Author Topic: Calling all Vacation camper owners !!!!  (Read 910 times)

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
Calling all Vacation camper owners !!!!
« on: July 08, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »
Am after your help...

We have been away on several trips, and are having some difficulty in working out how to setup the standard Vacation camper kitchen so it is easy to pack and unpack.

As it doesn't have draws etc, we are finding that we are going through a setup/pack away process each time we are leaving or arriving, and can't just stop on side of road and swing out the kitchen and use for lunch etc.
Just wondering how others have done it ? (if you have photos, that would be great)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frustrated MarkVS   ???
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline DarWen

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Calling all Vacation camper owners !!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
Hi Mark,  I am a bit short on time today but will try and get some photo's of the Draws we got from Bunnings to fit in our kitchen.  Darren

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
We use Oates (I think) brand under the kitchen bench and 2 sets of stackable drawers in the trailer (not sure of brand) but they are quality ones. They are set back far enough to allow tailgate to close. We do have to squat down to pull them out, but load heavy stuff in bottom and light stuuf in top and have a documented spot for each item so you end up learning which drawer to grab when you are after something.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »
Mike,
thanks for that.

I initially had a look at Drifta units, but I think there has to be an easier and cheaper way than replacing it. I'll see what others come back with but maybe finding the right size 'plastic' drawers to fit in the kitchen area, and then in the trailer might be the way to go.

Mark.
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
Yes, the Drifta kitchens are great and I also thought of replacing with them. But the Vacation Camper kitchen is very good as far as camper company supplied ones go. We slide a willow storage box into the right hand side next to the drawer units and it all works quite well. Rest of trailer storage we usually only need to access at setup time and have a couple of large plastic boxes without the lids, positioned so we can get to easliy via under bed flap.

Offline rossow

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22:46 AM »
We use a similar draw system under the benchtop like Mikeb62 has shown, for cutlery. Although i built the draws to get the right fit.  We also use a larger box drawer for a "pantry" type arrangement.

Once the fridge slide is out, we move the larger box with 2 draws in it to the opening between fridge and kitchen. This is our food pantry.

I'll try to find some pics, and if I dont have any I will take some next weekend when we go away.

Offline DarWen

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
Hi Mark,  We have a similar set up to all the other photo's, small tubs under the bench with a larger tub with food inside at the back of the trailer.  on longer stays we use a collapsible  camp cupboard.  Regards Darren.

Offline CampAround

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The count down is on...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
HI Mark,

Wondering what you did to recitfy your problems?

We use the VC kitchen and find it great. I fixed in three sets of oates drawers under the sink for all cutlery, plates, pans etc. Our fridge sits on the slide.
Last thing I need to work out it the pantry. Currently we have our food in a sealed tub on the floor but I have ideas rolling in my head for a better systems.

I'm not a fan of the drifta set ups. I prefer the steel / s/s options for longivety plus the driftas look like they take up too much space. But plenty of people like them so they must work well too.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 01:33:08 PM »
We ended up getting the Drifta DPOR..and It's brilliant. We have found it well worth the money spent.

MarkVS
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

Offline kiwi_camper

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »
We recently got the Drifta DPOR for our VC and love it. We didn't have a s/s kitchen but camping cupboard and tables that took at least an hour to set up and then packing the four large plastic kitchen tubs was like doing a jigsaw puzzle. Now we just slide the kitchen in and out. Yes the DPOR takes up a lot of space but so did the four tubs. We are going back to VC before our next trip to get the fridge slide. Another great space/time saver is their hanging shelves and Driftas Bedside table.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.