Author Topic: Sharing KML Files, any Wiz Kids?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Sharing KML Files, any Wiz Kids?
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Hi Clever Swaggers.
I am looking to be sharing the KML File from Google maps where I have info on various camping places etc.
Is it possible to do this and keep my details hidden?
I presently have several "Unlisted" Maps on the go via my Google log in on the Maps, I sent the KML File to a 2nd email account on another computer and then looked at it. I did not see any of my information in the file when opened in Google earth, but, I am not very good with computers etc, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows about this?
Thanks
Dave
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
Re: Sharing KML Files, any Wiz Kids?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »
If you have linked to other info that is stored on your computer and then sent your kml file to another computer then your links will be dead.

If this is the case you can store the linked info online somewhere or bundle the lot into a kmz.

As for protecting your identity, so long as you don't have a waypoint at your house or have multiple tracks to/from your house then you should be fine.

Alternatively just log the info in third party software such as everyone's current favourite Wikicamps.
Customline camper trailer

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Re: Sharing KML Files, any Wiz Kids?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Thanks for that, so it is as simple as I had hoped for.
I looked at the Wiki Camps, but don't have a tablet thingy to use, nor smart phone. My phone is more clever, it is a Phone.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB