48:52 AM »
We’re looking for a couple of good winter sleeping bags - I really feel the cold and we have few trips planned for next winter and after suffering this year I want to be more prepared next year. I have had look at a couple of the 4WD supercentre Kings Premium sleeping bags and they seem to be ok. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Offline Anakist

• Swag User
Re: Sleeping Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:11:28 AM »
Whichever one you get, look at a liner. You could just buy a flannel liner (if that is even a thing. Can you sew?) and use that instead of a new bag. Otherwise do you want good or cheap? Good ones will be lighter, roll up smaller, breathe better etc, but cost more. Cheap ones might be ok, but could have serious limitations. We bought some nice ones to take bicycle touring and small and light was one of our main concerns. Pretty sure we ended up getting them from anaconda in the end.

I have the opposite problem, far far too hot to be stuck in a sleeping bag no matter the temperature outside!

Best of luck.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:12:54 AM »
Good sleeping bags are not sold at Chinese importers. As stated above, a reactor liner makes a world of difference. They are $100 for a good microfibre one at a hiking shop. Good sleeping bags are a few hundred dollars each. If you have room, layer up a few blankets and a doona and you’ll be fine. Good bags are exxy because they pack small. Something a 4wd tourer doesn’t care so much about as a mountain climber.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »
It depends on how you will use it, I have 3 bags for different purposes. You need to work out how you will carry it and what temp you'll be camping in.
Oztent Rivergum - For vehicle camping trips, big and bulky but toasty warm and comfortable.
Fairydown Lightweight - It is a -10 bag and too warm for most camping other than Alpine. It's a down bag and packs medium, it's a mummy shape and tight to sleep in
Mont Helium 300 - 0 degree bag suitable for most spring/summer camping, it's a down bag and packs very small, for hiking/bikepacking
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:25:31 AM »
I am in a similar position and recently bought a new bag. I too feel the cold more now and needed something a bit warmer for those cold desert nights and winter in the high country. Plus it has to be ok for warmer camping. Preferably not taking up too much room in the car too.

Here is what I learned/know that may be useful.
There is a standard for warmth. EN 13537 - or the new ISO equivalent. Don't get a bag that doesn't show this.
It has a comfort temperature, lower limit (  uncomfortably cold) and extreme ( not quite dead)
Be super careful which temperature the manufacturer is claiming.  Some show comfort. Some quote a lower limit. Especially cheap ones.
IMHO if you feel the cold, get at least 5 degrees lower than the comfort temp that you expect to camp at. Ie for me that was -8 to - 12 to camp in -2 to -3 degrees.
I usually get up to go to the toilet. That means zips all the way down.  This also means you can open it up if you get too hot.
A liner will add 5 degrees rating. And you can have a summer-winter bag, but they are a bitch to get in and out of in the middle of the night - See above
Down is warmer and more compact but get water-resistant ones. Synthetic is best it if can get wet.

I had a Denali -10c comfort for many years. That's crap. It was freezing at - 2 Don't get Denali ( anaconda).

If you feel the cold, definitely get -6 comfort rating or lower.

I ended up getting a Sea to Summit Altitude AC3 from tent world. That wasn't cheap but it met all my criteria plus is fairly compact so it packs away without much space and will be great for even snow trips ( i bloody froze last time),

If you want to be warm in winter, and have a bag that's not too large when packed that means dollars unfortunately.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:29:34 AM by boobook »

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
I agree with Boobook, great advice.

I have had a down bag for years and can certainly recommend them, but they are pricey. The liners are great too and help to prevent sweat from entering your bag and reducing it's efficiency.

One thing I would look for is a bag that opens up with the zip down the side. I have a 'semi-rectangular' side zip model that can be used as a doona when the temperatures are warmer, or closed up when cold. Make sure they have a hood too. Sewn through baffling versus the much better box wall baffles also makes a big difference.

Don't forget that what you are sleeping on is also very important as a huge amount of cold comes in from underneath if you aren't well insulated. Old style airbeds can be shockers. If you are in a camper the cold can come up through the floor under the bed and I have heard of people insulating under the mattress with great success.

I wish you well in whatever you choose as I know what it is like to spend the night shivering.

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
We have got Black wolf for our kids. We went camping on the weekend and my wife was freezing and the older of the girls couldn't stay in her bag as she was to hot. It is the -5 I think (we got that when we lived in Canberra). We ended up with the +5 for the younger daughter. They are great bags and can't fault them.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
It doesn't matter what rating the bag is. Once the loft is flattened under your body you are relying on something else to keep you warm. Hammock users (I am one) know all about cold bums, that is why they (we) use sleeping bags which go on the outside of the hammock rather than the inside.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »
As one of the peeps said above i have the opposite issue and usually get too hot

For vehicle trips i have ditched the sleeping bag all together and while bulky i take a double doona and fold it in half lengthwise and just slip in between. Makes it nice and easy to fold down my chest or do the old foot out the side to regulate temperature and no zips to manage for the midnight pee

Throw a bit of that anti moisture matting underneath and i can even get away without a mattress on some occasions
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »
Another handy thing is cheap polar fleece blankets from Best & Less, Big Dub's wherever.

One inside the bag & another outside will add 5 - 10` of warmth & comfort ;D

Plus, you can also use them over your shoulders, to keep the damp off, while sitting around the fire 8)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 09:41:42 AM »
Is this inside your camper, or a tent/swag??

Quote from: GBC
Good sleeping bags are not sold at Chinese importers.
What he said is spot on.

a good sleeping bag will cost you.. but also insulate yourself from underneath..  We have an old normal doonha under us, and an Alpaca doonah we got from Goulburn on top.. VERY toasty even in high country

Or go a diesel heater and you can have it 30 inside the tent all night if you want..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
check these out, a bag for every occasion.

https://dunnandwatson.com.au/shop/caravan-camper-trailer-parts-direct/crashpad-swags/crashpad-sleeping-bag/
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline 2Strokeit

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »

We’re looking for a couple of good winter sleeping bags -  Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Snow Peak Ofuton sleeping bag!
https://www.drifta.com.au/product/snow-peak-ofuton/

We got them from luke a couple of years ago, been to Cape York, Kimberleys, Melbourne-Adelaide  and central Australia in winter and wouldn't buy anything else for car/caravan camping. .
2 different  thickness choices that we zip together, when zipped together cover a queen bed footprint.  They are extra long and wide and have footbox flap zips. Very comfortable and never been cold.I think -2°c is the lowest we've been to so far.
We have a roof top tent with an aluminum base/floor that has an under mattress heater and we haven't needed the heater since buying these sleeping bags
At home i will sleep on top of sheets and the wife will be under the doona even in summer in SE qld and she loves the warmth and comfort from the thickness of Ofuton.
We've treid a lot of sleeping bags and we bought some in Canada 20 years ago that the kids occasionally  use now but i would recommend the Ofuton if you want the best value for money.
The Black Diamond down throw rug at Costco is good value at $33 if your handy with a thread picker you can take out baffle stitches to increase loft as the down is good quality.
I've sewn 2 top quilt for my kids hammocks out of the costco quilts  and they've used it at 5° c and been warm, just had to take the down from one to add extra loft. Its all down no sharp quills from outside feathers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Offline Throbbinhood

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
I've been a critic of the Kings gear for the longest of times, but a mate lent me his kings sleeping bag and it was both huge and toasty. I ended up buying four of them for the wife and kids. I'm still very critical of a lot of their gear but the sleeping bags are mint.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »
The experts say down is best and I have one that has kept me warm in the swag on more than a  few -3C nights out in the desert.

I bought it  more than a decade ago at a runout sale for around $200. I hate to think what one might cost now.

Manufacturers ratings can be only a guide and it would be awful to buy one that didn't live up  it.

As insurance look at what you wear to bed. If I think  its going to be really cold my tactic is to don some thermal underwear, long johns and vest,  usually a bit before bedtime so you are not exposing bare skin to the chill just before diving into bed.

Suitable clothing might help overcome shortcomings in the sleeping bag.

And a beanie is essential.

Sometimes I get it wrong and it's too hot but its easier to unzip the sleeping bag and stick a leg out or get rid of a layer than it is to try and warm up at 4am.

good luck with the search

The following users thanked this post: Ger08

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
Simply have a look at Roman sleeping bags, meet ISO and lifetime warranty on zips, plus full range of temp available,  they've been around that long, Noah had one on the Ark
Stay safe and play fair.

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
We use duvets (doonas?) rather than sleeping bags. One under and one over. Sometimes a blanket too. I find bags far too restricting. and I like to stick my feet out. The bed base is also insulated with some army surplus sleeping mats. I intend to stick some PIR insulation board on the exterior of the bed base to improve things some more.

Been good down to -10 on one occasion.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 07:08:25 PM »
Simply have a look at Roman sleeping bags, meet ISO and lifetime warranty on zips, plus full range of temp available,  they've been around that long, Noah had one on the Ark
x2 for Roman bags. I bought a Roman Flight 500 (down, -5 deg rating)sleeping bag about 25 years ago and my son still uses it to this day. I used it all year round when camping in the Blue Mountains.

These days I've got a cheapish Coleman bag for myself - the outer and inner are both made of a flannel material which I like the feel of more than the nylon of the Roman bag.

The other thing to remember, especially with down bags, is to get yourself a calico or similar stuff-sack to store it in at home. Keeping your sleeping bag in the compression bag they usually come in quickly long term crushes the down and reduces its efficiency.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 07:59:17 PM »
x2 for Roman bags. I bought a Roman Flight 500 (down, -5 deg rating)sleeping bag about 25 years ago and my son still uses it to this day. I used it all year round when camping in the Blue Mountains.

These days I've got a cheapish Coleman bag for myself - the outer and inner are both made of a flannel material which I like the feel of more than the nylon of the Roman bag.

The other thing to remember, especially with down bags, is to get yourself a calico or similar stuff-sack to store it in at home. Keeping your sleeping bag in the compression bag they usually come in quickly long term crushes the down and reduces its efficiency.
I still have my Roman flight 1000 too and love it. 1 kg of Certified Pyrenees goose down filling. I’ve been on hunting trips where it has had a layer of ice on it in the morning and still went ok. It was about $300 if I remember correctly though. These days I can sacrifice a bit of space and take the synthetic black wolf bag which will handle moisture better but is bulkier and heavier. For anything but mid winter trips I have a tiny Roman palm 500 and a Kathmandu reactor liner which both pack down to nothing compared to the -15 bags above.

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 10:33:55 AM »

I still have a roman bag i bought in 1990 back when they were made here in Melbourne.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 02:07:46 AM »
Thanks for all the responses and sound advice. The search continues but I’ve narrowed it down.